Nuhiu

Those of you who prefer life without him will get their wish next week. He certainly wont manage 3 matches in six days. Carlos talks of his slow recovery rate.

I imagine he will start v Preston, but be rested v QPR, so FF up top and McGeady wide mid . I hope you are right that our six buzzing bees will work, but I have doubts. I for one always feel great when I see Nuhiu's name next to Hooper. Not because I think he is a wonderful player. He isn't. But he is the one that allows our 3 superstars, Bannan, Hooper and FF to play their best positions.

Yes, off the top of my head. There's 4 players who would not only do Nuhiu's job better, they'd also offer goals. All would be (or would've been) realistic signings for a reasonable price. and they are probably at the top end of the scale quality wise. You wouldn't be able to replace any of our other first team players for the sort of offers it would take to get any of those 4. Which reinforces my point about Nuhiu being the easiest to replace.

This is of course assuming we need to play a Nuhiu type striker, which we really don't. Norwich didn't play with a Nuhiu type and Hooper scored plenty for them. Watford didn't, and FF looked awesome for them. We have won games comfortably without him.

He's started contributing since the turn of the year and deserves credit for some good performances, but this idea that he's an essential part of this team is wrong. We have some outstanding attacking players for this level and they are the ones who are scoring goals and winning games.

"He brings defenders towards him and subsequently out of the game"

Sorry but this is just ridiculous.

People actually using this as one of Nuhiu's stand out attributes.

Every striker attracts defenders towards them. Seriously, every single one. Nuhiu does tend to receive a bit rougher treatment from defenders and very little protection from referees due to his size, but he doesn't attract any more defenders than any other striker.

He's not creating space for other players at all and he's not in the side to do that. Movement creates space.

Something confuses me here. We all know that Nuhiu doesn't contribute in terms of goals that he scores himself (that's a fact) and you state that Nuhiu doesn't create space or attract defenders, however, you say he's contributed since the turn of the year and deserves credit for some good performances. Can you explain how he has contributed since the turn of the year and what he deserves credit for?

You seem to be so critical of Nuhiu that I can't see what aspects of his game that you could acknowledge.

Edited by shandypants

Yes, off the top of my head. There's 4 players who would not only do Nuhiu's job better, they'd also offer goals. All would be (or would've been) realistic signings for a reasonable price. and they are probably at the top end of the scale quality wise. You wouldn't be able to replace any of our other first team players for the sort of offers it would take to get any of those 4. Which reinforces my point about Nuhiu being the easiest to replace.

This is of course assuming we need to play a Nuhiu type striker, which we really don't. Norwich didn't play with a Nuhiu type and Hooper scored plenty for them. Watford didn't, and FF looked awesome for them. We have won games comfortably without him.

He's started contributing since the turn of the year and deserves credit for some good performances, but this idea that he's an essential part of this team is wrong. We have some outstanding attacking players for this level and they are the ones who are scoring goals and winning games.

So basically you do know more than Carlos then.

In fact, according to you he could play a better system without Nuhui. Tell you what, drop him an email Im sure he will appreciate being told where hes getting it wrong .

Honestly, the arrogance in your posts is breathtaking.

I'll say it again, if there are better options available then Carlos would have taken them up. Do you not think he is aware of the players you have mentioned?

Something confuses me here. We all know that Nuhiu doesn't contribute in terms of goals that he scores himself (that's a fact) and you state that Nuhiu doesn't create space or attract defenders, however, you say he's contributed since the turn of the year and deserves credit for some good performances. Can you explain how he has contributed since the turn of the year and what he deserves credit for?

You seem to be so critical of Nuhiu that I can't see what aspects of his game that you could acknowledge.

Deserves credit for some good performances. Something that he very rarely produced in the first half of the season. I think he's had a positive impact on our attacking play more often in the last month and a half, than he did in the 5 months before that

Deserves credit for some good performances. Something that he very rarely produced in the first half of the season. I think he's had a positive impact on our attacking play more often in the last month and a half, than he did in the 5 months before that

So from what you've posted, it appears that we have a system now, of which Nuhiu is an integral part. This system and the selection options available has been developed and refined since the start of the season. We are now seeing great dividends being paid in terms of form, results and team spirit.

That is what you are saying isn't it?

Ian also says the same thing in his posts, from what I've read.

Obviously so.

Hooper has come into the team and added a fresh perspective. There is now no pressure on Adthe so score goals. He can now get by on physical presence and being a provider which he does best. 

If you were at the brum game, you would see he made a massive difference when he came on, we had no presence before that. No way we'd have got 3 points without him.

He reminds me of Giroud but without the goals. If he could bag 20 he certainly wouldn't be playing at our level.

Every championship club would take him I can assure you.

So from what you've posted, it appears that we have a system now, of which Nuhiu is an integral part. This system and the selection options available has been developed and refined since the start of the season. We are now seeing great dividends being paid in terms of form, results and team spirit.

That is what you are saying isn't it?

Ian also says the same thing in his posts, from what I've read.

I think in the last month and a half, he's more than proven his worth as a very useful member of the squad. But I don't think he's critical to how we play.

Yes but how do you believe he has had a positive effect?  You clearly state that he is lacking in some aspects and specifically state them but yet, can't state clearly how he's had a positive effect on our attacking play recently. 

When those that support Nuhiu have stated previously that he has a positive effect on our play, you have argued against their assertion with your specific points but now you haven't stated clearly how he has been contributing positively.  Could it be the very thing that those that support him state that he bring to the team that you now believe brings benefit to the side - the very thing that is hard to quantify and qualify; namely his physical presence and "all round" game? 

I think in the last month and a half, he's more than proven his worth as a very useful member of the squad. But I don't think he's critical to how we play.

He is an option against certain types of opposition and in certain game situations. He offers something different to Joao and something different to Forestieri/Hooper together up front. From that perspective, no he isn't critical to how we play but he is certainly an extremely useful alternative to have.

OK.

This applies to all.

But Carlos picks him regularly despite not being being critical to how we play, why is this?

The stats argue conclusively that performance based on goals scored and results is superior when Nuhiu is on the pitch to when he isn't.

No player is critical, our squad is big.

Edited by F. Spiksley

Yes but how do you believe he has had a positive effect?  You clearly state that he is lacking in some aspects and specifically state them but yet, can't state clearly how he's had a positive effect on our attacking play recently. 

He's setting goals up, creating chances, looks confident and has had a bit of swagger about him recently. Add that to his obvious physical presence (which I've never argued against), and he's become a very useful member of the squad.

He's setting goals up, creating chances, looks confident and has had a bit of swagger about him recently. Add that to his obvious physical presence (which I've never argued against), and he's become a very useful member of the squad.

But he's still our worst striker ever because he's tall and not that prolific, which taking your points aside only count because he's wearing #9

Or at least that's what Ian and Farrell are trying to say

Can't believe there are people who still can't see why CC plays him so often.

We win more games when he's on the field than off. Teams are forced to have 2 players marking him at all times because of his height and ability to hold the ball up. His assists recently should have spoken for themselves (header down for Lee v. Burnley and lay off for Hooper v. Brum come to mind)...

...but still not good enough apparently, even when sat in 5th with the best form in the league.

:duntmatter:

OK.

This applies to all.

But Carlos picks him regularly despite not being being critical to how we play, why is this?

The stats argue conclusively that performance based on goals scored and results is superior when Nuhiu is on the pitch to when he isn't.

No player is critical, our squad is big.

We can't do without FF, Hooper, Bannan, Lee etc. They are critical to how we play, Nuhiu isn't, but is still useful.

Out of all our first teamers, his attributes would be the cheapest and easiest to replace/upgrade imo, which was my original point.

Thank you.  I appreciate and acknowledge your answer. 

For the record, I have typically been where you are now in terms of your opinion, however, I have been of that opinion longer than you have and will probably hold that opinion long after you have changed it.  I must also point out that (as everyone will agree) I also agree with you that we can do better than Nuhiu, however, where you and I differ is that I believe that there aren't that many players around that are realistically priced and better than Nuhiu (in terms of his role). 

I am not going to object to your argument now unless it changes from what it currently is because, basically, we now share the same opinion about Nuhiu.  I never thought I'd say that.