Newcastle United 8 : 0 Sheffield Wednesday

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Newcastle beating a lacklustre Sheffield Wednesday by eight goals with Alan Shearer on fine form (hadn't scored in over ten games before playing us)

Just being pedantic here, but he'd only gone 4 games without a goal for Newcastle before playing us, and in that time he'd scored a hattrick for England.

3 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

There were a few decent players in that side but as a team we were shockingly poor. 

There wasnt really was there. Alexanderson was an decent enough premier league player as was thome, but the rest including Walker and Pressman who by then had seen better days werent really up to premier league football 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Just looking at that clip and nobody in the crowd wearing the shirt. Seems to be a modern concept of wearing the shirt en masse. I used to go all over the place watching wednesday and nobody i know wore the shirt, a bit uncool at the time.

Edited by M Royds

4 minutes ago, james o connor said:

There wasnt really was there. Alexanderson was an decent enough premier league player as was thome, but the rest including Walker and Pressman who by then had seen better days werent really up to premier league football 

I disagree about Pressman. In a better side he would have been a competent premier league 'keeper. Carbone also played a part and still had enough quality. Thome and Alexanderson could easily have played for a number of decent, mid table sides as well. 

18 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Just looking at that clip and nobody in the crowd wearing the shirt. Seems to be a modern concept of wearing the shirt en masse. I used to go all over the place watching wednesday and nobody i know wore the shirt, a bit uncool at the time.

If you wore a shirt in them days away from home thrre was a good chance you get whacked and Newcastle was a naughty place to go.

7 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I disagree about Pressman. In a better side he would have been a competent premier league 'keeper. Carbone also played a part and still had enough quality. Thome and Alexanderson could easily have played for a number of decent, mid table sides as well. 

Pressman at one point yes but not then , he has started to decline. Forgot about Carbone yep he was also good enough

13 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I disagree about Pressman. In a better side he would have been a competent premier league 'keeper. 

Not a chance

It got to the point where strikers were playing us safe in the knowledge that if they placed their shots low to either side of him they were guaranteed a goal

He could shot stop not bad if it was within reaching distance but anything down low = GOAL

Owlstalk Shop