Antonio vs our left back

Just a thought with Antonio presumably playing right wing (not sure which way around him and Burke have been playing) and his main assets being pace and power, would it not be better to play helan there and eliminate that threat. I am not mattocks biggest fan by any means, but he did play well against Millwall before his mistake for their goal and personally think Antonio will cause him lots of problems as he struggles to deal with pace.

Thoughts?

He has been playing on the left and just about all of his goals have come from piling in at the back post from Burke crosses.

Easiest way to mitigate it is going to be Mattock getting very, very tight on Burke who isn't the quickest.

Palmer will need to be switched on though. Definitely has the beating of Antonio in the air and as quick as him over 5-10 yards so confident he can deal with him so long as he keeps his concentration.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Again echo some of the comments here that Antonio has been playing on the left for Forest, in all honesty we will be best placed to deal with his pace, however there are a couple of danger players not just Antonio for forest and it would be silly to think all we have to do is worry about Michail.

I won't either Boo or Cheer Michail, he did a good job for SWFC but moved on, wasn't impressed with him last year and I'm happy to Maghoma given more of a chance this season with him moving on. SWFC have never struggled for wingers and I personally think Maguire and Maghoma will be better for us this season.

Anyone remember Charlton at home, and Antonio's two backpasses to defence?

Mattock won't take any poo .

I feel a repeat coming on of when Man U came to town in the '80's - Irish put Lee Sharpe into the south stand in the first minute and no-one worried about him for the remaining 89 minutes..

Would we have had this thread if Reda was playing for us? Probably not, and yet mattock is 10 times the defender Reda was, he's been one of our best players so far this season so why do people still worry about him?

Can't comment on the likes of Burke, but Antonio's plan A is to drop the shoulder and try to go down the outside of the full back, if it doesn't work the first few times he'll drift out of the game for a while, Mattock will know that and he's more than good enough to deal with him.

I think he has been drifting in from the left, getting on the end of Burke's crosses.

Maguire & Palmer will double up on him & sort him out, Mattock has to stop Burke's supply from the other side to stop them. 

palmer will match Antonio on the deck to byline but not in the air imo

so mattock and the left mid needs to cut the supply for this

particular threat.

however Antonio will nearly always cut in from the left on the deck

so should be shown to byline, where he'll run it out/lose it/backtrack

or put a pee poor cross in on his weak left foot.

agree we should focus our attacks down the right, due

to antonio's poor work rate and stamina.

get palmer forward and play the def cm (semedo?) on the right of

the middle pair to help cover counters and Antonio cut in's imo.

don't know much about forests other players but they could well be

harder to nullify than the known Antonio threat.

We've all seen Antonio enough times to know that he has great games and awful ones. The awful ones are often after getting a couple of strong tackles in on him early. Never recovers well from them

Needs a rattling from bite yer legs hutchinson

Our full backs have played him in training endlessly.

If they don't know how to stop him, no one does.

It's Burke I'm more worried about.

Helan had Burke in his pocket last season.

If we don't know how to defend against Antonio then we've got no hope. All our defenders will have lined up against him every day for the last 2 years.

Exactly, he's a one trick pony, push the ball past and use his pace, the players will tell you the same themselves.