Will leaving the EU impact potential signings

As above really. I know the exit won't happen for at least a couple of years yet but I would guess this could make getting talent from abroad more difficult especially if we are in the championship. 

What opinions or facts do you lot have about this?

It will. Current work permit rules on non EU players require 75% international appearances in last 2(?) years or to be regarded as a "exceptional" talent. So Joao, forestieri, Matias etc would all probably fail that. Plus the massive drop in the £ means the wages we can offer are not as tempting as they were yesterday. 

Aside from exchange rate, don't we have 2 years before meaningful changes are made and our exit ratified? Shouldn't affect most playing contracts signed this summer, maybe slightly more expensive if converted from sterling that's all.

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Aside from exchange rate, don't we have 2 years before meaningful changes are made and our exit ratified? Shouldn't affect most playing contracts signed this summer, maybe slightly more expensive if converted from sterling that's all.

Yeah sorry forgot to put that part in. yeah at least 2 years before anything changes, I was thinking more towards the future. The next two seasons shouldn't be affected apart from exchange rate and that was always going to dip at first but it'll recover and the euro will weaken when other countries decide to leave it too (this I believe will happen, could be wrong but other countries already talking about it).

It's going to have a massive effect, the 2 years thing is a red herring, EU policy will be reformed over the next 2 years ready for the leave date. So impact will be sooner. No EU based player in their right minds will come here now. There's no security and wages will be lower. The price of UK players will rocket, only rich top clubs will be buying. The prem will become less of a marketing tool so sky money will be less. Downward spiral. But hey our bananas are back!

Think the only answer anyone can give to this is don't know.

Overall in a few years think this will be good for British football. Fed up of clubs including Wednesday getting in average foreign players ahead of bringing through players from youth teams.

Think over the year players like Nilsson, Harkes, Carbone and more recently Fernando Forestieri have brought a lot to Sheffield Wednesday and glad I have seen them play for us but for everyone of them I think they have been 3 or 4 who have brought nothing to the English game or the Sheffield Wednesday.

21 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think the only answer anyone can give to this is don't know.

Overall in a few years think this will be good for British football. Fed up of clubs including Wednesday getting in average foreign players ahead of bringing through players from youth teams.

Think over the year players like Nilsson, Harkes, Carbone and more recently Fernando Forestieri have brought a lot to Sheffield Wednesday and glad I have seen them play for us but for everyone of them I think they have been 3 or 4 who have brought nothing to the English game or the Sheffield Wednesday.

And for every decent Englishman we've had? 

26 minutes ago, shez owl said:

It's going to have a massive effect, the 2 years thing is a red herring, EU policy will be reformed over the next 2 years ready for the leave date. So impact will be sooner. No EU based player in their right minds will come here now. There's no security and wages will be lower. The price of UK players will rocket, only rich top clubs will be buying. The prem will become less of a marketing tool so sky money will be less. Downward spiral. But hey our bananas are back!

OK, just give in and cut your throat now then, we're doomed, doomed I tell thee !

relax FFS, we will be OK. The markets and currency rates can rise as well as fall, they will level out, at the moment it's just panic and people trying to make money...

Guest wilyfox

I wouldn't panic. Permit allowances could be made for professional sportsmen and women coming to this country. There is no vow that entry requirements will become unreasonable for them. Still very surprised the nation favoured leaving though. 

We need to invoke Article 50 before anything happens. That will start the negotiation process to outline the terms of leaving the EU. With regards to the OP's question, as the PL is such a huge export (global TV rights) and worldwide brand, I would imagine that part of the terms we negotiate would be to leave in place the non-requirement of work permits for EU football players, meeting whatever criteria is currently in place. 

IMHO of course. Not sure of laws or policies surrounding this.

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't panic. Permit allowances could be made for professional sportsmen and women coming to this country. There is no vow that entry requirements will become unreasonable for them. Still very surprised the nation favoured leaving though. 

Nigel Farage will be handling the work permit applications. :manager:

18 minutes ago, Shezza said:

And for every decent Englishman we've had? 

Yes you might be right that with more English players the quality on the pitch might have been the same or worse but think football as a whole (and yes include SWFC in this) has lost some of its identity with so many foreigners in teams, in coaching positions and as owners. 

Edited by matthefish2002

9 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

OK, just give in and cut your throat now then, we're doomed, doomed I tell thee !

relax FFS, we will be OK. The markets and currency rates can rise as well as fall, they will level out, at the moment it's just panic and people trying to make money...

Just more scaremongering from the Remained to try and force an election or a revote

6 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Level out?! The markets are least of our worries. Everything we buy will be more expensive than now forever! We have just said f@ck you to our biggest trading partner and the organisation that regulates prices. But them bananas hey

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Nigel Farage will be handling the work permit applications. :manager:

lol

i tell ya what... If clubs didn't like the premium on English players now, they sure as hell ain't gonna like it in 5yrs time.