Sending off...

15 hours ago, iliveinthenow said:

Right, I am gonna get some stick for this. But what the heck!

The ref being pushed and his over reaction ironically has a significance for us.

This goes way back to Di Canio's push, which some of you may agree or not was the beginning of the end for us back in the late 90's.

Has anyone heard of the law of compensation? Or karma? It can be termed differently.

An example in football would be:

• Shevchenko scoring the winning penalty one year to win the champions league final, only to miss a penalty 2 years later or so to give the other team the champions league.
  • This also happened to us against Birmingham this season when they turned a 1-0 goal margin around to win 2-1.  We did the same to them last season when Hooper scored his double.
  • Think of it like Liverpool winning so much in the 80's and not winning the league since.  Its the law of compensation.

That push on the ref is just the law of compensation working itself out, evening out the karma so to speak. It can takes years for it to even out as you can see, or sometimes it doesnt take long at all. 

What does this mean for us? It basically means we are leveling out the playing field and we are well and truly on our way back. You might wanna think of it as lifting a curse, bad luck or whatever. 

This law also works for every day life.

Too much thinking can be dangerous. 

Pull yourself together 

Showed my Dad the incident today, as he hadn't seen it.  Despite the player claiming he "didn't" push the ref (he did and the footage shows he did), despite the ref over-egging it by exaggerating his stumble backwards - the player clearly ran up to the ref to protest (which is now not allowed), clearly did push him with both hands (which is not allowed) and was punished.

I am of the view that the ref stumbled backwards to demonstrate exactly why he was going to send the player off.

4 hours ago, Claudio Tankisco said:

Akpan.  You're talking complete and utter bobbar.  First rule of hole digging.....when you're standing in the hole stop digging.  

Bannan got booked for gobbing off at the referee in the first half.  Touching the referee is inexcusable and is quite rightly a straight red.

YES.

2 minutes ago, Helen Waddle said:

Showed my Dad the incident today, as he hadn't seen it.  Despite the player claiming he "didn't" push the ref (he did and the footage shows he did), despite the ref over-egging it by exaggerating his stumble backwards - the player clearly ran up to the ref to protest (which is now not allowed), clearly did push him with both hands (which is not allowed) and was punished.

I am of the view that the ref stumbled backwards to demonstrate exactly why he was going to send the player off.

Yes perhaps. But you can understand players getting upset 'cos they'd never do anything like that.

It looked worse from the stands and tbf I think pretty much everyone in the ground thought he pushed him. 

On reflection and having viewed the replay it looks a bit soft...but then you can't be laying your hands on a referee so a red was merited. 

Thought the referee was awful all night though; a real petulant pratt. 

Booking Bannan for mouthing off was so pathetic. 

40 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Absolute 100% a deserved red card. If you say it's not, then how do you draw the line for future situations?

The most funny thing out of this situation is seeing how many people are daft enough to think it isn't a red

Correct.  It isn't as if players don't know this.