Time to make our voices heard! Give us our STRIPES.

You'll get over it, mi'Lord.

After all, it is just a football shirt.

:stuwinky:

I actually think that statement is the crux of the matter mate, because to me and perhaps a few others, it isn't JUST a football shirt 

it's the symbolisation of a club that I have followed all my life and I don't like people to mess with it.

I actually think that statement is the crux of the matter mate, because to me and perhaps a few others, it isn't JUST a football shirt 

it's the symbolisation of a club that I have followed all my life and I don't like people to mess with it.

This is the second day running you've jumped on one of my flippant posts and tried to make a serious point off the back of it.

Go back and read my previous post before that one to see why I was jokingly saying what I did in response to Lord Snooty.

See that 'abomination' was my favourite Wednesday kit as a kid - to me, that was the shirt of my heroes and I wanted to be seen in it everywhere I went. I wanted all my mates down the park wearing their Manchester United, Liverpool and Newcastle shirts to see that I was different; I was Wednesday. And that was the shirt that meant that to me at that crucial time of life where you start to forge a sense of your own identity.

As much as it might pain some, I imagine there'll be kids out there today forming similar attachments to our current shirt, and for them, as for me, Wednesday will not inevitably and exclusively be regular blue and white stripes.

not sure if it's a browser issue, but I can't see the poster attached to quotes - sorry for appearing to pick on you -unintentional but the dispute about 'just a shirt' flippant or not stands 

I have traced the (your) post in question and you'll be surprised that I agree  I suppose it's all about when you first watch the team and what strip you sort of bond with as it were. My lads like the sanderson broad white middle one I feckin hated it .

When I was 7 I won a school art competition for a painting of the owls running out at Hillsborough they had royal blue stripes on black shorts and hooped socks - shut my eyes I'm there and hence my passion 

not sure if it's a browser issue, but I can't see the poster attached to quotes - sorry for appearing to pick on you -unintentional but the dispute about 'just a shirt' flippant or not stands 

I have traced the (your) post in question and you'll be surprised that I agree  I suppose it's all about when you first watch the team and what strip you sort of bond with as it were. My lads like the sanderson broad white middle one I feckin hated it .

When I was 7 I won a school art competition for a painting of the owls running out at Hillsborough they had royal blue stripes on black shorts and hooped socks - shut my eyes I'm there and hence my passion 

Yeah - I think everyone's having the same issues with quotes and notifications. Somebody needs to put another shilling in the meter!

I suppose a lot of it does stem from when you first started supporting the team, and I can understand why some fans prefer blue and white stripes. What I'm struggling to understand is those fans who won't accept that there are those who might prefer to play in something other than blue and white stripes, or claim that 'it won't be Wednesday' if we do so.

Our club has a glorious history, and blue and white stripes are part of that, but so are blue and white hoops, solid blue with white sleeves, blue and white halves, white with blue pinstripes, blue with a white middle panel, and now blue with white pinstripes. If our chairman wants to revert to one of our previous kits, I don't see how this can be construed as throwing away or disrespecting our history.

Now if he wanted us to play in red and white...

:duntmatter:

Nothing scientific here but from my first post 82 +/- were left in total.

62+

20-

So works out about 75% of fans would like to see our stripes and 25% aren't fussed. Who have replied on this thread anyways.

If my math is correct mind you...

Edited by MrTacoSWFC

Nothing scientific here but from my first post 82 +/- were left in total.

62+

20-

So works out about 75% of fans would like to see our stripes and 25% aren't fussed. Who have replied on this thread anyways.

If my math is correct mind you...

I think this would give skewed figures.

A lot on here just defend anything the club does, & slate any perceived critism of the club.

They are not for an all blue kit, just for whatever the club decide. They could be described as Sheep.

Yeah - I think everyone's having the same issues with quotes and notifications. Somebody needs to put another shilling in the meter!

I suppose a lot of it does stem from when you first started supporting the team, and I can understand why some fans prefer blue and white stripes. What I'm struggling to understand is those fans who won't accept that there are those who might prefer to play in something other than blue and white stripes, or claim that 'it won't be Wednesday' if we do so.

Our club has a glorious history, and blue and white stripes are part of that, but so are blue and white hoops, solid blue with white sleeves, blue and white halves, white with blue pinstripes, blue with a white middle panel, and now blue with white pinstripes. If our chairman wants to revert to one of our previous kits, I don't see how this can be construed as throwing away or disrespecting our history.

Blue and white stripes aren't just "part"of our history in an equal measure with those other kits.  Once the kit was established, after a few years of fannying around it was Sheffield Wednesday's identity. Bar an unpopular 60s experiment. 

I was speaking to a Barnsley fan yesterday who was astonished when I told him the stripes are gone again for next year.  But that's Wednesday's kit was his feeling. 

Imagine the uproar if Sunderland switched to an Arsenal kit. I'm surprised we've just bent over but it obviously doesn't bother lots of people. Hey ho. 

Blue and white stripes aren't just "part"of our history in an equal measure with those other kits.  Once the kit was established, after a few years of fannying around it was Sheffield Wednesday's identity. Bar an unpopular 60s experiment. 

I was speaking to a Barnsley fan yesterday who was astonished when I told him the stripes are gone again for next year.  But that's Wednesday's kit was his feeling. 

Imagine the uproar if Sunderland switched to an Arsenal kit. I'm surprised we've just bent over but it obviously doesn't bother lots of people. Hey ho. 

We've been too accepting of this.

If DC changed our name to Chansiri FC,

a section on OT would tell us that's it fine because

:we changed our name in 1929

:chansiri owns the club

:the football is better

:names arent important.

:& slate those resisting the change

We've been too accepting of this.

If DC changed our name to Chansiri FC,

a section on OT would tell us that's it fine because

:we changed our name in 1929

:chansiri owns the club

:the football is better

:names arent important.

:& slate those resisting the change

Social obedience and conformity is now at a level where people are more under the rule of their masters than cattle with nose rings. 

People get an anxiety attack in here at the merest hint of any criticism of the leadership.

A sad reflection if the state of society in my opinion. 

Social obedience and conformity is now at a level where people are more under the rule of their masters than cattle with nose rings. 

People get an anxiety attack in here at the merest hint of any criticism of the leadership.

Either that or they don't mind the idea of a blue football shirt with white arms.

They see any one specific criticism of DC (or CC) as an all out assault of every decision they've made. 

It another example of binary thinking, which plagues OT, but also makes it lively.

It comes back down to identity though

This year especially, as we prepare to celebrate 150yrs of history and tradition

How would you best identify those factors that BELONG to Sheffield Wednesday - the things we call OURS?

The fans obviously, we're a constant(hopefully) - generation on generation

Not the players, or staff, or owners, or directors - their efforts are appreciated, but they aren't the club, and their contributions might well be fleeting

Me, I'd say our name, colours and badge - our stadium too of course, and that sense of pride I get whenever I share the experience with others

Also a reputation neutrals might recognize, but that's about history and tradition again

If someone were to locate our oldest surviving supporter and ask him the define the 'traditional' Wednesday kit, it would most likely match the example any neutral in the street might give if asked to describe the colours Wednesday play in at home - ie. Blue & White stripes

Hoops etc might be part of our history but perhaps the choice had more to do availability of materials, or fashion

Maybe all jerseys were hand-knitted back in the late-19th century, and those given the task of producing ours could only 'do' hoops  :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's worth remembering that stripes were our official kit when we joined the Football League in 1892 and aside from a couple of aberrations it's been our chosen design ever since

And besides, those fans who want to see us play in alternative designs - there are 2nd & 3rd choice kits available, and these days they're getting changed every season

Plenty of scope there for experimentation

It comes back down to identity though

This year especially, as we prepare to celebrate 150yrs of history and tradition

How would you best identify those factors that BELONG to Sheffield Wednesday - the things we call OURS?

The fans obviously, we're a constant(hopefully) - generation on generation

Not the players, or staff, or owners, or directors - their efforts are appreciated, but they aren't the club, and their contributions might well be fleeting

Me, I'd say our name, colours and badge - our stadium too of course, and that sense of pride I get whenever I share the experience with others

Also a reputation neutrals might recognize, but that's about history and tradition again

If someone were to locate our oldest surviving supporter and ask him the define the 'traditional' Wednesday kit, it would most likely match the example any neutral in the street might give if asked to describe the colours Wednesday play in at home - ie. Blue & White stripes

Hoops etc might be part of our history but perhaps the choice had more to do availability of materials, or fashion

Maybe all jerseys were hand-knitted back in the late-19th century, and those given the task of producing ours could only 'do' hoops  :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's worth remembering that stripes were our official kit when we joined the Football League in 1892 and aside from a couple of aberrations it's been our chosen design ever since

And besides, those fans who want to see us play in alternative designs - there are 2nd & 3rd choice kits available, and these days they're getting changed every season

Plenty of scope there for experimentation

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree: you see a blue shirt with white sleeves as a problem; I don't.

I would be happy for us to play in a similar strip to the very first one recorded (blue and white hoops I think) but for our Anniversary season only.

Afterwards Mr Chansiri, whilst I appreciate and thank you for all you have done so far for our club, please bring back our familiar BLUE AND WHITE STRIPES. This kit is synonymous with Sheffield Wednesday, its great to look back at old photographs and see some great players of our past in the famous blue and white stripes, a kit which is recognised as SWFC by all, including other teams and fans as well as the media.

Some have said that it's only a shirt, but no, sorry, it's been our main identity over most years and our heritage, despite the fact that we have changed before in the past.

I'm probably a bit old fashioned, but truly, I struggle to recognise us in any other colours. I know that sponsorship is key, but I'd like to see us play away in blue and white stripes as well. 

There's my vote !