Nuhiu

Sorry to sound condescending but do you follow cricket? The answer to your above question is "yes", you would keep picking that player. Number Three batsman very often have to support their batting partners - they may have to dig in after an opening partnership collapse or they maybe have to act as a foil to an opening batsman or a Number Four or Number Five that are piling on the runs.

I think you ask a great question which makes a good analogy for Nuhiu's role in the team because Number Three batsmen don't necessarily score a great number of runs but are often the platform for an effective performance from the team in the same way that Nuhiu doesn't score a great number of goals but is the platform for an effective performance.

yes I follow cricket as some on here will confirm and whilst I understand your point I think you'll find there's very few, if any, number 3 batsmen with single digit averages knocking about because although the role is more than just run scoring there are others who can provide the extra and score runs

The question you were asked was "Who would you replace him with?".

Off the top of your head you gave us:

1. Kermorgant, who you accept is unavailable because he has gone to Reading;

2, Kiké from Boro, who you accept is unavailable because he has gone to Spain;

3. Oliveira who is on a season long loan at Forest; and

4. Matt Smith who you describe as a 'goal threat'. He has scored 1 in 16 this season (0 in the last 15). To be fair to Matt Smith, he seems to provide a similar role to Nuhiu, i.e. he helps to create space for Ross McCormack. His contract, I understand, runs to 1917 with an option to extend by 1 yr. You say he wouldn't cost a lot. That can only be conjecture on your part.

I appreciate you said your list was "...off the top of my head". The list provided, however, falls someway short of substantiating your suggestion that '...there's loads'.

Rickie Lambert

yes I follow cricket as some on here will confirm and whilst I understand your point I think you'll find there's very few, if any, number 3 batsmen with single digit averages knocking about because although the role is more than just run scoring there are others who can provide the extra and score runs

No Number Threes will have single digit averages. IMHO, your comparison should really be that of a low scoring dogged number three that occasionally hits runscoring form. More Ian Bell than Viv Richards.

No Number Threes will have single digit averages. IMHO, your comparison should really be that of a low scoring dogged number three that occasionally hits runscoring form. More Ian Bell than Viv Richards.

The recently dropped Ian Bell?

The recently dropped Ian Bell?

Yes. Him. What is your point here? Every player is dropped at some point. Bell is no spring chicken. Give me some room to put my point forward FFS! I'm trying to discuss sensibly but your point about Bell has no relevance given the point he is in his career. I was gracious enough to acknowledge your point earlier; surely you can do the same?

Edited by shandypants

Yes. Him. What is your point here? Every player is dropped at some point. Bell is no spring chicken. Give me some room to put my point forward FFS! I'm trying to discuss sensibly but your point about Bell has no relevance given the point he is in his career. I was gracious enough to acknowledge your point earlier; surely you can do the same?

yes I do Acknowledge your point and I'm merely just stimulating debate, which is at what point does an individual's failure to contribute become relevant if the team keeps winning......some will say you stay with the winning team whilst the counter arguement is to strengthen before you lose not after

Come on Big Lad ... don't any notice of the muppets on here ...

most who post at times when they should be at the game.

because it's impossible to post while at the game isn't it....muppet (not that I would)

This whole analogy doesn't work though. If it were possible for the said batsman to have some kind of influence on other batsmen such that, even from the non strikers end, he could make them score more heavily, then there could be an argument for keeping him in the team even if, he himself is not making any runs. But that is not how cricket works. Cricket is more individualistic.

Dis Sunderland fans constantly slag off Niall Quinn because he wasn't as prolific as Kevin Phillips? Or did they appreciate the differing roles that they brought to the forward line understanding that there was more to Quinn's game than contributing goals? Sure, Quinn was a better all round player than Nuhiu but we don't have anyone of that calibre with the same skills set and attributes. If we did, then there would be a strong argument for playing him ahead of Nuhiu. Right now, Nuhiu is doing a sterling job imitating the role that Quinn did at Sunderland albeit without the ability to chip in more goals.

As for the argument that Carvalhal doesn't play Nuhiu much, he clearly does and clearly has trust in Nuhiu. Carvalhal constantly rotates players and Nuhiu is no exception. For the first time in decades, the club has a squad that allows for various combinations of players depending on the circumstances. When Nuhiu has played, especially in recent weeks, he has influenced results none more so than the turn around at Birmingham.

The question you were asked was "Who would you replace him with?".

Off the top of your head you gave us:

1. Kermorgant, who you accept is unavailable because he has gone to Reading;

2, Kiké from Boro, who you accept is unavailable because he has gone to Spain;

3. Oliveira who is on a season long loan at Forest; and

4. Matt Smith who you describe as a 'goal threat'. He has scored 1 in 16 this season (0 in the last 15). To be fair to Matt Smith, he seems to provide a similar role to Nuhiu, i.e. he helps to create space for Ross McCormack. His contract, I understand, runs to 1917 with an option to extend by 1 yr. You say he wouldn't cost a lot. That can only be conjecture on your part.

I appreciate you said your list was "...off the top of my head". The list provided, however, falls someway short of substantiating your suggestion that '...there's loads'.

If Matt Smith's contract ran out in 1917 surely he's available  WTF:

I'll make the same statement that I made last night - if anyone can point out where, in this thread (or any other about yesterday's game) that I've slagged off then I'll donate £100 to SCH.....those with obsessions about Nuhiu and wanting to decry anyone who doesn't think he's the second coming seem to have read something that hasn't been posted.....but what's new there

Secondly there seems to be a theme in this thread that Nuhiu starts every week.....he hasn't even started the last 2!

Just donate £100 to SCH without making a personal agenda out of it., like everyone else.

Rickie Lambert

Rickie Lambert is quoted as saying that he knows he is not good enough now to get into the West Brom team. He is 34 on Tuesday. He has 1 goal in 23 appearances this season. On the basis that a) Nuhui has just extended his contract until at least the summer of 2018, and b) the squad, including Nuhiu, have taken us into 5th place, it seems very unlikely that we are going to replace him with someone whose undoubted ability is now waning.

Rickie Lambert is quoted as saying that he knows he is not good enough now to get into the West Brom team. He is 34 on Tuesday. He has 1 goal in 23 appearances this season. On the basis that a) Nuhui has just extended his contract until at least the summer of 2018, and b) the squad, including Nuhiu, have taken us into 5th place, it seems very unlikely that we are going to replace him with someone whose undoubted ability is now waning.

He's made 5 league starts......this is what always makes these threads go pear shaped......people quoting stats that bear no resemblance to the truth.

The only things he will lose with age are speed and reaction times.......I'd venture that his will still be better than some in our squad at 54 never mind 34

Edited by Ian

..the only truth is that he is an invaluable member of a squad that is utilised to its strengths and to counter other teams....it makes no difference if he starts, comes on at half time or makes a two minute appearance at the end...

The Dynamic Collective...we can discuss him until the end of time but while he's a Wednesday player....there really isn't much else to say.

Edited by Freshfish

He's made 5 league starts......this is what always makes these threads go pear shaped......people quoting stats that bear no resemblance to the truth.

The only things he will lose with age are speed and reaction times.......I'd venture that his will still be better than some in our squad at 54 never mind 34

Do you have any plans for the next two and a half years...I'd hate to miss any more of these comedic pieces   lol