Whelmometer - where is your whelm?

Guest Deleted member
14 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I believe strongly in continuity where there exists competence. Carlos is more than just competent as he has proved in his two years. No longer are we the side living in hope that we can hit the 45 point marker. A new manager would have had a season of change to contend with no guarantee of success in subsequent years. So I'm well happy !

This

I can see point of view about stability in regard to keeping CC but to read some people comments you would think Sheffield Wednesday improved league position is 100% down to him. The bottom line is we are getting higher up the league because the current chairmen has deeper pockets then the last one. Not saying it doesn't matter who is head coach but a generous chairman is far bigger factor in modern football.

With so many wilderness years, some where simply being in the Championship was a bonus, others where being in the play-offs was a hope rather than an expectation, we finally reach a season where the hope has to be top two. That's not been on the cards since we left the Premiership. How that can be less than a whelm of 8 I don't know - unless the last two years means that expectations are now so high that it's hard to whelm us any longer.

13 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

With so many wilderness years, some where simply being in the Championship was a bonus, others where being in the play-offs was a hope rather than an expectation, we finally reach a season where the hope has to be top two. That's not been on the cards since we left the Premiership. How that can be less than a whelm of 8 I don't know - unless the last two years means that expectations are now so high that it's hard to whelm us any longer.

A big factor to me and I think some other people (but by no means all) when deciding a whelm factor is ticket prices.

To me basically expectations are higher in large part due to high ticket prices.

17 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Deeper pockets means fv.ck all mate, look at Villa, Norwich (parachute payments), Derby (silly fv.ckin brainless owners, players shag.gin each other's wives), Forest (deary fv.ckin me!), and all those that have come down from the PL and sp.affed the lot, before disappearing through the next trap door down without passing Go!

A unified club, chairman, head coach, players and fans, THAT'S what has got us to two top 6 finishes, yeah the cash was the catalyst but to intimate that any old bod can do it with cash is, well, it's bleedin naive pal!

Not saying money is the only factor in a successful club but is the main factor in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Two seasons of progress...why wouldn't we be happy ? Of course... not if you didn't like the manager and had been predicting his demise for two seasons...c'est toujours la même histoire

Sorry should be...  a mesma história de sempre:manager::manager:

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I can see point of view about stability in regard to keeping CC but to read some people comments you would think Sheffield Wednesday improved league position is 100% down to him. The bottom line is we are getting higher up the league because the current chairmen has deeper pockets then the last one. Not saying it doesn't matter who is head coach but a generous chairman is far bigger factor in modern football.

Exactly

Someone at work the other day was saying how much of a better job CC is doing compared to Stuart Gray. Pound for pound I think Gray did a better job. In fact the spine of the side which Gray left still remains, despite the fact we've spent a fortune since he departed