Sheffield Wed V Chelsea FA cup 1973!

Guest Charlton

I was there in the NW corner. It was great seeing Hillsborough packed for one of our games for a change!

Chelsea were really dirty and kicked us all over the park.

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

I was there in the NW corner. It was great seeing Hillsborough packed for one of our games for a change!

Chelsea were really dirty and kicked us all over the park.

I was on there 

Guest Hornsby
On 16/10/2015 at 11:00, waynecoyne14 said:

i remember being at stamford bridge fa cup we were 2-0 up i think and lost 3-2 mickey droy got 2

must have been 70's

Me too, as got battered after   match

Wylde got both ours , i recall

I was there that day as an 8 yr old in the West Stand over the Lep. Just remember a massive crowd and an amazing atmosphere. Great memories, great video footage.

Sat in almost the same spot for the BDM in 1979. What a day that was. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Bernard Shaw got the first,low drive from about 12 yards and Allan Thompson scored the second with a header.

Last 10 minutes was an absolute mare,seemed to last half an hour.

On 26/04/2021 at 13:43, Grimesthorpian said:

I was there with mi old dad. Still don’t know why Wednesday wore white shirts though.

Wednesday wore a 'Home Cup Kit' that season.

The white shirts and blue shorts were used in the home games against Fulham and Palace in the Cup run.

I think a 'Cup kit' was a regular thing in prior to '73, but this was the the last time as far as I know.

• Like 1

Only just seen this footage. Fantastic!! I was there as an 11 year old with my dad who drove the football special buses.       ( we missed the beginning & end of the match so he could work!) The commentary sounds so pre war!! I remember the Kits and seeing Chelsea in Red seemed very odd at the time. Wednesday wearing white although unusual wasn’t the first time as the 66 cup run had been in the white kit ??

On 08/05/2021 at 05:21, DB2002 said:

Wednesday wore a 'Home Cup Kit' that season.

The white shirts and blue shorts were used in the home games against Fulham and Palace in the Cup run.

I think a 'Cup kit' was a regular thing in prior to '73, but this was the the last time as far as I know.

1 hour ago, BrainJoicey said:

Only just seen this footage. Fantastic!! I was there as an 11 year old with my dad who drove the football special buses.       ( we missed the beginning & end of the match so he could work!) The commentary sounds so pre war!! I remember the Kits and seeing Chelsea in Red seemed very odd at the time. Wednesday wearing white although unusual wasn’t the first time as the 66 cup run had been in the white kit ??

For a few seasons, in the FA Cup, when there was a clash of kits, both sides had to change.

On 16/10/2015 at 04:26, Guest minsk owl said:

Was at that game, Chelsea on the kop,  Bill Garner scored the other one for them, .......... Holsgrove and Garner both sent off near the end. 

Garner was at it all bloody match, eventually Holsgrove got fed up and retaliated. It was my first experience of a packed Hillsborough and was in the NWC upper section - as always at that time. Was 13 going on 14 and absolutely loved it (although not the final score).

Chelsea were a right set of dirty twunts at the time and knew every nasty trick in the book.

On 07/05/2021 at 17:25, Guest Hornsby said:

I was there too..very dangerous when the Shed emptied and they all came on our end...i remember an absolute rocket of a goal at our end...wasn't it Bernard Shaw?

On 16/10/2015 at 07:55, Guest Charlton said:

I recently bought a house and have started fixing up the place.

Under the carpets I found loads of old newspaper including an old copy of the Sheffield Star.

There is a great photo of a packed North stand on a day when the crowd was 46,000 it states.

Apparently we lost the game and Osgood scored at least one of the Chelsea goals.

I was only eight at the time, so I was wondering if any of our fans attended that game and what division we would have been in at the time?

WAWAW

Hi 

It was my first ever Wednesday game

i sat in the west stand upper which was mainly Wednesday fans / season ticket holders

i was 11 at the time it was an amazing atmosphere 

chelsea fans packed lower leppings Ana few were on the kop as trouble broke out 
I was hooked on Wednesday and my dad got me a season ticket in the west stand upper for the flowing years.

osgood did score although Wednesday were winning .

at the end of the game our supporters  bus was parked at the end of leppings near the now  petrol station and I remember on the coach taking over an hour and half ti leave and also bottles were thrown and fighting on leppings lane / battles between fans for a while / quite scary too being young ..

yes 46 thousand there 

On 06/12/2022 at 21:11, Imre Varadi said:

I was there too..very dangerous when the Shed emptied and they all came on our end...i remember an absolute rocket of a goal at our end...wasn't it Bernard Shaw?

Yes, Bernard Shaw scored an absolute belter in front of the Wedneaday fans, but, in the last 20 minutes, Mickey Droy - who might have come on as a sub - scored with  a couple of

headers I think and,, somewhat unbelievably, we ended up losing 3-2.

We haven’t had a great record at Stamford Bridge over the years sadly, but we did win there 2-0 in the first leg of the Rumbelows  Cup semi final in 1991. As most people on here will tell you, that was the year we went on to beat Man U in the final 1-0 with John Sheridan being our match winner.

• Like 1