Hanley

Bannan

Reach

Forshaw

Fletcher

Hooper

Forestieri

Perhaps, not quite what we wanted, but none too shabby either

Firstly, our core players should be starting next year, evolution not revolution was the view from cc. And I'd expect us to look fairly similar to last season.

Westwood 

Hunt

Lees

Wallace

Lee 

Bannan

Forestieri 

Hooper

So it's adding to that.

Does Loovens need replacing? Not really, and not for £5m, but competition and cover is needed.

Pudil in again at left back would be my first choice, and cover is needed there.

Fletcher would be a great partner for hooper, with joao potentially also being in the mix.

So really, a 2nd choice left back, a bigger centre mid, 2nd choice wingers, a striker and possibly one centre back. 

40 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Reach played left wing and left back all last season. So could he and Fernando play in the same side?

He did yes, but Wallace is also a left winger, who plays on the right. I'd imagine we'd utilise Reach Iin the same way

31 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

So Nixon thinks we're not gonna go for it this summer or go for top two and we're gonna spend more on defence than attack? Nixon doesn't seem very clued up at all and probably knows as little about DC and CC's transfer activity as we do. Naff all. In fact, Newcastle are in the running to get Hanley and stand more chance of signing him. And if we're going to challenge top two then its midfield and attack that need addressing and where money needs to be spent in order to compete with the likes of the relegated sides and Derby.

Your sentiments are similar to those of Wily, and mine. We don't know if Nicko is right on this, so that's why I said, let's pretend that he is, then how would we feel. To be honest, at first I was even a little sniffy about Fletcher, until I had a word with myself. All are signings that would improve us, and all address issues that we had problems with last season. I guess I hoped for better, or more exotic signings, but if it turned out to be those five, then realistically, we'd have done some good business

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Firstly, our core players should be starting next year, evolution not revolution was the view from cc. And I'd expect us to look fairly similar to last season.

Westwood 

Hunt

Lees

Wallace

Lee 

Bannan

Forestieri 

Hooper

So it's adding to that.

Does Loovens need replacing? Not really, and not for £5m, but competition and cover is needed.

Pudil in again at left back would be my first choice, and cover is needed there.

Fletcher would be a great partner for hooper, with joao potentially also being in the mix.

So really, a 2nd choice left back, a bigger centre mid, 2nd choice wingers, a striker and possibly one centre back. 

I think this is a really good summary of where we should be at the start of the season, though I would still start the season with Lee and Bannan in the middle. We do need a quality player to cover and challenge these two, now that Lopez has gone.

Forshaw and Reach are both very good, Championship-experienced players who would certainly improve our squad. If we think back to the playoff final for example, I'd have been much happier to see Adam Reach coming off the bench (or Ross Wallace if Reach had started the game) than Jérémy Hélan.

There's a decent little article on Reach's loan spell at Preston here:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/how-middlesbrough-fc-winger-adam-11147008

Of all the names linked so far though, Steven Fletcher is the one that really stands out; I just think the experience and quality he'd bring to our front line could be the difference.

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Your sentiments are similar to those of Wily, and mine. We don't know if Nicko is right on this, so that's why I said, let's pretend that he is, then how would we feel. To be honest, at first I was even a little sniffy about Fletcher, until I had a word with myself. All are signings that would improve us, and all address issues that we had problems with last season. I guess I hoped for better, or more exotic signings, but if it turned out to be those five, then realistically, we'd have done some good business

To be fair the two Middlesboro lads tie in, sort of with last summers recruitment. With the pursuit of promoted Watford players.

From what I've read, it sounds like Newcastle are favourites to get Hanley and want to partner him with Caulker.

Personally not sure about the level of improvement, those signings would provide. I'd be happy with the two Middlesboro players, if they give us a similar impact as the Watford players did last season.

I still feel, DC will go for it more. And expect exciting things to happen this summer. I'd be surprised if we didn't spend fairly big on a striker or a midfielder. And I'd be surprised if we didn't go back in for Adlene Guedioura?

Of course the other thing, while I'd be happy with those five, if indeed it was them, most of our rivals will be making similar improvements Most likely, some will be doing significantly more. So we may have a better squad than last season, but won't necessarily improve our chances of automatic. From an entertainment point of view though, we'll be watching better players

29 minutes ago, Random Task said:

Where's the idea that we are only going to sign the Nixon 5 come from?

Nowhere really, just speculating on the ones he's suggested. As for "only", again just going on what Carlos said about evolution, not revolution. Maybe he's fibbing, and we will bring in more, we don't know what will happen, even Nicko

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nowhere really, just speculating on the ones he's suggested. As for "only", again just going on what Carlos said about evolution, not revolution. Maybe he's fibbing, and we will bring in more, we don't know what will happen, even Nicko

Thats alright then. Evolution not revolution could mean signing 3-4 first teamers and then 4-5 squad players, to be fair. 

29 minutes ago, Random Task said:

Thats alright then. Evolution not revolution could mean signing 3-4 first teamers and then 4-5 squad players, to be fair. 

Think you're pushing it a bit there, adding potentially, 9 players to the squad, seems more like revolution to me though. Dunno, as long as we address the areas where we were short, and have adequate cover, that'll do me.

Guest wilyfox

We learnt of Forshaw last Sunday. Said at the time, he'd be a decent alternative to Lopez. I still believe that. Played a significant part in Boro's promotion last season. A very tidy player. Reach...I'm not so familiar with. I understand he's just had a decent season at Preston, and was part of Boro's team that went all the way to playoff final year before - so can't be too shabby. 

Does anyone have The Sun article, or is it just a short one-liner? 

Decent article with a PNE fan discussing reach. Talks of his versatility.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/how-middlesbrough-fc-winger-adam-11147008

from what I've seen of him he is like a traditional winger, but quite tall so has that gangly side to him. He was gliding past our defenders for Boro and putting some mint crosses in. I think he scored too.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Reach destroyed us at times for Boro and was a handful at PNE 

Gimme the lowdown on him. Is he top 2 material? Would he be as useful to us as Tom Ince is to Derby, for example? Would he help bridge the gap to the likes of Newcastle when they spend their thunderbucks? 

Well Boro didn't think so. But in terms of adding a new dimension to what we have ie someone with pace who will look to stretch a team and put a ball across I think it would be another one that ticks the shrewd box.

you could spend money on downing for example to get the bookies excited, but there's the risk he may not be that bothered. Whereas Reach has had two relatively successful seasons and is on the rise in the background. He's not a big name but I'd be pleased if we got him in.

I don't think he'd be quite the same as Tom Ince though who seems to want to do a bit of everything ie be a winger and a striker and he doesn't score as many. But I think we have others who can score goals.

i know jack hunts defensive game has been criticised but that one sided first half at Hillsboro against Boro. Everyone looked for downing to shine but it was reach who gave us a real headache