McGugan

Can't believe what I'm reading, a player comes on loan to get some games under his belt ( because he hasn't been playing ) and you want him to run around like flippingLinford Christie. That game today will have done Lewis a world of good, we will see the best of him in the coming weeks. Now get off his flippingback!!!! UTO

Let's hope so cos he was gash today.

Really thought we will start this with 5 in midfield, and McGugan with lots of freedom in his play, and just behind May.

I was hoping for this as well.

Thought he did ok in the first half McGugan. Always wanted the ball. He'll be at his best further up the pitch.

Gtf, despite being a bit unlucky with a couple of passes over the top that skipped on to the keeper, he was poor. At least he spotted May's runs though.

Guest wednesdaybird

Maghoma is a total waste of space, as for Drenthe his overall play is weak but he takes a wicked corner unlike Maguire who can't even beat the 1st man, I really thought we were unlucky today, some nice football but like others have said we are 2 defensive, there seems to be no urgency to go forward, I think Mcgugan will come good but he hasn't played for 2mths give him time.

Tells you all you need to know about SG.

Attacking midfielder with assists and goals in him.

Played most of the game anchored around the half-way line.

We don't score goals because we're always sat too deep. It's a

no risk policy adopted by SG.

Time for SG to fall on his sword I'm afraid.

Gotta agree. Totally ineffective as he was given no freedom to play.

Dont think he'll make much difference. The lack of goals comes down to more than the players, its the negative tactics with very little idea of a gameplan other than to keep solid.

Looked a bit rusty, nothing else. Not going to judge him too much on just that performance. But he did find May with a couple of decent balls down the channel.

McGugan said he sees himself as a central midfielder and that's where he was today.

Semedo was sat far deeper than him - with 2 strikers and attacking wingers like Drenthe and Maghoma, playing McGugan much higher up the pitch, away from home, would have been suicidal.

Expect him to be more advanced at Hillsborough though.

Hang on I think some people are being a bit too critical here.

I mean, some of the best balls through from midfield today came from a deep playing Taylor-Fletcher, he actually did some Sheridan-esq passes from deep today, despite being the "spearhead" of the attacking force apparently.    I was VERY impressed with his vision today.    

Likewise with McGugan.  yes, he was played very deep, and when not deep a little too wide - but he did show a lot of class, and he did bring a lot more out of those around him - especially Semedo.

I swear, a lot of our fans ask too much, too soon of everyone.   Today was positive, not otherwise.   "I am Salmonbones, hear me clap"

Gotta agree. Totally ineffective as he was given no freedom to play.

Dont think he'll make much difference. The lack of goals comes down to more than the players, its the negative tactics with very little idea of a gameplan other than to keep solid.

Rubbish. Look at the side he put out today. Couldn't have been any more positive. not writing mcgugan off by any stretch but he was poo today. His passing was way off and went missing regular. Hopefully he's just playing his way back in cos the lads a good player.

We are what we are. A cobbled together bunch of free transfer, loans and cast offs. All things considered, sitting where we are in the Championship is an achievement. People on here confuse where we think we should be, and where is par, considering the team we have.

ffs give the lad time to adjust , (not that he has much mind)the kid ain't played in how long so is sure to be rusty , it's not easy coming into a new set up and pulling the strings very few can do it and if they do manage it, it is only in patches so lets see how it goes before writing him off ,But then we are good at that as fans aren't we

Rubbish. Look at the side he put out today. Couldn't have been any more positive. not writing mcgugan off by any stretch but he was poo today. His passing was way off and went missing regular. Hopefully he's just playing his way back in cos the lads a good player.

Do you think just putting out an attacking side automatically means they'll play well and create chances? I could put out that team, most of our fans could. Doesn't mean the performance wouldn't be rubbish though.

It's about their gameplan and style of play, and everything that they are apparently doing in training. The job of a manager isnt just to pick the team! 

Our lack of desire to attack is just criminal. And we don't have a recognised style of play, are we a passing side, long ball side, team that gets lots of crosses in, attacks through the middle? We don't have any identity to our play, it seems just a case of put them out and keep the shackles on them and hope for a goal.

Do you think just putting out an attacking side automatically means they'll play well and create chances? I could put out that team, most of our fans could. Doesn't mean the performance wouldn't be rubbish though.

It's about their gameplan and style of play, and everything that they are apparently doing in training. The job of a manager isnt just to pick the team!

Our lack of desire to attack is just criminal. And we don't have a recognised style of play, are we a passing side, long ball side, team that gets lots of crosses in, attacks through the middle? We don't have any identity to our play, it seems just a case of put them out and keep the shackles on them and hope for a goal.

Not what I saw today. We broke play up decently and broke well at times. Had 15 attempts at goal and most of possession. Just didn't have the quality to score although may was really unlucky.

Don't know what you want with the players he's got?

Thought he fitted in well today. He was rusty but you could certainly see him improving.

Today, Huddersfield played Poyet in a deep sitting midfield role, moving McGugan further forward would've played right into Huddersfield's hands.

I actually thought, it might have been worth trying to drop McGugan back. Semedo enjoyed loads of time in that position, but doesn't have the range of passing to utilise it. McGugan has.

As it happened, we controlled the second half, and only sheer bad luck and scandalous refereeing prevented us getting three points.

McGugan will get better, and so will Wednesday.

Not what I saw today. We broke play up decently and broke well at times. Had 15 attempts at goal and most of possession. Just didn't have the quality to score although may was really unlucky.

Don't know what you want with the players he's got?

Well I guess one game a whole season makes then. Lets be happy despite all the other turgid home performances.

The man is a good honest bloke, gets the team working hard and defensively solid but just doesnt have a clue how to get his teams to attack. Theres nothing wrong with that as a no2, and thats what he should be. Hence why he failed at Saints and even Northampton when given the main gig.

Especially along with Bullen it is clear we have no-one to coach attacking play. No-one.

Edited by swfc-dan