9 hours ago, s5owl said:

To be fair, how long does it take to work out to pull 3/4 pints before half time and then just top them up.

Sure it's been said on here before that pre pulled pints were tried before and people refused to have them saying they wanted a freshly pulled pint.

Problem with catering at any event sporting or otherwise is time . At a football match half time is 15 minutes. At best the most any body is going to serve in that time is 15-20 people before the match restarts.

For the first time in a long time, I went to the bar in the North Stand at half time at the QPR game.  There were 3 people behind the bar, one of whom just seemed to be standing at the back doing nothing, whilst the other two were serving.  There was no apparent urgency to serve people shown by either of the two who were serving.  They just didn't seem to have a clue.  Probably not their fault, but if this operation has been taken over by the club again, they need to train these people and get them up to scratch or if they aren't capable of working faster and more efficiently with training, they should be replaced by people who are.  After all it's not just for the benefit of the paying customers (albeit that should be the prime objective), it also benefits the club in terms of more profit, if people are served quickly and efficiently.

I appreciate that there may be a limited number of young people prepared to do this job when it's only for a few hours every couple of weeks, but surely an improvement can be achieved.

Guest Manwithastick

Well, this is my pie from saturday. I think it'd been in the oven since Milan's days...

*edit* can't upload the image. Owlstalk fails again. Shame as it's a great pic as I'm sure you can imagine;l

Fact is the facilities are beyond poor. The food/canteens what ever they are supposed to be aren't up to it, neither are the staff.

When it comes to serving food, you cant polish a turd I'm afraid. Poor quality, poor service, no leadership at any kiosk/canteen/stall, I really don't know what to call them its that pi$$ poor.

They just need to invest in a "state of the art" flask and snap box scanner at the gates. That way those who are smuggling in bovril bombs and exploding sandwiches would be refused entry. 

Complimentary tartan rugs should be laid out on ST holders seats.

2 hours ago, darra said:

Sure it's been said on here before that pre pulled pints were tried before and people refused to have them saying they wanted a freshly pulled pint.

They have a half-time pre-order set up in the Grandstand - not sure how it works, but assume it's like the theatre with all the pre-ordered drinks poured before half time and waiting for collection.

If so, there's no difference.Perhaps it needs re-marketing - 'Nearly Fresh Pints' or summat.

4 hours ago, Holmes said:

I stand corrected and I hang my head in shame.

My heart bleeds for you.  You take such trials and trepidations with strength of fortitude, you are indeed a stout Englishman, be proud of your valour as you face sch a barrage from.....napkins.

I'm just saying, how hard is it to supply the poor lads behind that bar with a note pad and a pen each. 

6 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I'm just saying, how hard is it to supply the poor lads behind that bar with a note pad and a pen each. 

In some advanced civilisations they have coded tills that add everything up and magically state total and some prototypes are now calculating change owed to customer based on the tender offered.

Science, foo.king marvellous stuff. Wonder if it could ever be used in halftime beer sales at football matches?

38 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

had a reply from Joe - says they're hoping to put new tills into the kiosks by mid-December, and some additonal staff to help the issue in the short term (but they don;t feel more staff is necessarily possible, or the answer)

Change of staff is one answer!

Wow a new till, what about nice food, proper hot plate/fridges.

And here's a bizarre request, a option of snacks? 

4 hours ago, darra said:

I used to work on catering and this is the case yeah, the one time we tried it we had about 20 pints left on the side after half time and management told us not to do it again, not everyone turned them down, but a lot of them did

43 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

had a reply from Joe - says they're hoping to put new tills into the kiosks by mid-December, and some additonal staff to help the issue in the short term (but they don;t feel more staff is necessarily possible, or the answer)

Christ  on a bike! 

What's the mark up on a pint these days? a couple of extra staff (local people paid a living wage for a few hours work on a Saturday huh??) Isn't going to skint the club is it now? the approach should be the delivery bod a top 'matchday experience' not how much can we squeeze punters for.

Come on Joe P,  sort it out. Hillsborough should be about quality and community, not negilble increases in catering profit.

Better quality of service delivery and better products = more sales, more happiness at halftime.  

F. Spiksley

MBA (pie sales)

No one seems to take into account the time factor. The maximum time available is 15 minutes. If a system was put n place whereby one person served beer constantly while another took the money, how may pints would he/she be able to pull in 15 mins.. This time need dividing into the number of customers, and that number multiplied by 2, to give the number of staff required JUST TO SERVE EVERY CUSTOMER WITH ONE PINT. This number would then be further multiplied to achieve the number of pumps/Cash registers required. , and further doubed to ensure everyone is served with a pint halfway into half time

Hence assume that,say, 2000 people wanted pints in the South, and to serve a pint takes 1 minute (ridiculously low but used for illustration) and that these had to be served within 10 minutes to give one time to drink the beer, one person could pull enough for 10 people, this means that 200 beer pumps plus 200 cash machines, would be required. How much room would that take?

And that is assuming that a) everyone wants a pint, no choice of lager etc  b) everyone has the correct change (giving out change will inevitably slow down the process)and c) does not take into account anyone wanting food etc.

Anyone want the job? 

5 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

No one seems to take into account the time factor. The maximum time available is 15 minutes. If a system was put n place whereby one person served beer constantly while another took the money, how may pints would he/she be able to pull in 15 mins.. This time need dividing into the number of customers, and that number multiplied by 2, to give the number of staff required JUST TO SERVE EVERY CUSTOMER WITH ONE PINT. This number would then be further multiplied to achieve the number of pumps/Cash registers required. , and further doubed to ensure everyone is served with a pint halfway into half time

Hence assume that,say, 2000 people wanted pints in the South, and to serve a pint takes 1 minute (ridiculously low but used for illustration) and that these had to be served within 10 minutes to give one time to drink the beer, one person could pull enough for 10 people, this means that 200 beer pumps plus 200 cash machines, would be required. How much room would that take?

And that is assuming that a) everyone wants a pint, no choice of lager etc  b) everyone has the correct change (giving out change will inevitably slow down the process)and c) does not take into account anyone wanting food etc.

Anyone want the job? 

Other arenas seem to cope very well with no issues

Owlstalk Shop