Will leaving the EU impact potential signings

31 minutes ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Interesting to see what happens with scotland and northern ireland as regards to staying in the EU. If scotland splits from the uk and northern ireland stays then we will share 2 land borders with EU countries. So unless border control is implemented across the 2 borders ( which i highly doubt could happen ) then EU citizens will still be able to enter the rest of the UK. An agreement on the movement and working conditions for EU citizens working and living in the UK has to be agreed and i belive that workers who earn the most money whilst in the UK will probably not be affected at all

Little Jimmy Cranky is living in fantasy land if she thinks Scotland will be allowed into the EU as a separate state in the event of splitting from the UK.

Spain have already said they would use their veto against them due to the precedent it would set with regard to the Basque countries who have screamed for separate statehood for years and used terrorism in their attempts to attain it.

Their attempts at pretending to be an independent country are about as realistic as the chances of their 'football' team qualifying for a major tournament..

I thought this was a FOOTBALL site. Seems to me this is much more of a political agenda.

Just as a matter of interest, taking England and Wales, it would appear that it is far more a 'working-man's' ballot. The only area in 'England' to vote against the Brexit was the London area. The so-called 'average Brit', which consists of most of us, voted out.  

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

I thought this was a FOOTBALL site. Seems to me this is much more of a political agenda.

Just as a matter of interest, taking England and Wales, it would appear that it is far more a 'working-man's' ballot. The only area in 'England' to vote against the Brexit was the London area. The so-called 'average Brit', which consists of most of us, voted out.  

Its called discussion and i think we've got more than enough 'wrong section' merchants on here.

Discussions always go off on tangents, not a bad thing & makes it more interesting as long as it doesn't get out of hand which i have been guilty of from time to time.

Regarding your point, i totally agree.  This referendum has turned the whole political spectrum on its head. Labour's traditional heartlands have not been represented by Labour at all. With the odd exception, Labour's stance only represented the Metropolitan elite in certain areas of the South. People in Bolton, Blackburn, Rotherham etc etc have had their views more accurately represented by Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Michael Gove and others on the leave side regardless of how unpalatable this would have traditionally been.

I wouldn't imagine in a million years these people will defect to the Tories but i wonder if these people who were abandoned and their views either ignored or classed as racist by this Metropolitan elite will ever forgive them.

One thing's for certain, things will never be the same again.

PS. Among all the doom & gloom & "I told you so" after the result. I notice the exchange rate is almost back to normal and the FT index recovered substantially.

Let's get buying players!! 

2 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Its called discussion and i think we've got more than enough 'wrong section' merchants on here.

Discussions always go off on tangents, not a bad thing & makes it more interesting as long as it doesn't get out of hand which i have been guilty of from time to time.

Regarding your point, i totally agree.  This referendum has turned the whole political spectrum on its head. Labour's traditional heartlands have not been represented by Labour at all. With the odd exception, Labour's stance only represented the Metropolitan elite in certain areas of the South. People in Bolton, Blackburn, Rotherham etc etc have had their views more accurately represented by Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Michael Gove and others on the leave side regardless of how unpalatable this would have traditionally been.

I wouldn't imagine in a million years these people will defect to the Tories but i wonder if these people who were abandoned and their views either ignored or classed as racist by this Metropolitan elite will ever forgive them.

One thing's for certain, things will never be the same again.

PS. Among all the doom & gloom & "I told you so" after the result. I notice the exchange rate is almost back to normal and the FT index recovered substantially.

Let's get buying players!! 

The pound is NOT nearly back to normal, it is barely getting back to the depressed level it was at for the last few months when the markets were scared that we'd be stupid enough to leave. I have been buying equipment from the US for over twenty years and it's usual level is between 1.5 to 1.6, not the 1.36 it is now.

It got back to 1.5 the night on the day of the referendum, when the world thought we'd finally come to our senses.

Might mean England will win something if all thenm foreigners have to go and others can't be signed. Mind you  might lead to a shortage of players in the Premiership for a while

Guest wilyfox
16 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Nowt wrong with aldi we go there too. 

Meet ya round the back for a cuddle. 

36 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

The pound is NOT nearly back to normal, it is barely getting back to the depressed level it was at for the last few months when the markets were scared that we'd be stupid enough to leave. I have been buying equipment from the US for over twenty years and it's usual level is between 1.5 to 1.6, not the 1.36 it is now.

It got back to 1.5 the night on the day of the referendum, when the world thought we'd finally come to our senses.

We have come to our senses.

We've taken back control of our own destiny for good or bad!

I don't begrudge you having YOUR opinion, especially if you've got a specific vested interest that revolves around your business that's costing you a bit on your margins in the short term, but because it's your opinion, doesn't mean it's right. I suffered financial losses in 2008 to 2012 due to the recession, especially involving the property market and if i remember rightly we were still in the Brussels club then! 

It seems your opinion is in the minority but as with all voters on the wrong side of democratic decisions it is automatically assumed the arguments aren't properly understood or 'the message' didn't get across. It never enters people's heads that all the arguments were fully taken into account and they still reached the decision they did. 

That pathetic petition doing the rounds trying to reverse the decision is another typical example of the breathtaking arrogance of people who cannot accept their opinion didn't hold sway. Even heard the chattering classes in London saying thick Northerners shouldn't have the right to vote on things they don't understand.

There was a democratic referendum, party politics and class didn't enter into it, there was a record turnout and the vast majority in ENGLAND voted to leave. The whingers who don't like it should get over it, it's called democracy!

As for the exchange rate, i think most were talking about Sterling to the Euro, which was 1.29 before and 1.23 now. Not quite back to normal, that may take a bit longer, but not a million miles off. Certainly not the armageddon that was predicted. The markets were always going to hedge their bets in such a momentous situation and once the hysteria has died down will drift back to normal. 

The only people to win out of this are Farage and Johnson, although I think Johnson is now pooing himself as he didn't think he would win. His political agenda to be on the side of "the people" backfired as he now has to sort this mess out. 

Britain was Great in the EU. We're just in a different world to where we were in the 60's. Do people think we'll re-start Austin Rover and start doing Shipping and steel again? No we won't. Oh and it was the tories that ruined this NOT the EU. 

The sad thing is the poor who were fed up of being poor just voted to be poorer. 

I expect the UK to stay in the  single market / European Economic Area, but that will involve keeping free movement of people. So basically it will pretty much the same but with a bit more red tape.

so in summary it won't have a massive impact on European players being able to play in the UK but it will cost us more as the Pound is devalued (it won't bounce back as people think - it isn't an elastic band). Oh and the British public should never have been given this vote because as has been proven, they do not understand the EU. 

But lets all remember WAWAW?!?! 

Edited by crookesowl

2 hours ago, crookesowl said:

The only people to win out of this are Farage and Johnson, although I think Johnson is now pooing himself as he didn't think he would win. His political agenda to be on the side of "the people" backfired as he now has to sort this mess out. 

Britain was Great in the EU. We're just in a different world to where we were in the 60's. Do people think we'll re-start Austin Rover and start doing Shipping and steel again? No we won't. Oh and it was the tories that ruined this NOT the EU. 

The sad thing is the poor who were fed up of being poor just voted to be poorer. 

I expect the UK to stay in the  single market / European Economic Area, but that will involve keeping free movement of people. So basically it will pretty much the same but with a bit more red tape.

so in summary it won't have a massive impact on European players being able to play in the UK but it will cost us more as the Pound is devalued (it won't bounce back as people think - it isn't an elastic band). Oh and the British public should never have been given this vote because as has been proven, they do not understand the EU. 

But (THE POOR PEOPLE) could only see that they would get poorer, in the EU.

As for the other the other point I underlined, I think they (the poor people) had a right to vote on who they thought was responsible for  being (poor), and I believe that people did understand  the EU and when given the vote decided that the Migration question was not being addressed, and could not be addressed being part of the

EU.

I also believe it was wrong for us to leave , but nothing was done nor could it be done to alleviate the problem of immigration, that is down to the EU.

PS as you can see, hopefully, that to categorize  people who voted out as (poor people) was a misnomer.

Edited by daleblue

3 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Hey. Thanks for explaining that. It is all crystal clear now.

A few questions if you would be willing to explain things to me. I realize i'm a bit thick and shouldn't really be allowed opinions and as for being allowed to vote on important matters as this, well, that should clearly be left to the more informed such as your good self.

But here goes anyway.

If Boris Johnson was expecting to lose, why would he have potentially risked sacrificing his political career?  If the result had been to remain, Boris Johnson would have been chewed up & spat out by his own party and would have been in the political wilderness for the foreseeable future. Good career move in order to ingratiate himself with 'the people' as you patronisingly put it.

As for Britain being great in the EU. Were we? We were successful in spite of the EU not because of it. Medium sized businesses that are the backbone of this country were bombarded with more & more petty bureaucratic rules that made life ever more difficult for them. Some advantages yes, but plenty of hindrances as well.

Your memories of the good old days remembering the halcyon days of the 'Austin/Rover' days is almost beyond parody and as for the dreaded Tories wrecking everything, I would also look at Labour's record of supporting manufacturing during their various terms. Neither are blameless.

The Referendum was not run on clear party lines which must be a bit of a nightmare for you and the usual class warriors, but it did became absolutely clear that the remain side which Labour strongly supported but not exclusively, only represented the chattering classes in London and the Oxbridge cities and completely ignored their traditional heartlands. The representatives of these areas were shock horror, the very people you vilify at the outset Boris Johnson & Nigel Farage.

Even the relatively left leaning BBC this morning refer to it, showing the bankers & financiers in the city, sipping champagne prior to the shock result, totally oblivious to the problems we are experiencing in the North. They also seem to share your opinion that we are incapable of making an informed decision and therefore shouldn't be allowed to.

How you equate 'Free trade' with 'freedom of movement' is somewhat confusing. Free trade will carry on because we have products to sell which Europe (among others) want to buy, and they have products which we want to buy. As regards more 'Red Tape', we'll see on that front.

As for currencies not fluctuating, that is possibly the most absurd part of your piece. Traders buy & sell currency & gamble on the future value of it, so how it cannot fluctuate is baffling. It is true the pound will fluctuate initially but will recover in the longer term. I go on holiday in a couple of weeks and it will no doubt cost me more but i see this a small price to pay. I do incidentally have sympathy for people who are moving larger sums around who will feel the brunt of it initially. I also suspect anyone who does this will have possibly expected it & made contingency plans.

Your final paragraph is the classic patronising view of people who automatically assume they know best. "Oh and the British public should never have been given this vote because as has been proven, they do not understand the EU". 

I wonder whether  you & your mates in the London wine bars shared this view when the unwashed in the Northern Heartlands voted in Labour governments time & again against their wishes, when according to you they clearly weren't equipped to make informed decisions in numerous General Elections.

Democracy is great when you win.

It stinks when you lose, but it's still democracy. 

But as you rightly say.

WAWAW.

3 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Hey. Thanks for explaining that. It is all crystal clear now.

A few questions if you would be willing to explain things to me. I realize i'm a bit thick and shouldn't really be allowed opinions and as for being allowed to vote on important matters as this, well, that should clearly be left to the more informed such as your good self.

But here goes anyway.

If Boris Johnson was expecting to lose, why would he have potentially risked sacrificing his political career?  If the result had been to remain, Boris Johnson would have been chewed up & spat out by his own party and would have been in the political wilderness for the foreseeable future. Good career move in order to ingratiate himself with 'the people' as you patronisingly put it.

As for Britain being great in the EU. Were we? We were successful in spite of the EU not because of it. Medium sized businesses that are the backbone of this country were bombarded with more & more petty bureaucratic rules that made life ever more difficult for them. Some advantages yes, but plenty of hindrances as well.

Your memories of the good old days remembering the halcyon days of the 'Austin/Rover' days is almost beyond parody and as for the dreaded Tories wrecking everything, I would also look at Labour's record of supporting manufacturing during their various terms. Neither are blameless.

The Referendum was not run on clear party lines which must be a bit of a nightmare for you and the usual class warriors, but it did became absolutely clear that the remain side which Labour strongly supported but not exclusively, only represented the chattering classes in London and the Oxbridge cities and completely ignored their traditional heartlands. The representatives of these areas were shock horror, the very people you vilify at the outset Boris Johnson & Nigel Farage.

Even the relatively left leaning BBC this morning refer to it, showing the bankers & financiers in the city, sipping champagne prior to the shock result, totally oblivious to the problems we are experiencing in the North. They also seem to share your opinion that we are incapable of making an informed decision and therefore shouldn't be allowed to.

How you equate 'Free trade' with 'freedom of movement' is somewhat confusing. Free trade will carry on because we have products to sell which Europe (among others) want to buy, and they have products which we want to buy. As regards more 'Red Tape', we'll see on that front.

As for currencies not fluctuating, that is possibly the most absurd part of your piece. Traders buy & sell currency & gamble on the future value of it, so how it cannot fluctuate is baffling. It is true the pound will fluctuate initially but will recover in the longer term. I go on holiday in a couple of weeks and it will no doubt cost me more but i see this a small price to pay. I do incidentally have sympathy for people who are moving larger sums around who will feel the brunt of it initially. I also suspect anyone who does this will have possibly expected it & made contingency plans.

Your final paragraph is the classic patronising view of people who automatically assume they know best. "Oh and the British public should never have been given this vote because as has been proven, they do not understand the EU". 

I wonder whether  you & your mates in the London wine bars shared this view when the unwashed in the Northern Heartlands voted in Labour governments time & again against their wishes, when according to you they clearly weren't equipped to make informed decisions in numerous General Elections.

Democracy is great when you win.

It stinks when you lose, but it's still democracy. 

But as you rightly say.

WAWAW.

When is the referendum on hanging if the people are to be trusted?

Hey Pickledegghiderman, what is wrong with the people making the decisions? they know best after all.

Why not have a vote to legalise cannabis as well?

The point I am making is where do we draw the line in letting the average citizen decide our entire future like we did last Thursday.

1 minute ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Hey Pickledegghiderman, what is wrong with the people making the decisions? they know best after all.

Why not have a vote to legalise cannabis as well?

The point I am making is where do we draw the line in letting the average citizen decide our entire future like we did last Thursday.

Theres a difference on letting people vote for laws and people voting on the political setup of a country. Nobody knows exactly whats going to happen next but i would have thought that not a very lot will change. If anything the EU could end up having to undergo massive reforms as we are not the only country who seem to be disillusioned with the way things are run in brussels. Oh and the constant sniping at people making out that they are too stupid to make their own decisions on the way our country is run is also another reason as to why people swayed towards the leave campaign

1 minute ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Theres a difference on letting people vote for laws and people voting on the political setup of a country. Nobody knows exactly whats going to happen next but i would have thought that not a very lot will change. If anything the EU could end up having to undergo massive reforms as we are not the only country who seem to be disillusioned with the way things are run in brussels. Oh and the constant sniping at people making out that they are too stupid to make their own decisions on the way our country is run is also another reason as to why people swayed towards the leave campaign

Where In my post did I give an opinion, I merely posed an ideological question.