Would we have made more or less yesterday than a normal priced game?

I don't believe it's all about the price, we don't market ourselves properly when it comes to season ticket sales, those are the people that should be reaping the benefits of 'cheap' games.

I don't know what brighton have been doing for the last few seasons but the support has been brilliant, same with Nowrich even in the third they were playing in front of full houses and yes I am aware the ground only holds 26,000.

The problem with all of this, is that once we make the tickets £10 or even £20 a week, we will be even further behind in terms of being able to compete financially.

Those turning up and paying their £10 will stop going, or start moaning about us not spending x millions of pounds on players.

£10 x 30,000 = £300,000

£25 x 20,000 = £500,000

We also wouldn't get anywhere near 30,000 every week, people would still pick and chose games, even at £10.

Sadly I think it's been shown that oevr a season cheaper prices just don't work out. However, should we be top 10 / 6 then that could change.

What I do think needs addressing is tickets for youngsters - say under 8's. Maybe even under 5's. Make it £2/£3 a game for them. They won't go to all games - night matches, cold afternoons maybe but at that price it wouldn't make much difference to take a couple of kids. Particualrly the younger end.

I know that free season tickets for under 8's was abused last year a bit - but with our computer system now you can see how often it is actually used for kids and how often just to get an upgraded adult ticket. My young kids didn't go much at first but after christmas were regulars - now they don't go so much as I couldn't go for / justify the full season ticket on top of mine when they wouldn't always go.

As a season ticket holder I don't mind what prices we charge on match day - I'd rather get a good walk up in. I do think the kids free season ticket was a nice little bonus though.

The problem being if they did reduced tickets too often people will moan about paying up front for an expensive season ticket when it would have been cheaper to pay match by match.

yeah i see where your coming from pal as I'd be a little miffed too. 

yeah i see where your coming from pal as I'd be a little miffed too. 

There is a point there, but lets say prices were reduced to £18 for example ,over 23 games works out around £414 per season

How does that compare with a season ticket, would the S/T holders still be in pocket?

Perhaps one of them could let us know

But all that  aside, Saturdays crowd goes to show there is a demand at the right price

My season ticket works out at roughly £22 per game.

The price of football at Hillsborough is far too much, i think we are all agreed on that.

I want the place as full as can be every match. I believe the crowd number and atmosphere on Saturday made a huge difference to the result.

However i still get a bit narked that we as season ticket holders, the ones who have put their hard earned money into the club up front (without knowing which league we are going to be in) get taken for granted when these deals come into play.

There is a point there, but lets say prices were reduced to £18 for example ,over 23 games works out around £414 per season

How does that compare with a season ticket, would the S/T holders still be in pocket?

Perhaps one of them could let us know

But all that  aside, Saturdays crowd goes to show there is a demand at the right price

See i think they do need to find some sort of middle ground because seeing Hillsborough that full again just for a game against reading was brilliant and i'd love to see it that way on a regular basis. 

Guest AbbeyOwl

I have been thinking after seeing the attendance on Saturday and thinking what the  club could do to bring in a certain amount of cheaper tickets without eroding the revenue base of season tickets, maybe a ballot system where say 2k tickets are made available for each game and are sold at say £10 / £5 a ticket. You have to register and are allowed say 2 tickets 3 times a season. The tickets are allocated on a random basis and the successful applicant is notified a month before, when using the tickets they have to show id so people cannot register as a way of making a few quid. So people who do struggle to actually pay for games but want to attend can get to a few games extremely cheaply.

Also I used to get a spare season ticket so my kids could take a mate to games, several of these kids became Wednesday fans including one who at 8 was a Blade. Maybe the Club could send free kids tickets to primary schools across Yorkshire with the provisor a teacher accompanies them, so improving atmosphere but also encouraging the next generation of Owls Fans, lots of kids dont have a Dad at home or parents not interested or able to afford Football, this way you cultivate the future.

Edited by AbbeyOwl

I think a good pricing model for tickets would be if it was based on the previous season in terms of goals and results along with some factor of local wages, KO time and day of the week. If that could be standardised and adhered to by clubs - with some leeway at the clubs discretion for the odd game to be a higher or lower price - it would work pretty well.

Edited by townend_owl

The problem with all of this, is that once we make the tickets £10 or even £20 a week, we will be even further behind in terms of being able to compete financially.

Those turning up and paying their £10 will stop going, or start moaning about us not spending x millions of pounds on players.

£10 x 30,000 = £300,000

£25 x 20,000 = £500,000

We also wouldn't get anywhere near 30,000 every week, people would still pick and chose games, even at £10.

This.

Even at 20quid, we'd need to average 25000 to keep the same gate receipts and I'd imagine that Milan would only lower prices if he expected to increase income, not just meet it.

If it didn't work, then it would be very hard to increase prices again.

Surely the club have a finance team which look into this and actually have the financial data available to them?

£10 a ticket just wouldn’t work there is an element of sensitivity analysis behind setting prices with regards to price point vs optimum revenue â€“ it’s likely the club have already done this to give the optimum pricing strategy they can.

As posted previously crudely calculated:

20,000 Attendance @ £25 (As a rough flat rate for illustration) = £500,000

30,000 Attendance @ £10 = £300,000

That's hypothetically £200k of revenue off your top line (obviously these revenue figures don't factor in Stand Price differences and Kids/OAP pricing).

Factor in your additional costs of staffing/stewarding etc for the increase in attendance and the pricing model would see the club lose out over the long term. As already mentioned this also all works on the assumption that just because a ticket is £10, we’ll have a full house – this wouldn’t happen over an extended period and attendances would drop off.

I'm not sure how catering works - do the caterers pay a fee to operate the stands or do we get a % of the margin? If you have an average spend of say £5 a person you still wouldn't improve your top-line enough to cover the loss in revenue of operating the same pricing model as Saturday (i.e. £5 additional spend is £50k, still £150k off the hypothetical £500k mentioned earlier).

We’re still not covering our losses from what MM has said over the past few years, adopting a new pricing policy to try and shake up the league wouldn’t be feasible and would only see the club lose out.

Lets face it – we all hate the fact we don’t spend money on signings every Summer and rely on loans as it is. If we adopted a radical change in pricing strategy we’d be even less competitive.  The only way football pricing could be reduced to these levels would be if TV Rights etc. were distributed more evenly throughout football, and its unlikely that will ever happen.

Guest Big Guns

I thought it was boring. Very little goal mouth action - the second half didn't kick off until 4:10.

The game didn't finish until 5:00 pm. That was because of the inept referee and time wasting/arguing by the opposition.

I bet it was the last game to finish on Saturday with a 3:00 pm kick off. The only highlight was the win.

Turgid stuff - not for me thanks.

And, I'm not blaming us/Gray.

i nearly nodded off in the second half

seriously

I have been thinking after seeing the attendance on Saturday and thinking what the  club could do to bring in a certain amount of cheaper tickets without eroding the revenue base of season tickets, maybe a ballot system where say 2k tickets are made available for each game and are sold at say £10 / £5 a ticket. You have to register and are allowed say 2 tickets 3 times a season. The tickets are allocated on a random basis and the successful applicant is notified a month before, when using the tickets they have to show id so people cannot register as a way of making a few quid. So people who do struggle to actually pay for games but want to attend can get to a few games extremely cheaply.

Also I used to get a spare season ticket so my kids could take a mate to games, several of these kids became Wednesday fans including one who at 8 was a Blade. Maybe the Club could send free kids tickets to primary schools across Yorkshire with the provisor a teacher accompanies them, so improving atmosphere but also encouraging the next generation of Owls Fans, lots of kids dont have a Dad at home or parents not interested or able to afford Football, this way you cultivate the future.

Seems a decent idea to me. 

This always sticks in my mind (yes I know we aren't at the same level of non matchday income)

In the soundbite, from last year, he says: 'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?

'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.

'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.

'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318209/Bayern-Munich-season-tickets-low-104-putting-Premier-League-shame.html

That article proves what can be done. I bet Scudamore tried to get the website shut down! BM buy some of the best players in Europe, not the worst example to follow.

The minimum wage is £6:31 an hour. Due to rise to £6:50 on October 1st.

Who do the football authorities think football is targeted at nowadays?

A walk up price of £28:00 is ridiculous. Football will become a treat for some people at those prices.

Not a regular event. And, the end product isn't worth it.

(Thus I agree with your main point)

True. Try telling somebody they've got to work half a day to afford to watch us play & they'd just laugh. It's a rip-off. Get people in via price incentives. Put the small away support in the lower west, or in cheese corner. Give home fans the best deals, the best seats & sod the tiny visitor numbers taking the upper tier. Keep them behind 10 minutes if plod can't cope. Easy.

We need to make it as cheap as they do at the Lane

Then we could have a tiny budget and struggle to compete just like them.

correct, we struggle like fack for christ only knows how many years...

along comes a milan with a plan...

and folks want to get in for fack all...

and it's not just that, they want ground improvements, new scoreboards, and even new grounds building...

i would watch footy in a shithole like jokewell IF we were riding high in this division and going on to ride high in the premier...

it has to be done on a budget, like it of not...

and carckin' signings, followed by competitive sides, cannot be brought along without funding...

the scumbags were gettin' in at t'lane for next to fack all, and less...

till the trotters ended up skinting their own club...

and then mc wotsit chalked fack on it and them...

milan's stewardship is working, it's not racing ahead, but he's done this far more than we have, and knows what he's on with...

pay yer money and know it's being wisely spent...