Atdhe Nuihu

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Guest Mancunian_Owl

What an odd thread. To summarise now Jon does not like nuhui and has debated his points for 70 pages. We get your point Jon but I completely disagree with it as for previously stated reasons I am not going to repeat myself again just be because you are.

BG- you rebel, not sure what you are rebelling against part from some comments about being picked on which you've made a few times.

If there are no new opinions can we all stop repeating ourselves. For this that dislike Nuhui you have made your point. However you are in the minority most swfc fans rate him repeating the same sentences with increasing anger will not change this.

Best start swfc have had for a while in the champ and we are pulling apart our top goal scorer. Let it go now boys I think you all forget this is just a bloke like you and me we are talking about. Nuhui is not some product or service he is a bloke trying his best for our football club. Time for some to remember that he wears the blue and white stripes with pride.

What an odd thread. To summarise now Jon does not like nuhui and has debated his points for 70 pages. We get your point Jon but I completely disagree with it as for previously stated reasons I am not going to repeat myself again just be because you are.

BG- you rebel, not sure what you are rebelling against part from some comments about being picked on which you've made a few times.

If there are no new opinions can we all stop repeating ourselves. For this that dislike Nuhui you have made your point. However you are in the minority most swfc fans rate him repeating the same sentences with increasing anger will not change this.

Best start swfc have had for a while in the champ and we are pulling apart our top goal scorer. Let it go now boys I think you all forget this is just a bloke like you and me we are talking about. Nuhui is not some product or service he is a bloke trying his best for our football club. Time for some to remember that he wears the blue and white stripes with pride.

Great post.

Not sure Jon will like it though, he loves playing the victim our Jon

well said!

Ok Jon, here you go;

As I've said already he is far too one dimensional for him to be a player good enough to fire us to promotion.

Nonsense. Firstly, as is obvious to see, Gray has got us playing probably the most fluid formation we have ever used. We alternate between 442, to 451, to 433, to 4231, depending on how play is going. Using Nuhiu, we seem to be able to do that quite successfully - he allows us to use him as a lone target man, a central striker with two wide attackers, and as one of a front two.

Many people seem to be under the impression he's our best striker. Compare him to every other clubs supposed best striker and let's see what position were in.

Forest - Assombalonga - no question who's the better player

Watford - Deeney - again, no question who's the best out of them

Wolves - Dickho - Take Dickho over Nuhiu every day

Norwich - Grabban - nothing to say

Millwall - Gregory - probably take Nuhiu over him frankly

Charlton - Vetokole - banged goals in so far, looks considerably better

Assombalonga cost £5m+. 

Deeney - cost £500k, been there for four years

Dicko - cost £300k

Grabban - Undisclosed, believed to be £750k - was signed for £300k originally

Gregory - Undisclosed, for a 26 year old hes barely done anything.

Vetokele - undisclosed, according to Transfermarkt, it was £2.6m

Nuhiu - FREE. Arguably better value than the majority of strikers, and will have a better resale profit too.

He'll score the odd lucky goal. He can run about and cause teams problems. But does he have any match-winning quality? Absolutely not

Id say he does. Not only does he score goals, but he creates space and opportunity for others. Hes integral to the way we play, and hes been part of the reason weve had such a good start. Lucky goals? Hardly. Was the QPR goal last season lucky?

At best he should be third or fourth choice for us. He's got nice feet, links play up well, can hold it up okay - he's got some decent attributes - but like I've said if we have any aspirations to be one of the better teams in this league he isn't good enough. Or if he is good enough - then he can't be partnered alongside Stevie.

Sure, and when we decide to start spending to compete with the top teams in this league, then maybe Nuhiu will be third or fourth choice striker. but we arent, and we wont be for a considerable amount of time. So, with what we have, is he first choice or third? is he behind may, madine, hope or lavery? absolutely not.

He's got some serious flaws in his game. The fact he can't run is one. As I've said for ages his lack of pace is seriously worrying. He really struggles to get going.

As I've also said his lack of movement - compounded with the fact he can't run - when the ball is in wide positions also crucifies his usefulness in front of goal.

He can run. Hes not got a physical defect, yes he might not be the quickest but hes quick enough. Movement is also more than adequate, hes not a JJ or Maghoma, but thats not his game. JJ and Maghoma cant hold the ball up, nuhiu can. everyone has skills, if they were the complete player they wouldnt be playing for us in this league.

On top of that, his finishing is erratic at best when he is prevented chances and most of his goals come from 6 yards out or 25 yards out. There's no in-between, there's no middle ground and there's no consistency.

I think thats my favourite bit. again, if he were the complete article he wouldnt be playing for us. however, hes come on leaps and bounds from the start of last season, and hes capable of scoring goals from everywhere now. as he is showing. The consistency seems to be here this season.

But my biggest gripe - and one people continue to stick up for him for - is his woeful concentration levels. I don't know whether he just gets lazy, or thinks too far ahead - but he does these really good bits of play and then he just gives it away.

Woeful is incredibly harsh, yes he has moments where he gets decisions wrong but every player in the division does. hes no worse than any of the comparable options.

If you watched Madine on Saturday - he didn't have a great game at all - but he very rarely lost possession. The same is often the case with Nuhiu, but there's little scraps of play where he just does a sloppy pass, or takes too long with the ball, or a poor touch and the opposition have it back.

It'd be okay if he wasn't our apparent focal point of our attack - and the guy who sets the attacks up. If instead we played through midfield and built from there it wouldn't be a problem at all. But it doesn't. We play when Nuhiu has the ball at his feet.

Nuhiu is on the field far longer than madine, natuarally hes going to lose the ball slightly more often. yet again, nobody whos the finished article and doesnt give the ball away is playing championship level football. Nuhiu is again, no worse than any of the names youve compared him to.

Nuhiu is linking our play up, every team has a central pivot that the team flows through, its usually a centre midfielder but its also often a striker. as it stands, weve lacked options to really give us alternative routes but im confident with the new signings this will improve. its still not a huge issue.

He isn't fast or efficient enough to utilise the ball in a passing side. He isn't fast enough to stretch defences when the play is mainly in the middle third. He can't play as a box goalscorer. He can't run the channels due to his lack of pace.

Pace isnt his game, so he doesnt need to be able to run channels. plus, the way Gray sets us up, that isnt his job. I do seriously think you are misjudging his ability as a goalscorer, and how much ground he covers.

He will never be outstanding. He won't get us promoted. He won't ever come anywhere close to playing in the Premier League for another team. Just an average Championship striker - one of those players the fans like because he ran about a lot and did some nice touches but largely was ineffective - while on the odd occasion he caused some decent teams problems with his height.

i think we are down to the crux of it here. You are banging on about premiership chasing sides, currently we are still a team operating on a lower championship budget who ordinarily would be doing well to reach mid table. Nuhiu represents a bargain basement signing who is over performing, and we might have landed ourselves a real bargain. Ultimately, what he brings to the table is going to be more than enough for where we currently are, and if we have any aspirations i completely agree we will need better - not just nuhiu, but the large majority of our squad. However, we have no money, we cant afford to sign the types of players that you seem to think we should be swapping Nuhiu for.

Between 27th February and 24th April 1991, in the midst of the best goalscoring season of his career when he finished with 32 strikes, David Hirst failed to score in 12 of 13 games. In October and November of that same season, he also failed to score in 6 consecutive matches.

Are you suggesting Hirst had a goal drought?

Because If memory serves me, Hirst was out injured during that time.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Played in 41 out of 46 League games that season.

Just looking through the stats

The stats suggest he played 39 out of 46, and had 2 games on the bench

The stats also say he played 52 games scoring 29 goals

I was under the impression he scored 32

I remember he had a long spell out injured, but these stats suggest otherwise

He missed one of our 10 games in the league cup

And played all 4 of our F.A.Cup games

So according to that he missed 8 games, I always thought it was more than that.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Time for some to remember that he wears the blue and white stripes with pride.

He wears blue and white stripes because we pay him more than anyone else was prepared to do........and if you think for one minute he wouldn't be pushing for a move, even across the City, if someone was willing to pay him more then you are sadly mistaken (as would nearly all the other players to be fair)

But for all those managers who have said he was unplayable etc, strangely enough none of them tried to buy him in the window

Just looking through the stats

The stats suggest he played 39 out of 46, and had 2 games on the bench

The stats also say he played 52 games scoring 29 goals

I was under the impression he scored 32

I remember he had a long spell out injured, but these stats suggest otherwise

He missed one of our 10 games in the league cup

And played all 4 of our F.A.Cup games

So according to that he missed 8 games, I always thought it was more than that.

think it was 32 in all competitions hoots.

Didn't we bomb out the FA at Cambridge that year?

Edited by Lord Snooty

He wears blue and white stripes because we pay him more than anyone else was prepared to do........and if you think for one minute he wouldn't be pushing for a move, even across the City, if someone was willing to pay him more then you are sadly mistaken (as would nearly all the other players to be fair)

But for all those managers who have said he was unplayable etc, strangely enough none of them tried to buy him in the window

Didn't hear of any saying he was unplayable. Real handful seemed to be the phrase. Perhaps they are happy with their summer recruitment and aren't looking for strikers. Perhaps they did enquire but were turned down. Doesn't really matter; he's doing a good job for us and Gray clearly rates him.

Is there anybody on here who wouldn't consider moving jobs if a competitor approached you and offered more money? Why should footballers be any different?

You've skirted round the point though. Nuhiu has limitations, just like every footballer outside the cream of the elite, but no more so than players at his level. He's doing a job and with him in the side we've started really well. So why the constant criticism from people on here? Most of it frankly looks like swimming against the tide for the sake of it.

Where's the off button?