Johnny Foreigner vs Proven Championship players!

fair comments, Not Tom. I'm sure many would take the successful option, myself included given where we have been the past 20 years or so.

From an idealistic perspective though, I would like to see more local lads come through the ranks and become integral members of the first team. IMHO I would like Palmer to stay and hopefully the likes of Stobbs, Dawson and George Hirst make it through one day into the first team.

Yes I would definitely like to think we could generate players good enough for that level, I like Palmer and Stobbs looks really promising. And how great would it be to have another Hirsty on our hands eh!

We tend to embrace whatever colours are nailed to our mast. CC, I think will perhaps steer us in the direction of, a squad with a healthy quota of technically gifted overseas stars, and if it's successful, we will lap it up, saying, this is the way forward. Equally we could have had a coach who decided to buy the best young British talent, from the lower leagues, and again we would be championing this as the way ahead.

depends on the mental attitude for me if they are better players and give 100% is all you can ask for foreign players seem more technically gifted than our home grown ones, championship standard is all well and good ,but if a footballer can play he should be able to cope with it ,, we have done the tried and tested and it never seems to work for us  but this is a new strategy from a new coach maybe the two will blend and give us something to be proud of ,

Edited by trevdi9

Also it's debatable with Champ players whether the ones at the higher end of the price bracket are actually worth the money and can make the difference.

Everyone bangs on about Rhodes and Marshall but where did Blackburn finish last season - nowhere really. Ince at Derby etc - they faded badly as McLaren messed up the balance of the team.

At the end of the day, it's the right blend and set up and having all Champ players is no guarentee - there maybe other players out there that give us the right mix and they could well come from abroad rather than over here.

Take Spurs as a case in point.  A few years back they had Adebayor and Soldado as their front men, ended up turning them into a bit of a failure upfront, despite their relative success at both Premiership level and and in Spain where Soldado was banging them in.  Then along comes Harry Kane, local lad, starts scoring for fun then becomes an integral part of their squad and local hero.  

Also it's debatable with Champ players whether the ones at the higher end of the price bracket are actually worth the money and can make the difference.

Everyone bangs on about Rhodes and Marshall but where did Blackburn finish last season - nowhere really. Ince at Derby etc - they faded badly as McLaren messed up the balance of the team.

At the end of the day, it's the right blend and set up and having all Champ players is no guarentee - there maybe other players out there that give us the right mix and they could well come from abroad rather than over here.

yep probably a blend of the two would be the best way forward imo.  

As much as I would like us to bring in some randon Brazilian who will set the league alight, I would also love one of our local lads to make the step up and bang them in like there was no tomorrow. 

We seemed to have a policy where we looked to be bringing in players for the here and now, but at the same time, looking at young British players who we could bring on. Players like Wallace, Dempsey and Toney, spring to mind, and the lad from Scunthorpe, whose name I forget. The first three have subsequently joined Wolves, Huddersfield and Newcastle, and I don't know what's happened to our interest in the Scunthorpe lad. None of our current signings fall into this category, so I wonder if there has been some behind the scenes shift in emphasis, or they were just to expensive for players who would not be starting for us

We seemed to have a policy where we looked to be bringing in players for the here and now, but at the same time, looking at young British players who we could bring on. Players like Wallace, Dempsey and Toney, spring to mind, and the lad from Scunthorpe, whose name I forget. The first three have subsequently joined Wolves, Huddersfield and Newcastle, and I don't know what's happened to our interest in the Scunthorpe lad. None of our current signings fall into this category, so I wonder if there has been some behind the scenes shift in emphasis, or they were just to expensive for players who would not be starting for us

Yep I agree in some parts.  Relying on solely British players could also be a dangerous game in terms of the amount of money we would have to shell out.  

Forest last season sold 2 of their most promising English players to Newcastle for 7 million, bit steep and a huge gamble considering what they could have bought for that overseas.

Worked for Watford.

But their main man and hugely talismanic figure was Troy Deeney

Also highly influential through the season were players like Watson, Connolly, Anya, Hoban - even Doyley who is a huge character

Undoubtedly they married the best of both - but it has to be said their foreign players were very high quality

There is still a home grown quota to consider - which is why I suspect we went for a HG bench keeper

The key is the quality and integration - I do think we probably do need a player or two to keep everything in line

I actually think the captains role could be very crucial this season

There is no magic formula.

What works for some might not for others.

Such as having money works for some teams but doesn't for quite a few others.

Some teams rely on foreigners or loanees to help them get up, whilst others rely on experience or proven players at this level or some rely on young lower league gem's or a mixture.

We just gotta find the right blend and balance. Some players will have to cost, whilst we can still search for bargains and bring in key loanees, even with a bigger budget.

Last season our main strength was our goalkeeping department and mean defensive side of the team. Westwood and Lees were superb signings.

If we can blend them in with better attacking qualities, and the right mix of foreign, youth, experience and proven, bargain and costly, then we might have a decent shout over the next couple of seasons. The signings so far have been a good mixture for this level, some British, some foreign, some proven, some experienced, etc 

Things are moving in the right way on and off the field, and we'll only know how well we've done in the market and how well we will do once the season is under away but it's hard to not be carried away and hugely excited over the future. Personally speaking, I'm the most excited now about Wednesday than I have been since we were a top flight side.

We just gotta find the right blend and balance. Some players will have to cost, whilst we can still search for bargains and bring in key loanees, even with a bigger budget.

Last season our main strength was our goalkeeping department and mean defensive side of the team. Westwood and Lees were superb signings.

Agreed 

If we can blend them in with better attacking qualities, and the right mix of foreign, youth, experience and proven, bargain and costly, then we might have a decent shout over the next couple of seasons

Spot on

Personally speaking, I'm the most excited now about Wednesday than I have been since we were a top flight side.

Good to hear

Just got to make sure there's a balance like everyone has said. They'll be times next season where we will need that bit of foreign flare to break down teams with tough defences. There will also be times when we're losing 1-0 at tough places and That's where we'll need the big characters in the dressing room to rally the team together. That's where having experience in the championship can help because usually, that's where promotion winning teams stand out. They find points from seemingly impossible situations.

Lewis price,

Jack Hunt,

Ross Wallace.

Errrm just under half hour signings have played her.

As well as CC making clear he'd like this type of player but sometimes the market is to expensive.

Cristiano Ronaldo came from a Portuguese team.

Bloody foreigners.

We might as well get used to it, if we ever want to be able to do anything in the top league again then we're going to need a lot of foreign talent.

I doubt even the England national team would challenge at the top of the Prem.