Sheffield Wed V Chelsea FA cup 1973!

Guest Charlton

Guest Charlton

I recently bought a house and have started fixing up the place.

Under the carpets I found loads of old newspaper including an old copy of the Sheffield Star.

There is a great photo of a packed North stand on a day when the crowd was 46,000 it states.

Apparently we lost the game and Osgood scored at least one of the Chelsea goals.

I was only eight at the time, so I was wondering if any of our fans attended that game and what division we would have been in at the time?

WAWAW

second div , we had just had a great win in the last round against palace but in all honesty in the chelsea game the team didnt perform .........think bagga coyle scored for us and only other thing i can remember was osgood giving the kop a flick when they scored down that end .

Guest spowowl

remember the match willie Henderson on the wing open kop absolutely packed, the round before crystal palace replay after dave sunley had scored in the 90 min at their ground we won at villa park joicey hat trick and colin prophet  it was either 4 3 or 4 2

remember the match willie Henderson on the wing open kop absolutely packed, the round before crystal palace replay after dave sunley had scored in the 90 min at their ground we won at villa park joicey hat trick and colin prophet  it was either 4 3 or 4 2

3 2 pal joicey hatrick. Think wee took about 15k down to Villa Park that night. Remember that Chelsea game too. The chelsea fans turned about five to three and piled into the back of the kop, and got sent packing. I used to stand just in front of the scoreboard and was crapping myself.

Guest minsk owl

Was at that game, Chelsea on the kop,  Bill Garner scored the other one for them, .......... Holsgrove and Garner both sent off near the end. 

Edited by minsk owl

I was sat at front of South Stand, I was only 9 so remember little apart from it being packed and seeing a large group of Chelsea fans down front of kop near North Stand.

I remember listening to live commentary of Crystal Palace 2nd replay on radio 2.

Probably first time I'd heard a live commentary for one of our games on radio.

Guest minsk owl

Yeah I remember it...we played in white shirts n blue shorts too I'm sure!!. Weird!! Roy Coyle got a screamer!!

Deffo played in White shirts, Blue shorts, .............. and Chelsea in some combination of Green, White, and Red

I think it took us 3 games to get past Palace. Is there footage available for all 3 games?

FA Cup Results

Rnd Date Opponents Result Attendance Scorers

3 Sat 13 Jan FULHAM.................. 2-0 21,028 Brian Joicey, Mick Prendergast

4 Sat 3 Feb CRYSTAL PALACE.......... 1-1 35,156 Tommy Craig

4R Tue 6 Feb Crystal Palace.......... 1-1 44,071 Dave Sunley

aet

4R2 Mon 19 Feb Crystal Palace.......... 3-2 19,151 Brian Joicey 3

at Villa Park aet

5 Sat 24 Feb CHELSEA................. 1-2 46,910 Roy Coyle

Brilliant video. I'm sure it was on YTV the following day but this is probably the first time I've seen the footage since.

was on the Kop that day.

By the way, didn't Brian Joicey later admit he didn't touch the ball for his hat-trick goal against Palace? Seem to recall he went up with the goalie for a high ball and it actually went in off the goalie's fist. Still, it's in the record books!

What a great night that was.

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

Guest Darth Sturrock

Yep. went to this one with my Grandad who has sadly passed away now. They were Division 1 and us Div. 2

I remember Chelsea playing in red shirts, white shorts, and green hooped socks, we were white shirts and blue shorts.

We played well for about 30 minutes and took the lead, but once Chelsea equalised, there was only going to be one winner, and the inevitable happened in the 2nd half, and I think it was Osgood who scored it...

A great atmosphere that day, shame we lost, but hey ho, we weren't good enough, against a solid Chelsea team.

I don't know why this sticks out in my mind, but when we were approaching the ground, we were asked where the nearest/best pub was for a drinkie, by a couple of Chelsea fans. (A married couple) My Grandad told them there was a bar in the ground, and they seemed really surprised..... I don't recall, but was it unusual back then for a football club to have a bar?