Liam palmer

"Made a mistake, dropped clanger for the 3rd goal. Also his attempted block was the difference between winning and losing"

I would have thought the difference between winning and losing would have been the fact that Burnley had 12 shots, of which 6 were on target leading to 3 goals, where as we had13 shots , of which 2 were on target leading to 1 goal.

Cannot believe you have gone to the extent of taking a photograph to try and defend palmers shitness.

But yes, I take your point! However the goal scorer is still Palmers man.

So rather than do his best to cover the most dangerous man in the middle, he should just let them score so he doesn't personally get blamed for "his man" scoring.

I'd sure love to play in a TEAM with you.

By the way, normally in this type of situation, you would hope a defensive midfielder would be dropping in to cover the centre back, or the right winger would be back to cover Palmer's man.

We had neither, which I would put down to being too attacking in going for the win, rather than keeping our balance, preserving the point, and playing more on the break to try and nick the 3 points. The blame there lies with the Manager/Captain.

Edited by nebneeb

I've been saying for a fair while that if Palmer wasn't a local lad that had come through our academy, the majority of our fans would actually see him for what he is, a League One standard right-back.

Shipping Vermijl out on loan was a mistake IMO, it should have been our weakest full-back, which is Palmer.

I could not disagree more .. Vermilj deserved to be shipped out on loan with some of the most spineless performances i've seen when he's played. i dont htink i've seen him have a better then good game. he's been distinctly average since signing.

Palmer has had a good few seasons after adopting a right back position. he's been far from garbage as some have stated

he's had a bad game - he'll recover, and many will be waxing lyrical when he has a good game

lets not scapegoat him hey

Hard to imagine looking at the photo above how anyone could think Palmer should've been on the lad behind him given that they had a centre forward completely unmarked in the middle.

In fact, I'd say, as daft as it sounds, that their lad on the ball chose the wrong option by crossing to the back stick as the better and simpler pass would've been to that unmarked forward in the middle. Of course, they scored anyway, but you'd expect more often than not the pass inside would be more likely to end in a goal.

As for the third, Palmer's culpability is obvious - but even so, it was a charged down clearance which really could've gone anywhere. It's very sloppy of Palmer, but he's a tad unlucky that the punishment was as effective as it was.

If we are to isolate one individual for each goal we conceded on Saturday, I'd say it's fairly clear; Hutchinson for the first, Loovens for the second, and Palmer for the third - and Loovens' mistake was perhaps the most costly as it seemed to knock the stuffing out of us. Loovens had a good game otherwise too.

Hunt was not so impressive against Boro, by the way, (something which seems to have been forgotten by those making out that Hunt should be an obvious starter) and can't be entirely absolved of blame for one of their goals.

I am not talking about isolated incidents though, I am talking about all the way through the match - Palmer was garbage and contributed nothing, Hutchinson is just that kind of player but at least looks to attack and Loovens, well was he not the captain I doubt he would be playing.

Palmer closes the man on his left...the one on the right is free....Palmer closes the man on the right ,the one on the left is free...Devil and deep blue sea lookin' at the photo...

TBH it was shyte play from Lovvens originally that created the mess that followed

But believe me, Palmer has no option in that situation he MUST close down the player in the centre - which is what he went to do

yes, it means that Taylor (?) was going to be left unmarked but every single manager or coach would have Palmer cover the immediate danger - which was the guy in the centre

Palmer did the right thing - 100%

Pamer does have to come across an pick up the most dangerous player. This also gives the keeper and opportunity to cut out a cross if it goes to the back post and it isn't perfect. I've been critical of his positioning and decision making in the past but it's definately the correct decision to leave his man and cut out any im misdials danger, especially with the keeper being able to sweep up behind.

The problem I have with the goal is that he completely bottles the challenge and he might have prevented a goal. Minimum he needs to do is try and out the attacker off. The 3rd is a shambles and I find it a bit embarrassing those making excuses like it was lucky it fell into his path after her charged it down. It's still an error. He made loads last season and Westwood consistently bailed him out. I said that at the time last seaosn but it was all ok as long as goals weren't being conceded. Well now the same old mistakes are happening and the result is conceding more.