Glen Whelan

Guest _Ibbo_

whelan and brunt to come home during the summer.... 

for PL Promotion target..... 

Whelan, Brunt, McGugan, Semedo would be one hell of a midfield...... 

Unwilling to sign a new contract in the summerI'd definitely take him backGot a far few premierleague appearances under his belt nowCan't see any premierleague clubs going for himCome home Glen lol

Whelan would walk into 75% of the teams in the Premiership, and I couldn't see him dropping down a division, just because he played here ten years ago.

I'd say he might be a realistic target on a free, on a two year deal.

Experienced midfielder to hold the team together.

Not all key signings are going to be strikers or flair players.

Arguably, our best signing this season has been Tom Lees. Lees was a fantastic addition.

I'd say he might be a realistic target on a free, on a two year deal.

Experienced midfielder to hold the team together.

Not all key signings are going to be strikers or flair players.

Arguably, our best signing this season has been Tom Lees. Lees was a fantastic addition.

Whelan would very much be in the Prutton mould. But 20 times better.

Reckon there could be something to this- I'd disagree that he'd walk into most prem teams. Would be an excellent squad player but a prem team, but if he wants guaranteed first team football then he may need to take a step down... and we'd certainly be able to meet wage demands I'm sure while guaranteeing him a major role within the club.

Invaluable experience and good ability plus no transfer fee... make it happen Stuart! What a spine we'd have in the team: Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Semedo, Whelan, McGugan... I can dream can't I?  lol

Reckon there could be something to this- I'd disagree that he'd walk into most prem teams. Would be an excellent squad player but a prem team, but if he wants guaranteed first team football then he may need to take a step down... and we'd certainly be able to meet wage demands I'm sure while guaranteeing him a major role within the club.

Invaluable experience and good ability plus no transfer fee... make it happen Stuart! What a spine we'd have in the team: Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Semedo, Whelan, McGugan... I can dream can't I?  lol

All managers build in the same way. Well, unless you're Kevin Keegan that is.

1)Sort out a solid defence, build from the back

2)Get the spine of your team right.

3)Get strikers who can nick you goals from tight games

4)Gradually introduce more flair to the team.

We're still trying to complete (1) but we're almost there. If better defenders become available, we'll still sign them, but it's the defence as a unit, and how well it does, that's more important than how each defender is rated individually.

Shows we still have a long way to go to be ready for a promotion push. Still need to sort the spine of the team, still looking for quality strikers, still not enough flair players.

Undoubtedly, over the summer, we'll see about a dozen players move on. Good enough to earn a wage in the Championship, yes. At the top end of Championship performers (required for a promotion push), no.

You can see from the gaps to fill using the above plan, that there will also be plenty of quality incomings this season. Is Gray the man on whom Mr Chansiri will rely to get us promotion inside 2 seasons? Possibly, but I suspect not. More likely to see a high profile manager come in.