Will leaving the EU impact potential signings

On 24/06/2016 at 08:45, mozzy85 said:

Yeah sorry forgot to put that part in. yeah at least 2 years before anything changes, I was thinking more towards the future. The next two seasons shouldn't be affected apart from exchange rate and that was always going to dip at first but it'll recover and the euro will weaken when other countries decide to leave it too (this I believe will happen, could be wrong but other countries already talking about it).

i would imagine that the other countries that really carry the power in the eu will make sure that our 'leaving' will be a harsh enough lesson to others contemplating similar moves, hence them wanting article 50 asap, as for guessing over interest rates, best left for time to tell, no need for lies anymore...

Edited by dnhc

On 24/06/2016 at 09:23, ChapSmurf said:

We need to invoke Article 50 before anything happens. That will start the negotiation process to outline the terms of leaving the EU. With regards to the OP's question, as the PL is such a huge export (global TV rights) and worldwide brand, I would imagine that part of the terms we negotiate would be to leave in place the non-requirement of work permits for EU football players, meeting whatever criteria is currently in place. 

IMHO of course. Not sure of laws or policies surrounding this.

no, that's what we're telling ourselves, do we actually think europe are going to sit there like a continent full of mugs waiting till we feel like moving?

cameron's there next week ain't he?

On 24/06/2016 at 09:23, ChapSmurf said:

We need to invoke Article 50 before anything happens. That will start the negotiation process to outline the terms of leaving the EU. With regards to the OP's question, as the PL is such a huge export (global TV rights) and worldwide brand, I would imagine that part of the terms we negotiate would be to leave in place the non-requirement of work permits for EU football players, meeting whatever criteria is currently in place. 

IMHO of course. Not sure of laws or policies surrounding this.

no, that's what we're telling ourselves, do we actually think europe are going to sit there like a continent full of mugs waiting till we feel like moving?

6 minutes ago, dnhc said:

It is totally up to our government when article 50 is invoked. Until that happens we have not officially given notice that we intend to leave the EU.

My guess would be that it won't be done officially until December due to the financial year in the EU being the same as a calendar year. We would then take the full 2 years to exit and not need to make proportionate calculations.

5 minutes ago, Triple O said:

It is totally up to our government when article 50 is invoked. Until that happens we have not officially given notice that we intend to leave the EU.

My guess would be that it won't be done officially until December due to the financial year in the EU being the same as a calendar year. We would then take the full 2 years to exit and not need to make proportionate calculations.

Exactly 

Just tell the EU to pipe down and we will do this in our own time

25 minutes ago, Triple O said:

I suppose their is the question of what the other countries in the uk are going to do as regarding leaving the uk and staying in the eu. There is a chance that article 50 might not be invoked until these matters are sorted out. There could even be a general election held in which a political party is voted in that refuses to invoke article 50

8 minutes ago, pickledegghiderman said:

I suppose their is the question of what the other countries in the uk are going to do as regarding leaving the uk and staying in the eu. There is a chance that article 50 might not be invoked until these matters are sorted out. There could even be a general election held in which a political party is voted in that refuses to invoke article 50

If you are referring to if Scotland were to be independent then they could not "stay" in the EU. They would have to apply behind all the others waiting to join. They would also need all EU countries to back their proposal. Spain for one would be totally against as it would set a president and they are worried at least 2 of their autonomous regions would want to go the same way.

4 minutes ago, Triple O said:

If you are referring to if Scotland were to be independent then they could not "stay" in the EU. They would have to apply behind all the others waiting to join. They would also need all EU countries to back their proposal. Spain for one would be totally against as it would set a president and they are worried at least 2 of their autonomous regions would want to go the same way.

Precedent.

I guess many players will be more willing to move to areas where they feel they and their families will be made to feel welcome - where a majority voted to remain like London, Scotland and Leeds. Places like Sheffield will find it hard to attract overseas players

3 hours ago, MartinOwlMan said:

I guess many players will be more willing to move to areas where they feel they and their families will be made to feel welcome - where a majority voted to remain like London, Scotland and Leeds. Places like Sheffield will find it hard to attract overseas players

What foreign star could resist a bedsit in Heeley? :duntmatter:

16 hours ago, dnhc said:

TBH, I don't know how it works. I agree with what you are saying re the EU not sitting there, but it is my understanding, and I could well be wrong (I think I've been wrong on one occasion :biggrin:), that it is up to the UK to trigger article 50 and negotiate the terms of leaving.

Leaving this hanging in the air is no good for anyone, but as Cameron isn't stepping down until October, and as he has said he will not be the one negotiating the terms, I doubt anything will happen before then.

4 hours ago, MartinOwlMan said:

lol

Work permits might not be required. I expect we will negotiate something akin to a freedom of movement deal anyway a la Norway. 

We didn't elect Farage last Thursday, so no reason to assume his politics will be implemented. I don't see us becoming isolationist and inward looking as the political elites on both sides don't want that. We are not obliged to block free movement from the EU just because we have left. In fact, to access the free market we will need to allow it to some degree. The leave camp left that bit out when claiming we could still access the FM but control movement. You can't do both.

On 24 June 2016 at 14:16, wilyfox said:

Of course it will. In the short term, the pound has dropped like a stone - so immediately, players will cost more. Long term, we have to wait and see what future work permit requirements will be.

The pound has dropped for everyone its an even playing field as they say.