Glen Whelan

I'd say he might be a realistic target on a free, on a two year deal.

Experienced midfielder to hold the team together.

Not all key signings are going to be strikers or flair players.

Arguably, our best signing this season has been Tom Lees. Lees was a fantastic addition.

Worth a punt

Guest Mancunian_Owl

I was probably the head of Whelan's fan club when he was hear, I would have constant arguments with mates and family that he was a quality player and didn't deserve the abuse he got. Similar to a lot of really good Wednesday players in that year.

To p**s on the OP thread though, Whelan is not out of contract as Stoke gave him a two year extension in January http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31046167

Finally whilst I agree GW is still a great player, even if we could/would sign him in the summer, we would not be re-signing the player we sold. I'd argue he is slightly past his prime, still an excellent experienced player but GW has given his best years to Stoke now.

All the best to him, but Stoke won't be letting him go anywhere IMO.

whelan and brunt to come home during the summer.... 

for PL Promotion target..... 

Whelan, Brunt, McGugan, Semedo would be one hell of a midfield...... 

No width and Whelan would be stood next to Semedo trying to do the same job.  I fooooking love Semedo but if Whelan was to return then Semedo wouldn't get a look in. 

I was gutted when Whelan left, not so much brunt who had to go the prem, running round like a headless championship player didn't suit his style hence he looked even better in the prem and why he was criticised here for not running around like a idiot. Criticised for not playing like a championship player lol

For me losing whelan was a massive loss would love him back but doubt he is leaving stoke anytime soon hes a very appreciated player there. Think we have been down so long we miss certain traits and look for the wrong ones.

Edited by BenitoBarham

I was probably the head of Whelan's fan club when he was hear, I would have constant arguments with mates and family that he was a quality player and didn't deserve the abuse he got. Similar to a lot of really good Wednesday players in that year.

To p**s on the OP thread though, Whelan is not out of contract as Stoke gave him a two year extension in January http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31046167

Finally whilst I agree GW is still a great player, even if we could/would sign him in the summer, we would not be re-signing the player we sold. I'd argue he is slightly past his prime, still an excellent experienced player but GW has given his best years to Stoke now.

All the best to him, but Stoke won't be letting him go anywhere IMO.

Agreed, I found it strange how people could not see his talents. My grunter cousin tried to tell me tongue was better than Whelan. Well they both went Stoke and one did much better than the other. Edited by BenitoBarham

I remember several threads where it was just us two defending him.

Albeit I had a different username (Big Blue) back then, because it was before the laptop I was permanently logged in on broke taking my password with it.

Didn't get it until you reminded me of your old user name, but I indeed remember that it was largely two of us, and two girls, Kel and Viktoria who stood by him, and got dog's abuse on here for doing so.

Had an odd career with us.

Was fantastic in the promotion season.

Was absolutely awful the following season.  Woeful.

Then came good again under Laws.

Has had a great career including scoring in internationals etc.  Good on him.

I think Whelan was made into a scapegoat for an iffy first season back in the Championship following promotion in 05. 

A bit like a few from the team in 11/12 he struggled to adapt and I think was made captain for a spell. This was despite the fact that he was only 21,22? at the time. 

The club, possibly pandering to some of these criticisms, put him on the transfer list the following season, yet Sturrock persisted in picking him and Laws did so afterwards. 

As good as Brunt was in 06/07 - Whelan was better. 

Bossed many games, scored 8,9 goals and became a top Championship midfield player in the process. 

The fact that he's now spent 7, 8 seasons in the Prem is testament to the fact that he was a very good, capable player. 

We've not had a player of his quality ever since and he would walk into the current side, no question. 

Edited by SiJ

Didn't get it until you reminded me of your old user name, but I indeed remember that it was largely two of us, and two girls, Kel and Viktoria who stood by him, and got dog's abuse on here for doing so.

Yes, that's right. I'd forgotten their names. I couldn't believe how many thought he was crap at the time.