Hirstys young un

6 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

I hope he is because Hirst looks a talent. If Lonchar is better then we're all laughing.

seen hirst havnt lonchar but I think fraser preston is the best player ive seen in that age group ....he's some player that lad .

2 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Been watching these lads consistently and lonchar, preston and hirst are as good as I have seen for a long time 

I've seen em a bit this year - once or twice. I used to go regularly in the late nineties up to about 2010 when we became so bad it was frankly unwatchable.

From the limited amount I have seen, Hirst is the best player we've had at that age group and also really liked Kirby and Waldock. Lonchar to me looked intelligent and skilful buy wonder if he's got the pace to make up for his lack of size. Could well be wrong tho and certainly he's got lots of talent and can really finish.

The downside of comparing historically tho is that you realise how few come thru / how misleading it can be.

Before Hirst, best Owls academy player I've ever seen? Kevin Nicholson! Followed by Mark Platts!

Best opposition players? Jonathan forte, David McGoldrick and Luke Young! See what I mean? 

Edited by dfoster

9 hours ago, thebrap11 said:

Got another Wednesday legends young en coming through academy aswell. Bailey cadamateri, Danny's son. Scored 6 goals against hull city for under 12s. Well done lad.

Both of his sons are with our academy but he's no Wednesday legend. 

Tough call for somebody to make if Everton offer Lookman money for a kid with potential.

excluding the fact of whose son he is it's possible we may not ever get a better offer for him and he fails to progress alternatively he may help us push on.

Anyway I doubt another year at his current level will affect things too much so unless we need the money and the offer is to good to refuse we are better keeping hold 

What puzzles me is; Unsworth wants him for the Everton U23's, who already get games in their first team, with a view to moving up full time. If he's ready to be signed & tried intermittently in a PL first team, why isn't he in ours? Unsworth is quoted on SSN this morning saying Calvert-Lewin & 2 others are already doing this. No doubt GH would be used in the same way. Yet, we are about to sign Winnall, when we have 'one of our own' almost ready to do the same job

14 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

What puzzles me is; Unsworth wants him for the Everton U23's, who already get games in their first team, with a view to moving up full time. If he's ready to be signed & tried intermittently in a PL first team, why isn't he in ours? Unsworth is quoted on SSN this morning saying Calvert-Lewin & 2 others are already doing this. No doubt GH would be used in the same way. Yet, we are about to sign Winnall, when we have 'one of our own' almost ready to do the same job

I would hope that we know more about George than Unsworth does. Good way to attract a young player though

Might be strange logic but I would be more concerned if had already scored for the first team at home.

Everybody has goals they want to achieve that must be near the top of his list and he must know that he's  likely to achieve that within a few months if he's lucky. 

5 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

I reckon we will act quick and slap an improved contract on the table.

That will be the only way to prove we are serious about him at the moment. A move to the premier league would virtually make him for life so if we are not going to sell then at the very least we need to sort him out financially. 

53 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

This is a problem for us, we have almost no track record of producing youngsters. Everton can prove that there is a route to first team football through their u18s/23s we struggle. 

A couple of years back my son was wanted by United, he was with Wednesday u8s at the time. After a bit of convincing I took him there to give it a go. United were very quick to point out at there is a route from their academy into first team football and lads would be given a chance, they had a very good "sales pitch" of their club and being honest I was impressed. 

Wednesday on the other hand were making a big deal of Jack Stobbs and Matt Penney going from the foundation phase to signing pro, which is nowhere near the level of other clubs around us.

I know times have changed at Hillsboro but other clubs can show a track record of youth production, unfortunately we can't.