Johnny Foreigner vs Proven Championship players!

Been thinking about this and after reading a lot of the comments on here, you would think the only players we are after are foreigners.   

So what is the best way forward to get out of this league, go after proven Championship players who will no doubt command a higher/ridiculous transfer fee or should we look abroad for some decent quality albeit relatively unknown players to us who have been a success at their respective clubs?

Judging by the 7 players we have brought in already, 4 have been foreign, these being Lachman, Sasso, Matias and Lopez.  The other 3 being relatively known British players in Hunt who is from Yorkshire, Price being Welsh and Wallace Scottish.  the 3 British players we have recruited have obvious previous experience at Championship and league 1 level.  

So my question to you, what's the best way forward in terms of recruitment?  Should we solely look at players who have played in the Championship before, or look solely at the foreign market where the price will most likely be in our favour? Or do we look at a combination of the two?

Over to you, what are fellow fans thoughts on this?

people say we need both. 

But when you think just about all of the original squad already have championship experience going into the new season it really wouldnt be a biggy if the majority of the signings are from abroad, though Hunt/Wallace & Price prove we are looking in both markets.

Lots of people want proven championship players but then complain at whoever we are linked to. I have no problem with players from abroad, they might not be 'championship proven' but being proven in the Portuguese or Spanish premier leagues isn't exactly and easy accolade to earn

We've had proven Championship players before such as Bothroyd, Jeffers, Taylor, Purse & JOC. Where did we get with the likes of them? Just because they are proven doesn't mean they will fit in the system we will be playing.

Lots of people want proven championship players but then complain at whoever we are linked to. I have no problem with players from abroad, they might not be 'championship proven' but being proven in the Portuguese or Spanish premier leagues isn't exactly and easy accolade to earn

Good point.  

Getting in unknown foreigners, will most likely be known in their respective leagues that's for sure.  Its seems though judging by a lot of the comments on here, many would prefer known proven(debatable) Championship players. 

It's all about getting the right blend in the squad.

Whilst it's exciting to be bringing in some relatively unknown foreign players, and there are definitely bargains to be had shopping in that market, we'll also need some proven Championship performers who have been there and done it if we want to succeed.

Take our recent wing recruits, for example: I'm salivating at the thought of what Matias could bring to the table, but a player like Wallace, who has achieved promotion from this division and has played over 200 games at this level, could end up being just as important, if not more so in the short-term. His know-how should allow the newcomers to settle in and learn the ropes more quickly.

With the likes of Westwood, Loovens, Lees, Semedo, Lee, Nuhiu and now Wallace, we have a fair bit of Championship experience around which to build. If we're able to afford a higher quality of player from abroad, then I'd have no worries that we have enough nous in the squad to allow them to flourish.

The only area where I'd still like to see a proven performer brought in if possible would be upfront, but it all depends on who's available - if our budget will stretch further shopping abroad, then so be it.

This is it for me, this exactly

So for example, you would be happy with a foreign owner, foreign coach/manager and all foreign players?  

Don't think many would want us to completely head in that direction?  

So for example, you would be happy with a foreign owner, foreign coach/manager and all foreign players?

That depends on what quality of player you have. If all the foreign players were capable of getting us into the prem and then into a respectable and safe position, wouldn't that be better than these English players that (for the same price) can only have us fighting for promostion in this league?

Edited by NOT Tom Fisher

All that matters is that the players that come in are good enough to help the club achieve its main target i.e. promotion to the 'promised land'.

Early signs have changed the mood from mainly negative and pessimistic to a level of optimism not seen for many a year. We are given to believe that the immediate future will only add to that optimism. 

That depends on what quality of player you have. If all the foreign players were capable of getting us into the prem and then into a respectable and safe position, wouldn't that be better than these English players that (for the same price) can only have us fighting for promostion in this league?

fair comments, Not Tom.  I'm sure many would take the successful option, myself included given where we have been the past 20 years or so.    

From an idealistic perspective though, I would like to see more local lads come through the ranks and become integral members of the first team.  IMHO I would like Palmer to stay and hopefully the likes of Stobbs, Dawson and George Hirst make it through one day into the first team.