£17 to take baby to Owls game ?

The amount of 'victim blaming' and 'holier than thou' going on in this thread is sickening.

People leaping to the defence of the club no matter what is all good and well, but sometimes the club does make mistakes, as does everyone. And, to be fair, most of the time the club tries to correct mistakes where possible. Then fans having a go at other fans for taking their kids to a football match (where it is advertised that fans can take these young kids?! "We're all Wednesday aren't we?" - apparently not.

To blame the fans for highlighting a potential issue is just not cricket (or football). They felt there was an issue and said so. Fair enough.

The fact is that, when you look anywhere the prices are published it says that a child 0 - 10 for a category B match has to pay £17. There is NO mention of these special 'arrangements' that can 'apparently' be done, but according to some here everyone should have some crazy clairvoyancey foresight to know that a commercial entity will change the prices on a whim if you just phone them up. Its not what 99.9% of people would do - they would look at the published prices and go "well, thats expensive for a small child" and leave it at that. Would you think to phone up a supermarket and ask them to reduce the price of bread because you think the advertised and published costs too much?

And if they can waive the published price for one sub-section of fans because they go to the lengths of phoning up, why not for others? Is it fair that someone who didn't think of phoning up has to pay £17 because they didn't think of phoning to question the advertised and published price has to pay more than someone who knows of this secret under-the-counter trick 'loophole'.

Its a ridiculous policy all round - or at the very least its a poorly communicated policy. 

It will be interesting to see what is submitted by the club when the BBC gets around to doing its annual 'Price of Football' index in October and how we rank in that all round.

The point is they highlighted a potential issue and then took it to the local rag who made it front page news

The story would have been if they had contacted the club and they had told them to do one

Why should the club publicise something that would rarely arise when folk were already moaning about the apparent huge number of complications

I for one am disgusted that there is no price set for black one armed lesbian mothers over the age of 45

Guest Deleted member

Same situation for me (and presumably many others) during the week. Barely get to see my 4 year old. Gone before she wakes up. Back as she goes to bed - if I'm lucky with the commute.

Still wouldn't take her to any type of sporting event at the weekend though. Me focused on a match, is me not focused on her.

Far prefer family time to involve playing the games she wants to play. Either at home or at a park. Or maybe going for a meal where we can focus on each other rather than 22 people running around a pitch.

As she gets older that will change, but for now quality family time involves hide and seek, dolls, princesses, and mermaids. Not a restless 4 year old at a game.

For me - I couldn't justify even more time without the kids - 25% of the weekend - a full Saturday afternoon.  For me that would have been worse parenting than taking the kids.

And not going to the match at all wasn't ever an option

Guest Deleted member

The amount of 'victim blaming' and 'holier than thou' going on in this thread is sickening.

People leaping to the defence of the club no matter what is all good and well, but sometimes the club does make mistakes, as does everyone. And, to be fair, most of the time the club tries to correct mistakes where possible. Then fans having a go at other fans for taking their kids to a football match (where it is advertised that fans can take these young kids?! "We're all Wednesday aren't we?" - apparently not.

To blame the fans for highlighting a potential issue is just not cricket (or football). They felt there was an issue and said so. Fair enough.

The fact is that, when you look anywhere the prices are published it says that a child 0 - 10 for a category B match has to pay £17. There is NO mention of these special 'arrangements' that can 'apparently' be done, but according to some here everyone should have some crazy clairvoyancey foresight to know that a commercial entity will change the prices on a whim if you just phone them up. Its not what 99.9% of people would do - they would look at the published prices and go "well, thats expensive for a small child" and leave it at that. Would you think to phone up a supermarket and ask them to reduce the price of bread because you think the advertised and published costs too much?

And if they can waive the published price for one sub-section of fans because they go to the lengths of phoning up, why not for others? Is it fair that someone who didn't think of phoning up has to pay £17 because they didn't think of phoning to question the advertised and published price has to pay more than someone who knows of this secret under-the-counter trick 'loophole'.

Its a ridiculous policy all round - or at the very least its a poorly communicated policy. 

It will be interesting to see what is submitted by the club when the BBC gets around to doing its annual 'Price of Football' index in October and how we rank in that all round.

Absolutely bang on

Guest Deleted member

You clearly haven't read this thread.

Or ignored all of the posts (of which there are very very many) where people have been having a go about kids going to the match

The point is they highlighted a potential issue and then took it to the local rag who made it front page news

The story would have been if they had contacted the club and they had told them to do one

Why should the club publicise something that would rarely arise when folk were already moaning about the apparent huge number of complications

I for one am disgusted that there is no price set for black one armed lesbian mothers over the age of 45

No. It IS an issue, not a potential issue. How were they supposed to know there is some secret handshake policy of getting tickets for a different price than published and advertised everywhere? Do you contact Tesco directly each time you are shopping and don't agree with the price on the shelf?

It is a valid story for The Star to run. It is a valid complaint to have.

By the way, there is a price set for black one armed lesbian mothers over the age of 45. It is categorised at 'Adult'. Just like 0-10 tickets ('Under 11s) are published to the Football League (as is required at the start of each season) and advertised as £17 for a category B match.

Deejayone your perception is distorted. No one having a go at kids being taken to the match. It's Kids being taken to York Street seeking self publicity that has a negative impact on the club I have an issue with.

This could have been sorted without any aggravation or press involvement !  

You're reading a different thread then? There's plenty of people having a go about taking kids to the match.

As above: How were they supposed to know there is some secret handshake policy of getting tickets for a different price than published and advertised?

Playing devil's advocate here too: Do we know they 'ran to York Street' or are 'seeking self publicity'? Thats just hyperbolic for the sake of painting a fellow Wednesday fan in a bad light. They are publicising themselves (what, exactly, would they be publicising FFS?), they are publicising a valid complaint and issue.

Plus, journalism works strangely nowadays and I would hazard a guess that, as most stories tend to originate in these times, the people involved posted on social media, a Star reporter trawling through updates saw it and the story came from there rather than any 'self publicity'.

Not taking kids to the match - it is taking babies to the match that many people (me included) don't agree with.

What's the problem then?

I respect people who say they wouldn't take their baby to a game but haven't got an issue with other people taking theirs.

What I don't understand or respect is the uproar about taking babies to games as if the parents are doing wrong.

It should be down to the parent who knows their child best.

And I'm yet to see a legitimate reason why it's so wrong to take a baby to a game.

A football ground, particularly Hillsborough because it is so old fashioned and open to the elements is a terrible place to bring a baby.

It is cold, dark, smelly, occasionally noisy, shouty, sweary and trumpy.

You may as well stand outside Yates's on a Saturday Night - at least you'd only have a few minutes walk to McDonalds to change it's nappy....

Football grounds are no place for babies. Toddlers and young kids yes as long as they are old enough to understand.

Grandstand family area is pushing it for me. It is not about the parent wanting to take the baby since he/she was born. 

2 reasons:

1) If there happened to be violence after a game then it puts the baby at direct risk.

2) Babies are unpredictable and can cry/ scream and annoy other fans. Its not fair. Other fans have spent a lot of hard earned money to go and do not want the risk of a baby crying all game because the parent decided it was a good idea to take them to Hillsborough to freeze and bore their baby to death. They will not understand what it is and what is happening. 

A football ground, particularly Hillsborough because it is so old fashioned and open to the elements is a terrible place to bring a baby.

It is cold, dark, smelly, occasionally noisy, shouty, sweary and trumpy.

You may as well stand outside Yates's on a Saturday Night - at least you'd only have a few minutes walk to McDonalds to change it's nappy....

lol

It was august, it was a warm day, it didn't smell, it wasn't dark.

All the above elements you can get from going to a park, do you take your kids to the park?

Or are they wrapped up in cotton wool all their up bringing?

Football grounds are no place for babies. Toddlers and young kids yes as long as they are old enough to understand.

Grandstand family area is pushing it for me. It is not about the parent wanting to take the baby since he/she was born. 

2 reasons:

1) If there happened to be violence after a game then it puts the baby at direct risk.

2) Babies are unpredictable and can cry/ scream and annoy other fans. Its not fair. Other fans have spent a lot of hard earned money to go and do not want the risk of a baby crying all game because the parent decided it was a good idea to take them to Hillsborough to freeze and bore their baby to death. They will not understand what it is and what is happening. 

Yep, totally agree, I rushed back from Manchester to get to the Bristol City match, if there was a baby screaming and shouting next too me I'd have been well peed off, sorry, leave the babies at home with their mummies or non footballing daddies innit?

2 reasons:

1. Violence can happen anywhere.

2. I have to sit and listen to people talk absolute boll0cks about Nuhiu so a bit of crying is no different. I'm sure any parent, if the kid was screaming for a long period, would remove themselves from the stand. And it's not always freezing is it. It's like saying you'd never take a baby outside in Britain.

Yep, totally agree, I rushed back from Manchester to get to the Bristol City match, if there was a baby screaming and shouting next too me I'd have been well peed off, sorry, leave the babies at home with their mummies or non footballing daddies innit?

What about regular fans who make even more noise?