Sheffield Wed V Chelsea FA cup 1973!

Guest Charlton

Painful introduction to 70s football violence as a sixteen year old on the Kop that day ,

suffering a broken nose from a 40 something Chelsea skinhead who I'm pretty sure only had one arm !

I bet you saw him, and thought to yourself, "We'll be safe here, he looks 'armless enough".

• Haha 1

Guest Charlton

Some Chelsea fans were on the Kop but it looks like Wednesday fans were behind the leppings lane goal.

Where did away fans go back then at Hillsborough?

Those were the days when you went where you want. If you thought you were hard enough you'd go on the oppositions Kop and try to take it, otherwise on the opposite end. Home fans would also be in both ends. Seems crazy now but that's how it was.

Some Chelsea fans were on the Kop but it looks like Wednesday fans were behind the leppings lane goal.

Where did away fans go back then at Hillsborough?

They weren't any police planing in them days, away fans just turned up and went anywhere, some ended up in river after game whilst some ended up on A&E at Northern General.  lol

In reply to where were the chelsea fans well they did have most of leppings lane as I was above them . On the video it's shows owls behind there as well but believe me most were chelsea it was packed that day and they made some noise too . They were singing osgood osgood born is the king of Stamford bridge . If anyone else was in the west upper would like there account . Wednesday has majority of the upper west tho

In reply to where were the chelsea fans well they did have most of leppings lane as I was above them . On the video it's shows owls behind there as well but believe me most were chelsea it was packed that day and they made some noise too . They were singing osgood osgood born is the king of Stamford bridge . If anyone else was in the west upper would like there account . Wednesday has majority of the upper west tho

I can remember when we had season ticket holders in West stand upper, I think we stopped selling them after 80-81 season when the few hundred season ticket holders were having problems with stand being full of Newcastle fans first game of season.

I can remember when we had season ticket holders in West stand upper, I think we stopped selling them after 80-81 season when the few hundred season ticket holders were having problems with stand being full of Newcastle fans first game of season.

Don't know about season tickets but you could still buy match day tickets in the West long after that. Remember being in there v Liverpool for a 1-1 draw in 84-85 when Lawrenson equalised for them about 5 minutes from the end.

On 16/10/2015 at 21:44, ttimeowls said:

Just seen this thread and the you tube clip after a Google search to see if I can buy the match programme. It wasn't my first game but one of the early ones.

I was about 7 and went with my recently deceased Dad and my brother. We queued in a massive crowd scramble outside Leppings Lane for the West stand turnstiles. A police horse kept walking into the queue, deliberately moved by the policeman riding it. He was very abusive to anyone challenging his stupidity. The police opened an exit gate to relieve the pressure building at the turnstiles. Sound familiar?

We sat in the West stand. I remember the colour, atmosphere, excitement, Chelsea's red shirts and green socks and being a bit disappointed that Wednesday weren't wearing the home kit - didn't both teams or the home team usually change kit in an FA cup clash back then? And I don't remember any Chelsea fans around us, all Wednesday in the West stand seats I think.

And I was devastated we lost after being ahead. An early introduction of course into a young mind about what it's like being a Wednesday fan. I've got used to it.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2015 at 21:52, bradowl said:

Used to love the West stand when home fans could go in it.

Used to have a fence on the  concourse went over the refreshment bar counter. Seem to remember being in there as late as 83 as a kid.

I was sat in the west stand right behind Coyles net buster.

In truth we were very tired from the wednesday night replay with palace that had gone into extra time,we looked very leggy from around the hour mark onwards,we needed to be at our best to give them a game and that wasnt the case.