Stevie May

Have we ever had a striker as weak as him?

Poor display again for me last night, before you say stop knocking the lad blah blah, I'm just giving an opinion which a football forum is for. Can't hold the ball up, makes the wrong runs and doesn't hassle centre backs like Lavery and even Bus does in the brief cameos I've seen from him.

Came on against Charlton and played well I thought, was given a chance last night and did feck all. Losing faith.

Was Stevie Mays performance last night so bad it deserved a thread on it's own? Or is this what you do, slate the guy after every match regardless and if a thread doesn't exist about him, you start one up??

For what it's worth my opinion of his performance last night, in the first half he was very unlucky not to win a penalty but was way too honest and stayed on his feet, had he gone down i'm sure it would have been given. A lesson to learn there but he's only 22 and still plenty of time to learn it.

With regards to the entire first half, a half in which we didn't create any clear cut chances I thought his runs were our only outlet and in a half where you don't create anything for either striker (Lavery and May) I'm not sure what you're supposed to assess a striker on other than his movement, runs and closing defenders down (all of which May is very good at). We had 2 half chances in that half, one missed by May and one missed by Lavery, both young and they weren't clear cut so again I'll not be too harsh on either for it.

I've seen enough from him to be confident going forward that this first 8 months playing at a higher level than he's ever played before will benefit him as he heads towards his first full season in England. He hasn't had the luxury that Lavery has had of being bought up in English football so I suspect this season has been a steep learning curve for the kid and on the whole (all things considered I think he's done ok... not great but ok.

The real test will come next season, he's shown plenty of promise to date but that is when he needs to show that he can develop at this level.

I think you just have to be patuient and appreciate that not every young player who comes into the first team, starts banging in the goals straight away... I hope you weren't is impatient with Afobe last season.

With Afobe I saw that he had pace, strength and athleticism. Still quite raw but a player who I could see scoring goals at this level. Which he has done.

I don't see any of those qualities, or anything else in particular with May. Besides work rate and the odd bit of nice footwork, he shows me very little.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree over May and see who's right over the long run. For the benefit of SWFC, I'm sure you'll agree hopefully I'll be proven right over this one.

I do however find your constant need to start posts, threads after pretty much every match slagging the kid off, regardless of performance a little bizarre to say the least.

Personally I'm all for giving him a chance, he's still young and these last few months will have been a steep learning curve for him.

Each his own I suppose.

He's a box player. Will come alive and make that half a yard to get a shot away. Unfortunately we play way too deep to suit Mays game and rarely haven any kind of sustained pressures around the oppositions box. To be a success at this level I do believe he needs to get stronger, a bit quicker and improve his first touch. If we brig in some quality in the summer and set up to attack more I think we will see a lot more goals from him.

I really hope he improves but currently I'm sceptical. Big pre season coming up

He's a box player. Will come alive and make that half a yard to get a shot away. Unfortunately we play way too deep to suit Mays game and rarely haven any kind of sustained pressures around the oppositions box. To be a success at this level I do believe he needs to get stronger, a bit quicker and improve his first touch. If we brig in some quality in the summer and set up to attack more I think we will see a lot more goals from him.

I really hope he improves but currently I'm sceptical. Big pre season coming up

Some good points there, hope you are right, as things stand he looks to weak and too slow to me and doesn't contribute enough to build up play, slows attacks down too often as he looks like he doesn't know what to do with the ball outside the box. 

Maybe he is a decent poacher but we will have to change the way we play to see if that is the case.

May will score goals at ANY level, given the right sort of service. He relies on service though. He isn't the type of player to impact a game if he doesn't get it, and he never will be. That's why he suffers in our team. Some people clearly haven't figured that out yet.

That is yet to be proven, given the way we play and the type of service we provide there isn't much point in picking him at the moment though as he doesn't contribute outside the box and with the way we play we don't create the type of chances that you suggest he could thrive upon.

If he's expected to run 40/50 yards with the ball on the break hes probably going to get caught or out muscled. He's not slow, but doesnt seem to have that injection of speed that really helps.

But if we arent playing a counter attacking game, I think a confident Stevie May has the potential to do well. Huddersfield away was the kind of game that suited him, he was getting in between defenders and the keeper and making pretty brave runs which ended in him getting wiped out two or three times. We need to get the ball to him in or on the edge of the box as he likes a shot, but at the moment he looks a bit down in the dumps.

Other than lavery, all our strikers look a bit raw and inconsistent. I really hope were in the market for a more proven one this summer.

That is yet to be proven, given the way we play and the type of service we provide there isn't much point in picking him at the moment though as he doesn't contribute outside the box and with the way we play we don't create the type of chances that you suggest he could thrive upon.

I agree. But it's pretty much been the same all season. We've never really played to his strengths at all. We spent most of our budget on a prolific striker with seemingly no plan on how to play to his strengths and get he best out of him. Just sort of slung straight in and expected to work miracles without the supply he needs.

In that sense, considering the players we've had and the way Gray has set us up, he's looking like a poor signing. I remember saying way back in august, how I hoped people would have patience with him and not to expect him to set the world alight considering the players around him and the fact that he'd need to also, adapt to the league.

I truly believe we've got a proper goal scorer in May. We just need to play him the right way and give him the right sort of service.

Have we ever had a striker as weak as him?

Poor display again for me last night, before you say stop knocking the lad blah blah, I'm just giving an opinion which a football forum is for. Can't hold the ball up, makes the wrong runs and doesn't hassle centre backs like Lavery and even Bus does in the brief cameos I've seen from him.

Came on against Charlton and played well I thought, was given a chance last night and did feck all. Losing faith.

I suppose you have forgotten Jay Bothroyd?

The Championship has been a step to far for him and knocked his confidence.

But he still has time on his side to improve areas in his game.

Best thing would be to loan him out until christmas- preferably to a lower end champ club.

He's at one.

No way is he a out right centre forward too weak in all areas . Nice guy but does not cut it at this level he needs to be loaned out .

Did absolutely nothing last night at all . Not quick enough either and got knocked off the ball a few times .

Proberbly need to spend a lot more on a decent one it wouldake sense

he's got minimal confidence at the moment and is our 4th choice striker at the moment. he needs a holiday and a pre-season n then see how he cracks on next time around, i can't imagine us offloading him unless we get a similar fee to what we paid for him and unless celtic or rangers want him i can't imagine that happening. give the lad a chance, he's shown some sparks and he's certainly willing.

a big problem for footballers nowadays is if they get stuck in a rutt, its hard to get out of it cos they can't just book a week off work which is sometimes all that's needed. looked at athletes, golfers, boxers, mma fighters, etc... they often take a year out of their careers cos they aren't feeling up to it and come back refreshed. im not suggesting we start letting our players take paid years off, but giving them 2 weeks off when their confidence is shot imo could pay off.

Guest Daniel Walker

I can't see him coming good

He has no oace no strength no anything really unfortunately

I really want him to come good but can't see it