McGugan

3-5-2

It suits the players we have

Puts players in natural positions - but we need most players fit

By and large we seem to be getting back to the ridiculous "Lidl players" bullshine

The players are as good as at least 70% of the division - but like at those other clubs its how the players are utilised that will determine their season

went to St James park today with my bro & nephew, who are toon fans, 

they are both coming to the Wigan game next week, so i went there today..... point being, i havent seen the game today so cant comment, but what i would like to comment on is the stick SG is getting for not playing 4-5-1.

Thats weird cos one of the biggest criticisms on DJ was his lack of playing 4-4-2, also SG has taken stick in the past when hes played only one up top.... 

So today he plays away from home with 2 up top and the 4 in midfield being as attack minded as ive seen from us for ages, mcGugan & Drenthe have less defensive mindsets than any other midfielders we have - and people are criticizing SG for not playing 5 across the midfield, i dont get that, its quite harsh IMO.

Clearly McGugan will be rusty due to lack of first team action.  However, to me he didn't even look interested at times, yesterday.  He appeared to be just going through the motions and not prepared to "break his neck" to get forward.  It will be interesting to see if he's any better after a full week training with the squad and playing at home next Saturday, with hopefully a more attacking approach to the game by Stuart Gray.

Our strength this season is our ability to defend well as a team, why give away our strength to play to our weakness?.

I saw enough yesterday, albeit on't TV, to see that May was playing the way he did when he first arrived and the formation we played did well enough to create lots of chances, 3 really great chances for May (crossbar & Post), Drenthe and the penalty claim to Hudds 1 real chance.

If we persevere with this set up the goals and wins will come, but not by throwing the baby out with the bath water.

A more likely reason for Mcgugan not playing higher up is his lack of fitness, rather than tactics.

Oh yeah... I forgot. Must be the same when May is in our half, GTF is picking the ball up from our centre halves, when Palmer is told to stop at the half way line. Take you blinkers off mate. It is Grays zonal tactics that are inhibiting our creativity, and is the reason an attacking midfielder spent 80% of the game in his own half. Yes his touch was rusty, but he obviously wasn't allowed to express himself because he had to partner semedo.