Time to make our voices heard! Give us our STRIPES.

Of course he's not. 

What a stupid, irrelevant point. 

SWFC is Mr C's vanity project, pet project or whatever you want to call it; something that he can gloat about to his mates and rich friends. 

That's the reality of modern football. It's not particularly nice, but if we want to relevant then that's how it goes. 

Would you rather have us pi55ing about in League One with blue and white stripes? 

My point is I don't need to respect him or worship him. He's doing this for selfish reasons. He might be a nice bloke, He might be a c*nt. More likely the latter tbh. It doesn't matter, if I don't like what he's done in some areas I don't like what he's done.

If the ultimate result of his actions is a loss of identity for the club  - which I'm not saying will happen but I am genuinely wary of the way football is going - then I'd rather play in League One than be 15th in the Premier League playing in a soulless bowl in front of soulless corporate customers.  But we all go to football for different stuff. I acknowledge it's an old-fashioned, twee maybe naive way of looking at football but if I cared that much about winning I wouldn't have been a Wednesday fan in the first place. 

I guess dissing the ditching of the stripes is part of the "Modern Football is bobbar" vibe that has come with my age.    There was a bloke called up to the England squad the other day I had genuinely never heard of. But I could probably identify every member of Coventry's first team from 1975 if you showed me their pictures.  

As George in Seinfeld famously says 

George.jpg

As it's 150th anniversary I'd personally like to see the first kit we ever played in.  Which according to the link below is blue and white hoops.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Sheffield_Wednesday/Sheffield_Wednesday.htm

White shirt and blue knickers same with the Blades, it was probably the very same kit we donated to them in 1889. It was 2 years later in 1891 and 24 years after our birth that we first played in the broad Blue and White stripes, prior to that we had played in plain white, hoops, halves and pin stripes.

At one time it didn't matter what kit we played in. No one cared, other than the butchers apron stripes of 62-63, what we played in. No uproar in 66 when we played in all white for the cup run or later when we switched to the solid Blue with White sleeves.

Back then it wasn't so commercially important as it is now. I suggest we just get on with it !  

I've pinned my colours to the mast as it were - I'm a traditionalist. but it's useless discussing. We need stats-  a poll. I would suggest these three choices:

1/ You've not just bought a club. You've bought a tradition and a history. Traditional Blue and white stripes please.  

2/ Blue and white but any design that takes your fancy we don't care.

3/ It's your club, do what you like - sky blue pink with purple dots if it floats you boat.

I believe that overwhelmingly people will want stripes so we just present that back to our glorious leader. If that doesn't work and you feel strongly about it then just stop buying the kit.

Why do people think we should be consulted ? Have we We ever been before ? Had any club ever really let the fans have a say ? Did Eric Taylor consult fans back when he built the lepp / north stand ?

was anyone consulted when the badge changed in the 70's ? 

Saddly , as much as people might hate it .... Football is a business. 

Im not saying I don't agree , I'm just saying I don't know why it's only now people have this "it's ours" attitude 

Think people invest time, money and for want of a better word emotion into a football club. Think that where the 'its ours' attitude comes from.

Football is a business now and much as it pains me to say it we are not fans at all now just customers.

Get a grip. 

Is making our voices heard such a bad thing?

Are you so bound by social obedience that you feel speaking up is commensurate to losing your sanity!? 

I think you need to get a grip ;) 

Edited by Bodhidharma

couldnt care less what colour we play in if im honest. This years shirt is nice, I wouldnt purchase one as im not daft enough to part with 55 quid but had it been a more sensible price I probably would have done.

For me if we were winning playing in years pigs shirt it wouldnt bother me

Is making our voices heard such a bad thing?

Are you so bound by social obedience that you feel speaking up is commensurate to losing your sanity!? 

I think you need to get a grip ;) 

It's a football shirt. Anyone aged under 14 getting upset about a football shirt needs to reassess their priorities. My 5 year old has never had the new shirt off his back, and although a big pricey, the cost to wear ratio is minimal when compared to the jacket his Mum bought him from MnS. 

Were you on my flight back from Rome last week, applauding when the plane landed? Like I said, get a grip. 

It's a football shirt. Anyone aged under 14 getting upset about a football shirt needs to reassess their priorities. My 5 year old has never had the new shirt off his back, and although a big pricey, the cost to wear ratio is minimal when compared to the jacket his Mum bought him from MnS. 

Were you on my flight back from Rome last week, applauding when the plane landed? Like I said, get a grip. 

I don't think anyone is confusing it with mass genocide or anything.

But it is an issue.

Identity is important to football fans.

If man u fans were asked to play in stripes there would be uproar.

We have to protect our identity by speaking up. 

But it is an issue.

Fair enough; speak up.

But when the current non-striped shirt is selling better than any other and our club has played in non-striped shirts for more than 20% of our history, it's hard to argue that we're somehow 'losing our identity' by reverting to one of our previous non-striped kits.

I just think that it's the 150th anniversary of SWFC, a team that yes has played in other variations of blue and white but throughout its history has played in blue and white stripes.

Yes Chansiri has spent a fortune and I'm thankful for that and if he wants to change the kit he has plenty of time to do it throughout his ownership. 

The 150th anniversary and the kit that our team will wear will on happen next season.. Ok he has has his beef with stripes but it's the fans that make the club. I know this thread has shown mixed views but Im just surprised by some some who don't really seem that bothered.. 

Without the fan base the club isn't anything and yes we don't physically own SWFC but without us it's nothing. 

I just feel stripes are our identity... Imagine if you met someone who hadn't ever seen sheffield wednesday.. And they asked what kit do they have... What would your response be? Blue and white stripes...?

Fair enough; speak up.

But when the current non-striped shirt is selling better than any other and our club has played in non-striped shirts for more than 20% of our history, it's hard to argue that we're somehow 'losing our identity' by reverting to one of our previous non-striped kits.

17 years out of the top flight makes people a bit needy. 

But it is an issue.

Give it a rest. Without the likes of MM and DC we wouldn't have an 'identity' whatever that means. 

Invest £50m and you can have stripes if you want. Until then, suck it up. 

AND I SAY TO YOU, MR SO-CALLED CHANSIRI, THAT THIS PROUD AND GREAT CLUB SHOULD PLAY OUR 150TH HALLOWED YEAR IN THE FAMOUS BLUE AND WHITE STRIPES.

JUST LIKE WE DID IN 1867 oh no that was hoops I think

JUST LIKE OUR 5OTH ANNIVERSARY IN 1917  weren't playing at all that year for obvious reasons

JUST LIKE THE 100TH ANNIVERSARY IN 1967 solid blue kit with white sleeves, awkward

THEREFORE WHAT SORT OF IDENTITY WOULD THIS CLUB HAVE IF WE DIDN'T DO IN THIS ANNIVERSARY YEAR WHAT WE HAVE IN FACT NEVER DONE BEFORE IN SUCH AN ANNIVERSARY YEAR??

17 years out of the top flight makes people a bit needy. 

And it leads to some losing all sense of perspective, apparently.

My favourite Wednesday kit growing up was this one:

Hirst.jpg.6db27576f7108fb69ba8efb6a733d5a3.jpg

As a ten year-old, I spent every waking hour wearing that shirt and only took it off so that my mum could put in through the wash. Then it'd be back on again before it was even dry.

To me, that was the shirt of my heroes: the shirt of Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan, Walker and Bright...and I wanted to be seen in it everywhere I went. I wanted all my mates down the park wearing their Manchester United, Liverpool and Newcastle shirts to see that I was different; I was Wednesday. And that was the shirt that meant that to me.

As much as it might pain the traditionalists, I imagine there'll be kids out there today forming similar attachments to our current shirt, and for them, as for me, Wednesday will not inevitably and exclusively be regular blue and white stripes.

In our 1st year, SWFC players probably wore hoops - although nobody knew for sure.

In our 50th anniversary year, SWFC players wore military uniforms.

In our 100th anniversary year, SWFC players wore solid blue.

If your contention is that the identity of the club is based on the kit worn in key anniversary years, we're closer off with the proposed new kit than stripes. 

AND I SAY TO YOU, MR SO-CALLED CHANSIRI, THAT THIS PROUD AND GREAT CLUB SHOULD PLAY OUR 150TH HALLOWED YEAR IN THE FAMOUS BLUE AND WHITE STRIPES.

JUST LIKE WE DID IN 1867 oh no that was hoops I think

JUST LIKE OUR 5OTH ANNIVERSARY IN 1917  weren't playing at all that year for obvious reasons

JUST LIKE THE 100TH ANNIVERSARY IN 1967 solid blue kit with white sleeves, awkward

THEREFORE WHAT SORT OF IDENTITY WOULD THIS CLUB HAVE IF WE DIDN'T DO IN THIS ANNIVERSARY YEAR WHAT WE HAVE IN FACT NEVER DONE BEFORE IN SUCH AN ANNIVERSARY YEAR??

Not sure even his strongest critic would deny Mr Chansiris name is Mr Chansiri.

Give it a rest. Without the likes of MM and DC we wouldn't have an 'identity' whatever that means. 

Invest £50m and you can have stripes if you want. Until then, suck it up. 

Depends if you see football clubs as rich people's playthings and nothing more or organisations with a deeper cultural meaning and value.

Owners are custodians.  I'm not saying Chansiri is a bad owner. I'm just saying that stripes are our identity and that is important. 

Also,  I am making a financial commitment to my club through enhanced ticket prices. 

Ok from the news of the shirt design for OUR 150th anniversary I think it's a joke and misses the mark completely. 

We are Sheffield Wednesday and we are blue and white and to us that's blue and white STRIPES.

Yes chansiri I thank you for what you are doing for our club but FFS it's our 150th anniversary, is it so hard to gives us our iconic stripes for the occasion. I'm sure 99% of the fan base would prefer the stripes and if I'm wrong please tell me?!

Think something needs to be done, and it's time the fans stood up and got our bloomin stripes back!

mr chansiri's club, mr chansiri's choice.

be thankful we are still playing in blue and white