ANOTHER ticket price thread

Bottom line swfc made a monumental error with the pricing at the start of the season nobody can surely argue against that, had they had done the right and sensible thing they would not be in the position now where they are squirming and fighting for fans to come back and i'm not sure a cheap game every now and then will do the trick.

complete and utter rubbish

the prices are a disgrace, but

cat,s were there at the start of the season, allowing for flexibility in maximising receipts, the club will try to find the optimum price point for each game, no squirming, no fighting

Guest HATETUNALOVECHANSIRI

complete and utter rubbish

the prices are a disgrace, but

cat,s were there at the start of the season, allowing for flexibility in maximising receipts, the club will try to find the optimum price point for each game, no squirming, no fighting

Don't you think the commercial team at swfc saw the reaction of fans with regards to the prices against bristol city and have since said they will help with fans who cannot afford those prices and have also lowered prices to certain games? to me that's squirming and acknowledge a mistake was made

Average since we have been out of the prem is 21,802. Average this year at higher prices is 20,713.

1,100 have been missing. It is not that much.

One year we had just under 18k average was this due to prices to? NO

Was it due to fans probably getting fed up? YES

The 1,100 will be covered by the higher prices of other walkins easily. 

20713 is not a bad crowd. It is not the best but by far not the worst.

Price, for most, is an excuse.

Don't you think the commercial team at swfc saw the reaction of fans with regards to the prices against bristol city and have since said they will help with fans who cannot afford those prices and have also lowered prices to certain games? to me that's squirming and acknowledge a mistake was made

Maybe.

Or it was a PR stunt to put fans minds at ease.

The £39 will happen again this season so you cannot exactly say it was a mistake so they reduced the category. The categories are there so we have flexibility. 

Forget the congestion of fixtures for a moment. Brighton on a weekday would be a similar category regardless of congestion.

Guest HATETUNALOVECHANSIRI

Maybe.

Or it was a PR stunt to put fans minds at ease.

The £39 will happen again this season so you cannot exactly say it was a mistake so they reduced the category. The categories are there so we have flexibility. 

Forget the congestion of fixtures for a moment. Brighton on a weekday would be a similar category regardless of congestion.

Cmon even you don't think it could of been a PR stunt lol, anyway us rambling crap on here won't change anything guess it's a like it or lump situation

Guest Deleted member

Let's hope we get up there asap and the prize/income that the prem offers helps us all out

That's what really do need to happen

Hear hear 

well i've read some stupid theories on here over the years, but to applaud Kivo and Grandad for the lower prices, as though they had something to do with it is simply farcical

as every sane fan knows, the pricing in football is scandalous,

the club pricing policy was always going to be a suck it and see affair, hence the many different categories, had we averaged 5,000 more per game this year, do you think Kivo's moaning on here would have seen the cat's for Forest and Brighton as they are? Of course not, it's the fans voting with their feet that have driven the prices

will the resulting games have a significant crowd increase? I doubt it

the club are simply looking to see how much they can maximise income from the gate, Kivo and Grandad, or any other keyboard moaner, have nowt to do with it,

two posters from Owlstalk wont influence Chansiri, the tills ringing will

Ooooooh did I miss some applause.... *thats why I shouldn't skip to the end of a thread after 3 pages*

last seasons average was just under 22k. This seasons is just under 21k. We are missing 1,000 .

The lost 1000 from last year probably dont want to come and are running scared as they were enjoying watching paint dry than last years home games.

I cant remember the last time we averaged 24/25/26 that some people seem to remember. These mysterious 3-4k fans left because we were poo and they will come back when we are better but it will take more than 3 league wins and a win against newcastle to convince them.

Just like they came back when we played Wycombe and Hartlepool. Only when we were doing well and it meant something.

So those who mention prices are talking utter rubbish. Yes it does take time to convince fans to come back but after nearly 20 years of rubbish they are probably scared to come back regardless of price.

Derrrr

Average since we have been out of the prem is 21,802. Average this year at higher prices is 20,713.

1,100 have been missing. It is not that much.

One year we had just under 18k average was this due to prices to? NO

Was it due to fans probably getting fed up? YES

The 1,100 will be covered by the higher prices of other walkins easily. 

20713 is not a bad crowd. It is not the best but by far not the worst.

Price, for most, is an excuse.

Pretty much copied and pasted because I can't be bothered to do it again.

Personally, I think the attendances have dropped well below where we would have been if the ticket prices had for instance stayed the same.  I have no proof of this. However, I think my assumptions have far more basis than your comparison with one season.

I think Bristol City would have easily brought 4,000+ for the first match of the season after a few years out of the Championship.  With the new found optimism amongst our fan base I would have expected at least 28,000 for that match.

I think most fans would agree that optimism amongst the fan base is the highest it has been since we were relegated from the PL.  Yet our average is 2.5% down on last season.  It is 13.6% down on 2012/13 season and even lower than our last season in League One.

In fact you have to go back to 2002/03 to find a lower Wednesday average in The Championship.  We even averaged higher than we are this season in three of our four seasons in League One.

Now in response to this, I would expect people to make two points:-

1. It is early in the season.  That is true, however the first match is usually one of the best gates of the season and the huge pre-season optimism should surely have seen gates at the start at least indicative of what we can expect going forwards.

2. We might be making more money.  This is the great unknown.  With optimism so high, I would expect us to average 24,000+.  That is being conservative since we have twice achieved this since relegation from the PL when fans were less optimistic.  When calculating the money made people need to remember that approximately 14,000 fans are season tickets (the vast majority early bird) therefore if we should be getting 24,000 and we are actually getting 20,000 we have 6,000 walk up instead of 10,000.  Therefore that walk up need to pay 67% more than they would have in previous seasons to get the same income.  I don't think our average ticket price has been 67% higher than last season has it? (not sure genuine question).

Therefore, in general, my gut feeling is that we are not maximising what our revenue should have been for this season.

All of that takes away from the massive missed opportunity of re-engaging with fans that have not been going regularly for many years.  The long term plan surely has to be to get Hillsborough full not milk 20,000 fans for as much as we can.  Corporate and sponsorship (plus obviously the Sky money) is where the real cash is.  Selling corporate and sponsorship packages is a lot easier when there are 30,000 fans in Hillsborough than when there is 20,000.

this is notwithstanding that all of the above is pretty irrelevant.  Even if the increased prices generate an extra £1m in revenue it is so insignificant that it cannot be the main driver or objective for a Sheffield Wednesday owner.

Poor decisions have been made in my opinion and they need to be learned from.

Pretty much copied and pasted because I can't be bothered to do it again.

Personally, I think the attendances have dropped well below where we would have been if the ticket prices had for instance stayed the same.  I have no proof of this. However, I think my assumptions have far more basis than your comparison with one season.

I think Bristol City would have easily brought 4,000+ for the first match of the season after a few years out of the Championship.  With the new found optimism amongst our fan base I would have expected at least 28,000 for that match.

I think most fans would agree that optimism amongst the fan base is the highest it has been since we were relegated from the PL.  Yet our average is 2.5% down on last season.  It is 13.6% down on 2012/13 season and even lower than our last season in League One.

In fact you have to go back to 2002/03 to find a lower Wednesday average in The Championship.  We even averaged higher than we are this season in three of our four seasons in League One.

Now in response to this, I would expect people to make two points:-

1. It is early in the season.  That is true, however the first match is usually one of the best gates of the season and the huge pre-season optimism should surely have seen gates at the start at least indicative of what we can expect going forwards.

2. We might be making more money.  This is the great unknown.  With optimism so high, I would expect us to average 24,000+.  That is being conservative since we have twice achieved this since relegation from the PL when fans were less optimistic.  When calculating the money made people need to remember that approximately 14,000 fans are season tickets (the vast majority early bird) therefore if we should be getting 24,000 and we are actually getting 20,000 we have 6,000 walk up instead of 10,000.  Therefore that walk up need to pay 67% more than they would have in previous seasons to get the same income.  I don't think our average ticket price has been 67% higher than last season has it? (not sure genuine question).

Therefore, in general, my gut feeling is that we are not maximising what our revenue should have been for this season.

All of that takes away from the massive missed opportunity of re-engaging with fans that have not been going regularly for many years.  The long term plan surely has to be to get Hillsborough full not milk 20,000 fans for as much as we can.  Corporate and sponsorship (plus obviously the Sky money) is where the real cash is.  Selling corporate and sponsorship packages is a lot easier when there are 30,000 fans in Hillsborough than when there is 20,000.

this is notwithstanding that all of the above is pretty irrelevant.  Even if the increased prices generate an extra £1m in revenue it is so insignificant that it cannot be the main driver or objective for a Sheffield Wednesday owner.

Poor decisions have been made in my opinion and they need to be learned from.

Spot on. Who knows what the feel good factor and optimism could have brought to attendances if we hadn't immediately negated it with the ridiculous prices.

Hopefully lesson learned now, and onwards and upwards.

Still have people complaining after these ticket price releases! Unbelieveable.

Im sure we will see everyone that has complained at the brighton match then? Obviously we will not because there is always another excuse.

Midweek? 3 home games? Nuhui? Sky TV is too much, I had to buy it for the 3 televised games? Im working? Dont want to sit on the KOP? My cats gone missing?

Same old rubbish from the same old people. Chansiri has now made these two games cheaper than last year and if we dont see a significant crowd increase he will put them back to older prices where we are still averaging around 20k and making more money. Business decision and whether it fleeces the fans or not he does not really care as long as it increases revenue. Business is business no time for sentiment and all that.

This isn't a normal business it's a football club. If it was a normal business I would have stopped going in about 1997. They have a battle to win back the fans. Let's hope they have the wherewithal to win it.

of course they saw the reaction, as in the gates being smallish, they certainly didn't take notice of kivo and such dissenters on here, as claimed earlier in this thread, if you think using the cat's published before the seasons start, is squirming, and a climb down, well you carry on old boy, this is exactly why they were there  simple water testing, no more, no less

by the time may comes round, we will have paid an increase of between 15 and 25 percent, depending on how you paid for your admission, that was the plan from the start, but now, you think it was the fans idea

low stage 1 season ticket rates, followed by unrealistic stage 3s and pay on the day prices, classic divide and conquer, the club is being run by very astute business men, not del boy and rodney