Stevie May

May made a few decent runs and even had to bend a few, but the passes played to him were behind him. Something Lavery has to work on as his passing can be poor.

He doesn't have great pace but has good acceleration and can get away from a defender over 10 yards before they reel him in.

In the summer he needs to get on the weights and work on his strength, he should have a lower sense of gravity then the players he is up against, if he gets the strength he should be able to burst past players and hold them off in and around the penalty box.

IF he doesn't hit the ground running next season he needs to go out on loan, would have been good to have a squad to five him that opportunity last January

Time for judging May is next season - when he's had a pre-season at the club, a Championship season under his belt, time to settle down in Sheffield, and hopefully have a few attack-minded players added to the squad.

You're right and I hope he comes good (I really do) but will the preseason bring May aerial ability, pace, strength, anticipation, power and an eye for goal because, from where I'm looking, he's lacks all of those things.

We should cut our loses and move May out. We should also sell Nuhiu (whom I like) because he ain't good enough.

Edited by shandypants

You're right and I hope he comes good (I really do) but will the preseason bring May aerial ability, pace, strength, anticipation, power and an eye for goal because, from where I'm looking, he's lacks all of those things.

We should cut our loses and move May out. We should also sell Nuhiu (whom I like) because he ain't good enough.

Pace, aerial ability and strength, no. Eye for a goal and anticipation, he already has.

If I may be so bold to state your Lordship, I think he'll need to take those onto the pitch if he is going to improve.

True, 

But it should make it easier for him to avoid the attentions of the boy Cooper if the centre back has had his legs cleaved from his body. 

Our non strikers have contributed 16 assists all season (7 of those from Maghoma, 3 of which were in one game)

He's scored 7 goals, our second top scorer and has 2 assists, so is 4th in our assists table.

That evens out as being our 3rd best player this season when it comes to goals. 

Yeah, he's clearly had a shocker...

http://www.swfc.co.uk/stats/player-stats/

True, 

But it should make it easier for him to avoid the attentions of the boy Cooper if the centre back has had his legs cleaved from his body. 

lol

In all seriousness Your Lordship, I find it so frustrating watching May. Many forwards have lacked in the ways that I believe May lacks but they play to their strengths which, invariably, is to "goal hang" (there is a rougher local colloquialism for "goal hanging" but I wouldn't use it in polite company). When I have seen May really look good is when he has the ball at his feet in the penalty area but that rarely happens because, very often, he's out of position. I'm just really not convinced.

I know Scottish prem isn't that high a standard but he still scored against reasonable goalkeepers and was up against tall/strong defenders.

If he was that weak he'd have been muscled out in the Scottish game too.

The pace is higher in the championship but he's been getting chances.The fact he's been missing them says to me its more a confidence thing that ability because a goal poacher is a goal poacher.

He was playing well early on for me.He seemed to be doing everything he should be doing when he's not got the ball.

Whether he is better than lavery or bus though is another matter.

lol

In all seriousness Your Lordship, I find it so frustrating watching May. Many forwards have lacked in the ways that I believe May lacks but they play to their strengths which, invariably, is to "goal hang" (there is a rougher local colloquialism for "goal hanging" but I wouldn't use it in polite company). When I have seen May really look good is when he has the ball at his feet in the penalty area but that rarely happens because, very often, he's out of position. I'm just really not convinced.

Our style of play Shandy old fruit. Our style of play.

All our forwards spend a lot of time out of the opposition box.

They are to use the old adage 'The First Line of Defence'.

I'm sure that should Mr C give Mr G the all clear to bring in some visionary midfielders, with craft and guile, and a wide player who can deliver correctly then we'll see an improvement in ALL of our strikers next season. 

He let himself down a bit last night by not going down..mind you the ref would probably have given a throw in..after checking with the linesman, 4th official an' Sky Sports centre...nailed on Pen for me...its not a question of admiring his honesty..he was f.ookin' fouled...so he's maybe a bit Naive...next season..maybe not so much

He let himself down a bit last night by not going down..mind you the ref would probably have given a throw in..after checking with the linesman, 4th official an' Sky Sports centre...nailed on Pen for me...its not a question of admiring his honesty..he was f.ookin' fouled...so he's maybe a bit Naive...next season..maybe not so much

I genuinely don't think the official would have given it.

Our style of play Shandy old fruit. Our style of play.

All our forwards spend a lot of time out of the opposition box.

They are to use the old adage 'The First Line of Defence'.

I'm sure that should Mr C give Mr G the all clear to bring in some visionary midfielders, with craft and guile, and a wide player who can deliver correctly then we'll see an improvement in ALL of our strikers next season. 

I'm not convinced that the right thing to do is to buy players to suit May. What should happen is for May to work hard to improve. Even if we do build a side that creates chances to convert, I'm not sure that May would be in the area to take those chances.

Our non strikers have contributed 16 assists all season (7 of those from Maghoma, 3 of which were in one game)

He's scored 7 goals, our second top scorer and has 2 assists, so is 4th in our assists table.

That evens out as being our 3rd best player this season when it comes to goals. 

Yeah, he's clearly had a shocker...

http://www.swfc.co.uk/stats/player-stats/

I understand the point you are trying to make but no player will get credited with an assist if the strikers do not put the ball in the back of the net!

You're a good poster shandy, I enjoy the debates, but you basically said I was deluded for rating Stevie May. I'd expect that from some on here, but not thee

If you look back at that thread, I was talking generally and my comment wasn't pointed at you.