The reason Hooper didn't sign...

It's clear Wednesday haven't done anything wrong. Seems Norwich accepted our terms, and were happy for Hooper to leave. That leaves Hooper and his agent.

Who had the issue with the box? Hooper or Wednesday, or Norwich?

He's another Bothroyd. Lucky escape. If we've got a happy dressing room at S6, let's keep it that way.

"Why's he got a box and not me?" etc

No prima donnas please.

(bear in mind that this is all pure speculation).

my argument earlier was that perhaps Norwich had agreed to give him a box as a part of his salary package. In lieu of extra wages.

We have agreed a fee and to cover his base wages. Great. Wednesday happy, Norwich happy.

Hooper comes to S6 and says I'm good with coming here.

Looks over deal and him (or his agent) realise that nobody is covering the cost of the box at Norwich which was a part of his package and he woudl argue, can no longer use. We're not going to pay any more (and nor should we) as we have an agreement including a loan fee. Hooper wants the terms of his contract honored. Who knows if Norwich have said you can keep your box at Carrow Rd, and he's said no. 

Either way, SWFC have done nothing wrong, and as I also said above it reeks of cutting off one's nose to spite your face. He will be sitting on the bench (or not even in matchday squad) and they will have to cover all of his wages and miss out on the agreed loan fee.

Bizarre doesn't begin to cover it.

Guest Deleted member

Boo hoo for lee hendry if you go bankrupt on his wage you've only got yourself to blame. Not the tax man and bigger bills.

Thing is with footballers is they get lots of money from a very young age, and never really have to learn to manage their money until their career is over.

Bad advisors can help a player to spend lots of their earnings unwisely, and their peer group don't help

As I see it. When Nixon links us with players who we want to sign, he's a respectable journo and there's not a bad word said about him. When he dismisses certain players or comes out with stories like this he's a idiot, unreliable etc.

Edited by coreyswfc

Thing is with footballers is they get lots of money from a very young age, and never really have to learn to manage their money until their career is over.

Bad advisors can help a player to spend lots of their earnings unwisely, and their peer group don't help

It is shameful the number of professional athletes that are bankrupt soon after finishing their careers. Shouldn't be possible but as you say there are plenty of people out there willing to show them how to spend it.

As I see it. When Nixon links us with players who we want to sign, he's a respectable journo and there's not a bad word said about him. When he dismisses certain players or comes out with stories like this he's a idiot, unreliable etc.

Welcome to BI-POLAR WORLD!!!

...please keep your hands inside the carriage at all times.

Guest Deleted member

To get him games rather than be sat on his ar5e? Get his career going again?

He's in the final year of a £5m contract, probably the biggest he will sign

Is say it's important to make sure that every bit of that contact us honored before moving on at the end, probably with a big signing on fee, probably in January.

I think he will do OK without'kick starting' his career just now

Nobody has ever told me to not spend what I haven't got. It's just common sense I've learned that myself. If I want something or need something I save up. I don't know what lee hendry earned but I'm guessing as a premiership footballer for many years he was on at least 20k a week. What on earth do you even spend 10k (after tax) a week on. No bills are that big. I don't feel sorry for him going bankrupt one bit.

Guest Deleted member

Nobody has ever told me to not spend what I haven't got. It's just common sense I've learned that myself. If I want something or need something I save up. I don't know what lee hendry earned but I'm guessing as a premiership footballer for many years he was on at least 20k a week. What on earth do you even spend 10k (after tax) a week on. No bills are that big. I don't feel sorry for him going bankrupt one bit.

Ok

Depends on your life-style.

You would be surprised.

There are any number of hi end luxuries that cost waaaay more than you might expect. A professional footballer must be seen to live like a professional footballer (if they believe the hype). Not to mention speculative investments going t!tz up. I wonder how much was flushed in 2008/09.

edit - I am in no way judging them. I don't think that I would have known any better at that stage in my life had I been given huge wads of cash.

Edited by themaskedowl

You would be surprised.

There are any number of hi end luxuries that cost waaaay more than you might expect. A professional footballer must be seen to live like a professional footballer (if they believe the hype). Not to mention speculative investments going t!tz up. I wonder how much was flushed in 2008/09.

They are exactly that - luxuries, not necessities. Like I said you don't buy what you can't afford. Doesn't matter how much or how little you earn if you can't afford it you can't afford it. I can't believe people actually try and justify how easy it is for professional footballers to go bankrupt. Some people live on 10k a year for Christ sake

They are exactly that - luxuries, not necessities. Like I said you don't buy what you can't afford. Doesn't matter how much or how little you earn if you can't afford it you can't afford it. I can't believe people actually try and justify how easy it is for professional footballers to go bankrupt. Some people live on 10k a year for Christ sake

Have another read of my post.

edit - and you might be shocked to learn how little I earn in a year yet still have a decent life.

Edited by themaskedowl

Have another read of my post.

edit - and you might be shocked to learn how little I earn in a year yet still have a decent life.

There's a hell of a lot more that don't go bankrupt. Like I say you have to be a moron to squander his wage.

I'm not surprised by that at all mate as I'm probably in a very similar boat to you I should imagine

He is the type of person,  that no matter what he was paid, he will live above it.

If he was paid £5k a week, he would spend like he was on £10k a week.

If he was paid £50k a week, he would spend like he was on £60k a week.

Billy big bollux knob who didn't want to keep up with the Joneses, he wanted to be better than them.

If Hooper's holding out for a better opportunity in January then that's entirely his choice.

We'd then be looking at a player who hasn't had any game time in 6 months and screaming at them for not being up to speed - I'd move on to someone else.

Whether we've got the cash or not, we should still be bringing players in who actually want to be here and not having any question marks over it.