"Official 150th Mural"

On 23/02/2017 at 09:24, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Hope so mate

I wouldn't mind buying one because it should be a piece of our history reflecting our greats

I love what Semedo and Bullen did for us, but with all due respect, I won't be buying a 150th commemorative keepsake if they're on it, and the same goes for Forestieri too, he may become a legend for us, but I don't see it, and definitely not in time for this mural.

That's fair enough Hoots, but also remember that Wednesday, in the last 15 years or so, have been through 'challenging' times.

i wouldn't begrudge someone voting for Semedo or Bullen because in a lot of the fan base's current lifetime, they have been some of the standout players who have gotten us to this point in time.

this isn't a collection of players from Sheffield Wednesday's history, it's a collection of Sheffield Wednesday's players 150 years in.

Edited by Strewthbury Owl

16 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Our lass has got a friend who calls murals, "Muriels", she's a bleeding teacher and all... Makes me livid

Are you sure it is not a joke. Hilda Ogden used to refer to her Muriel and I know a few people, including me, that use Muriel instead of Mural

I use a few other Hilda Ogden malapropisms too

Edited by OxonOwl

44 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Are you sure it is not a joke. Hilda Ogden used to refer to her Muriel and I know a few people, including me, that use Muriel instead of Mural

I use a few other Hilda Ogden malapropisms too

You could be right...

But I'd if I have to decide if someone is being thick or being funny, law of averages tends to point me towards the former... Call me a cynic

2 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

You could be right...

But I'd if I have to decide if someone is being thick or being funny, law of averages tends to point me towards the former... Call me a cynic

when i was doing the job for a living , many clients came up with muriel bless em  it used to make me crease tbh i got so fed up about telling them the right word i eventually gave up and just chuckled to myself rather than try to pont it out ,

42 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

how often do they come up in convo to make you livid?

She referred to one mural repeatedly on one occasion... Months past until I heard her refer to the same mural as a "Muriel" once again... That was enough for me!

I need to get over this don't I?

As a matter of interest, notwithstanding that we all have our own legends according to our age, the top 12 based on appearances for the club are:  Ernie Blenkinsop - 424

Jack Brown -   507

Tommy Crawshaw - 465

John Fantham. - 435 (167goals)

Alan Finney. - 503 

Redfern Froggatt - 458 (149goals)

Mark Hooper - 423. (136goals)

Don Megson - 442

Kevin Pressman - 478

Ellis Rimmer. -418

Andrew Wilson - 545

Nigel Worthington -417 (Honourable mention for David Horst -358 (149 goals)

Legends or loyal servants, I'm not sure which, then you have to consider international caps as well and of course which division they were playing in whilst at the club and any honours gained. It's all very tricky and very subjective to draw up this list, I wish them luck and suppose we might be asked to vote on it?

Oh, and my SWFC legends mug only has Hirst and Waddle on it, bought in 1990's though :columbo:

I will be interested to see what kits the players will wear

Looking at the artists previous work, they all seem to be wearing the same shirt

Will our players wear the kits of their time, or will they all wear next season's shirt?

At the moment I haven't decided which I would prefer, I'm leaning towards kits of their time, but will keep an open mind

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Authors of the Fred Spiksley biography - Author Statement regarding 150 year mural.

Mark, Ralph and Clive are aware that Sheffield Wednesday are asking supporters to vote on which 10 players from their 150 year history should be included in a ‘Dream Scene’ mural by Australian artist Jamie Cooper. This is a wonderful idea and we are looking forward to seeing if Fred Spiksley makes the cut.

As some of you will be aware Mark, Ralph and Clive do not support Sheffield Wednesday and therefore will not be casting any votes for Fred, as it is the WEDNESDAY supporters themselves who should decide. However, we would encourage those of you who read this and support Wednesday to consider casting your vote for Fred. Often Players from before our own memories, or to a large extent before Match of the Day, are missing from such lists and whilst the reasons are understandable it is a shame that such important players get forgotten. In 2009 Sheffield United fans voted for their top fifty and Ernest Needham, who is easily the best player to have played for United, came in at number 43. Lets hope that this is not the case here.

Below are all the reasons that you need to select Fred Spiksley in your own Dream Team.

Spiksley played for Wednesday for 12 years and in that time he was Sheffield Wednesday supporters idol. He scored 100 League goals and a further 16 in the FA Cup, placing him as the clubs eighth highest scorer in those competitions. However, he joined Wednesday when they were not in the Football League and if you include all first team fixtures he scored 170 goals and is Wednesday third highest goal scorer in all competitions. 

Furthermore, he scored all these goals from the wing and this thus gives Fred Spiksley the all-time record for the highest goals-to-games ratio for any winger in English football, higher than George Best!

Possibly the most impressive feature of Spiksley's ability was the fact that he scored on the big occasions and when Wednesday needed it. He was the star of the 1896 FA Cup final, where he scored both of the Wednesday goals in a 2-1 victory over Wolves. This was the first time the FA Cup came to Yorkshire. His first goal is possibly the fastest goal in an FA Cup final, scored on around 20 seconds, whilst his second was considered the greatest goal in an FA Cup final pre-1900. During the 1896 FA Cup run he scored 4 and created 9 out of the 15 goals scored.

With Spiksley on the pitch the Wednesday players and supporters believed no match was lost. This belief was justified in an 1893 FA Cup tie at Olive Grove where Spiksley broke two ribs after being hacked down by a Burnley defender. The Wednesday players begged Spiksley to remain on the field, which he did and in great discomfort scored the winning goal in a 1-0 victory.

In 1894,  Fred scored his finest goal for Wednesday when turning an FA Cup tie against the finest and richest club of the era, Aston Villa, on its head. His last minute equaliser led to fans pouring back into the ground to see Fred tear Villa apart in extra time, leading Wednesday to a famous victory which supporters and journalists were still talking about 40 years later. The match was known as 'Spiksley's Match' and a plaque standing at Wednesday’s former ground, Olive Grove, today features his name. 

On moving to Hillsborough in 1899, Spiksley became the first Wednesday player to score on the famous ground and he later also scored the first hat-trick there. After suffering a string of bad knee injuries Spiksley rose once more to become a pivotal figure in the first Wednesday team to win the Football League, scoring the decisive goal that settled the last match of the 1902/03 season against WBA. Wednesday won the title by a single point.

During his time as a Wednesday player Spiksley was the finest outside left in the world and scored a hat-trick on debut for England vs Wales and then became the first player to score a hat-trick against Scotland, a feat only achieved by 2 other Englishmen since. But Fred Spiksley was the first to achieve this and was the only one to have the future Queen of England running down the touchline waving her handkerchief at him. In 1898 he featured against Scotland again in what was considered England's finest attacking line-up prior to WWI. His performance that day was considered legendary and Spiksley was acknowledged as being the finest player on the field.

Upon leaving Wednesday Spiksley went on to live the most amazing life, which you can read all about in our book. There are tales of touring with Charlie Chaplin, escaping a German prison, winning the German and Mexican championships as a coach, becoming the first professional to coach across 3 continents, becoming a bankrupt, marrying a German 20 years his junior and living with her in London during the Blitz and a death that was almost poetry itself. But it is what he did for Wednesday that should get your vote.

So when you cast you vote for your top 10 SWFC players of all time, please reflect on the above because did all of your top ten players achieve for Wednesday what Fred Spiksley did? No matter how popular or good other players are there are will be very few that have achieved anything close to what Spiksley did and that is why the statue of Vulcan that still stands on top of Sheffield Town Hall was commonly referred to as being Fred Spiksley up until the 1940’s. But as Ambrose Langley, a Wednesday captain from the period pointed out; for what Spiksley did for Wednesday he should have had his own monument.  

7 minutes ago, clive.nicholson said:

Authors of the Fred Spiksley biography - Author Statement regarding 150 year mural.

Mark, Ralph and Clive are aware that Sheffield Wednesday are asking supporters to vote on which 10 players from their 150 year history should be included in a ‘Dream Scene’ mural by Australian artist Jamie Cooper. This is a wonderful idea and we are looking forward to seeing if Fred Spiksley makes the cut.

As some of you will be aware Mark, Ralph and Clive do not support Sheffield Wednesday and therefore will not be casting any votes for Fred, as it is the WEDNESDAY supporters themselves who should decide. However, we would encourage those of you who read this and support Wednesday to consider casting your vote for Fred. Often Players from before our own memories, or to a large extent before Match of the Day, are missing from such lists and whilst the reasons are understandable it is a shame that such important players get forgotten. In 2009 Sheffield United fans voted for their top fifty and Ernest Needham, who is easily the best player to have played for United, came in at number 43. Lets hope that this is not the case here.

Below are all the reasons that you need to select Fred Spiksley in your own Dream Team.

Spiksley played for Wednesday for 12 years and in that time he was Sheffield Wednesday supporters idol. He scored 100 League goals and a further 16 in the FA Cup, placing him as the clubs eighth highest scorer in those competitions. However, he joined Wednesday when they were not in the Football League and if you include all first team fixtures he scored 170 goals and is Wednesday third highest goal scorer in all competitions. 

Furthermore, he scored all these goals from the wing and this thus gives Fred Spiksley the all-time record for the highest goals-to-games ratio for any winger in English football, higher than George Best!

Possibly the most impressive feature of Spiksley's ability was the fact that he scored on the big occasions and when Wednesday needed it. He was the star of the 1896 FA Cup final, where he scored both of the Wednesday goals in a 2-1 victory over Wolves. This was the first time the FA Cup came to Yorkshire. His first goal is possibly the fastest goal in an FA Cup final, scored on around 20 seconds, whilst his second was considered the greatest goal in an FA Cup final pre-1900. During the 1896 FA Cup run he scored 4 and created 9 out of the 15 goals scored.

With Spiksley on the pitch the Wednesday players and supporters believed no match was lost. This belief was justified in an 1893 FA Cup tie at Olive Grove where Spiksley broke two ribs after being hacked down by a Burnley defender. The Wednesday players begged Spiksley to remain on the field, which he did and in great discomfort scored the winning goal in a 1-0 victory.

In 1894,  Fred scored his finest goal for Wednesday when turning an FA Cup tie against the finest and richest club of the era, Aston Villa, on its head. His last minute equaliser led to fans pouring back into the ground to see Fred tear Villa apart in extra time, leading Wednesday to a famous victory which supporters and journalists were still talking about 40 years later. The match was known as 'Spiksley's Match' and a plaque standing at Wednesday’s former ground, Olive Grove, today features his name. 

On moving to Hillsborough in 1899, Spiksley became the first Wednesday player to score on the famous ground and he later also scored the first hat-trick there. After suffering a string of bad knee injuries Spiksley rose once more to become a pivotal figure in the first Wednesday team to win the Football League, scoring the decisive goal that settled the last match of the 1902/03 season against WBA. Wednesday won the title by a single point.

During his time as a Wednesday player Spiksley was the finest outside left in the world and scored a hat-trick on debut for England vs Wales and then became the first player to score a hat-trick against Scotland, a feat only achieved by 2 other Englishmen since. But Fred Spiksley was the first to achieve this and was the only one to have the future Queen of England running down the touchline waving her handkerchief at him. In 1898 he featured against Scotland again in what was considered England's finest attacking line-up prior to WWI. His performance that day was considered legendary and Spiksley was acknowledged as being the finest player on the field.

Upon leaving Wednesday Spiksley went on to live the most amazing life, which you can read all about in our book. There are tales of touring with Charlie Chaplin, escaping a German prison, winning the German and Mexican championships as a coach, becoming the first professional to coach across 3 continents, becoming a bankrupt, marrying a German 20 years his junior and living with her in London during the Blitz and a death that was almost poetry itself. But it is what he did for Wednesday that should get your vote.

So when you cast you vote for your top 10 SWFC players of all time, please reflect on the above because did all of your top ten players achieve for Wednesday what Fred Spiksley did? No matter how popular or good other players are there are will be very few that have achieved anything close to what Spiksley did and that is why the statue of Vulcan that still stands on top of Sheffield Town Hall was commonly referred to as being Fred Spiksley up until the 1940’s. But as Ambrose Langley, a Wednesday captain from the period pointed out; for what Spiksley did for Wednesday he should have had his own monument.  

Hi Fred 

Guest Manwithastick
On 2/24/2017 at 15:28, Cosby Blunkett said:

She referred to one mural repeatedly on one occasion... Months past passed until I heard her refer to the same mural as a "Muriel" once again... That was enough for me!

I need to get over this don't I?

Fooking morons using a similar sounding but incorrect word:ph34r:

9 hours ago, clive.nicholson said:

But did he play in every position for us?????