Form against top teams

Guest doike

Wednesday have accumulated fewer points against top half teams than Rotherham and Charlton (2 of the bottom 3). One win in 12 games against the top 14 teams with Brentford in 10th place being the highest placed team beaten!!

Discuss....

You get the same number of points whether you beat the top of the league or the bottom.

In reality, it doesn't matter who you beat, just that you beat enough teams over the course of the 46 games, to achieve your objective.

Would anybody give a throw if you made the playoffs, and had failed to beat a single side in the top 6? Of course they bloody wouldn't.

That's right - against other teams in the top 12 (so 22 games) they won 7, drew 5 and lost 10.

Against the top 8 (14 games), they only won 3.

Where they did amazingly well was against the bottom 12 (24 games) where they won 20, drew 3 and lost 1.

Bottom line is every game is 3 points and you need about 75 points to get in the play offs (last season the 6th placed team got 78 points).

You get the same number of points whether you beat the top of the league or the bottom.

In reality, it doesn't matter who you beat, just that you beat enough teams over the course of the 46 games, to achieve your objective.

Would anybody give a throw if you made the playoffs, and had failed to beat a single side in the top 6? Of course they bloody wouldn't.

I see your point but I think I would be bothered, yes. If we got into the playoffs having failed to beat any of the top 6, I think that gives our opponents a psychological advantage. If we do finish in the top 6, our objective would surely be to WIN the playoffs. If we can't beat the top sides, how would be do that?

It doesn't matter who we get points against Doike, only that we get enough overall.

Anyway it will change on Saturday when we beat Birmingham.

I do think yesterdays line up gave us more attacking threat, and if Carlos uses it against the better teams we will be harder to defend against.

I see your point but I think I would be bothered, yes. If we got into the playoffs having failed to beat any of the top 6, I think that gives our opponents a psychological advantage. If we do finish in the top 6, our objective would surely be to WIN the playoffs. If we can't beat the top sides, how would be do that?

Draw all the playoff games and win on penalties!

Wednesday have accumulated fewer points against top half teams than Rotherham and Charlton (2 of the bottom 3). One win in 12 games against the top 14 teams with Brentford in 10th place being the highest placed team beaten!!

Discuss....

It doesn't mean a thing. Our 2 defeats in this recent run came against Charlton and MK. Don't think we've under performed against any of the 'better' teams since that early settling in period.

Think the main area for improvement is away from home in general.

with teams in the bottom ten we have won all 6 of the home games. The 4 remaining games was away against the bottom 4 where we have won one, drawn one, lost two.

Continuing the home form, with a improvement away will see us fine