£17 to take baby to Owls game ?

Just read an article on News Now (Sheffield Star & Yorks Post) reporting that a couple  reported that

they had to pay £17 pounds to take their baby into Hillsborough for the BC game.

Absolutely disgusting,  or is it.

Reading past the sensational headline and the first few lines of the story we learn that they didn't,

in fact pay anything at all but used an unrequired season ticket for the match.

Furthermore after the newspaper contacted the club a spokesman urged all supporters intending

to take a baby to the game to contact the ticket office in advance so that 'arrangements can be facilitated'

which presumably means the charge will be waived or at least greatly reduced.

Another case of attention grabbers wanting their picture in the paper ?

Pathetic complaint really. £17 is the price for children but I'm sure the club would make arrangements.

Furthermore, who on earth takes a 7 month old to a football match? I get the sentiment behind it I suppose. 'My lad/daughter went to his/her first game before they could even speak...wednesday's in the blood etc'. But the practicality behind it is non-existent. 

For children I suppose it's up to the parent, children develop at different rates and can hold concentration for different lengths. But babies are a whole new ball game. I have a 7 month old nephew, bought him the full Wednesday kit & sing him Wednesday songs much to the dislike of his Man Utd supporting Dad. Wouldn't dream of taking him to a game though, not even a friendly like St Mirren. He's only just sitting up but wouldn't dream of buying him a separate seat...and no way would he stay there...or on my knee. He'd just scream, whether that be a happy scream or a moaning/tired scream. 

Adding this to a list of ridiculous complaints from fans this season. 

Edited by FlyingOwl

Guest Deleted member

Regardless of the story - can you tell me more about this?

who on earth takes a 7 month old to a football match?

the practicality behind it is non-existent. 

Why would any parent want to take a baby anyway? Purely selfish imho 

I wouldnt take a baby to a game anyway to be honest. Not really much point is there?

They do right taking thier children, it should be free up to 5yrs

So you think it's 'doing right' taking a 7 month old to a game?

Whether it should be free up to a certain age is neither here nor there. I'm sure the club would have accommodated the parents and their baby if they actually asked to instead of looking at the ticket prices as face value. When doing the ticket categories I'm sure the question of 'what about babies who can barely sit up...let alone anything else' didn't come up.

It's not like when the players bring their babies and the mother of the baby sits in a corporate box and can take the baby inside if it's too cold/too loud or the baby is fussing.

Once inside you're pretty much stuck unless you leave entirely. 

Maybe they could be placed on that netting during the match. Makeshift creche!

edit. the netting over the seats. not the goal nets. lol

Edited by mrgund

swfc ticket office tweeted today that it's £5 for under 17's v reading

good timing, ridiculous negative tweet by the star

imo kids shouldn't go to footy until they're at least 4

I think all kids are different.

But I do think parents should wait until they are sure their child can manage.

Nothing worse than when parents take their kids to games and they just moan for the full match.

Need to be sure and reiterate in the days leading up to the match that the game will last a certain amount of time & bring stuff to keep them occupied if bored.

I didn't go to my first match till I was six or seven, but could have gone earlier..just didn't have the opportunity.

Both my brothers were 4 though. First season tickets at 7.