Bannan Energy

18 hours ago, RotterdamOwl said:

Gutted with the result but they took their chance and we didn't. They were not better and we have nothing to fear. I liked the team and formation but it seemed we missed Bannans energy and sacrificed it for Abdi playmaking. Should he really have started over Bannan?!?

He came on and we got worse . Says it all really doesn't it . 

Id rather wallace have been dropped for macca than bannan for abdi, the difference might have been telling.

Bannans energy is underated imo and he is also our highest assist maker. 

In hindsight would have had reach lb, bannan lm, abdi cm and macca rm

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Im not sure what your saying?

what I'm saying is...bannan needs to knuckle down n start been the player we know he is!! He had only been on the field 5 minutes n you could see him blaming everyone else. 

We need players to step step up now, we also need the team ethic and team spirit back...not individuals blaming everyone else 

Exactly, this was what I was getting at a few posts up. Got loads of time for Bannan and the energy he brings, but with the talent we've got (including - even starring - the likes of him and Abdi) we should be dismantling lesser teams surgically and incisively. The fact that we're not is down to a lack of cohesion and understanding for me, then frustration creeps in and team spirit starts to drop and if you don't get it sorted you can end up where Villa have been: a team of talented individuals getting nowhere every week.

Not saying we're at risk of anything that dramatic but IMO the biggest thing we're missing this year is that sense of almost psychic understanding that gave us so much attacking flow and momentum at times. A handful of new faces will obviously have that effect but it's important to work on getting it back. That's why I won't be devastated (disappointed but not distraught) if it takes one more season for us; I also hope Carlos gets another if he needs and wants it, as long as he's good at that side of the game. I've no idea if he is but he seemed to be last year.

Edited by Mr. Tom

2 minutes ago, timrud said:

I remember Abdi doing a great covering tackle for Fox

yes he did your right, but he hardly made another all half! I was at the game and i watched his off the ball/ off camera movement and the leeds midfield just walked past him at times. Im not slating him, but i can see why carlos brought him off

If...we can not play high energy football, without Alex Lopez, Kieran Lee and possibly an out of form Bannan.

& we're blessed with a set of strikers, why not just get the ball in the mixer at all costs.

I wouldn't bad mouth us for playing to our strengths. Get Jones & Hutch together in middle, ball straight out to wingers, whoever they may be. Ball hits penalty spot every occasion possible. Save Rhodes from running himself into the ground every game, he needs to come alive in the box

6 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Dont agree, abdi was fine on the ball and his passing was good, but off the ball he was poor. Was off the pace ,wasnt tackling, tracking back and seemed to be struggling for fitness after 35 mins

I remember him tracking back sufficiently to close down Sacko I think, who's quick enough. 

Both Bannan and Abdi suffer from the same problem in CM.  Lack of options ahead of them and getting outnumbered by the opposition.  I absolutely believe that if we played a 3 man central midfield we would score more.  Some say 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 diamond, it really doesn't matter.  As people have pointed out, we don't have Kieran Lee's box to box ability, so we are effectively a man light in attack. So we surely have to compensate by pushing someone higher up the pitch to get into the attack.

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

If...we can not play high energy football, without Alex Lopez, Kieran Lee and possibly an out of form Bannan.

& we're blessed with a set of strikers, why not just get the ball in the mixer at all costs.

I wouldn't bad mouth us for playing to our strengths. Get Jones & Hutch together in middle, ball straight out to wingers, whoever they may be. Ball hits penalty spot every occasion possible. Save Rhodes from running himself into the ground every game, he needs to come alive in the box

This is not a bad shout, and I don't understand why we haven't tried it already 

I guarantee if we start sticking it in the mixer on a more regular basis Rhodes and Winnall will score goals , there both fantastic in the air and we need to start taking advantage of it 

Macca needs to start games, and if I was CC I'd be bringing Will Buckley back into contention 

Bannan I wouldn't say is full of energy apart from a when he does a crowd pleasing run at the keeper. Abdi wasn't the problem yesterday. Bannan is more suited out wide (like last season where he played 90% of games but fans forget that)