Is it really true

Guest Fedor

Guest Fedor

We won again on Saturday playing 4-4-2.

It can't be true can it, not with all the experts on here saying we need to pack the midfield and go 4-5-1and not get over run

"in the modern game".

SG will play a system that is designed to exploit the weaknesses in the opposition... whether thats 442 or 351 etc. He appears to set his teams up to exploit the oppositions weaknesses and nullify their attacking threat instead of uncle dave who just set the team up to nullify everything. In SG we trust!

All you need is confidence
A little thing called confidence
There’s no job too immense when you’ve got
Confidence

With a c and an o and an n and an f
And an I and a d and an ence
Put ’em all together and what have you got

Confidence
Confi ..... confi .... confidence

Guest Fedor

We also lost against Wigan, Derby and Charlton playing 442...........

Completely missing the point

4-5-1 vs Derby

SG will play a system that is designed to exploit the weaknesses in the opposition... whether thats 442 or 351 etc. He appears to set his teams up to exploit the oppositions weaknesses and nullify their attacking threat instead of uncle dave who just set the team up to nullify everything. In SG we trust!

Do hope we don't ever play 3-5-1, I know we're on a good run of form but we don't need to take the wee wee by only playing with 10 players!

Guest Fedor

aye.

Leicester and Burnley also won with a 442 formation. unbelievable jeff

451 is great if youve got the right players, but its not some holy grail for winning matches. Just a current fashion, like 'wing backs' were.

The irony being all the experts on here probably subscribe to 4-4-2 magazine.

Surely each game is different, and as such the manager will set the team up accordingly. I don't agree with having 3/4 different formations as it confuses the players if they're constantly switching, but surely having Plan A and B is to be applauded. It's not like we've given many managers that credit in the past.

Plus, 4-5-1 is so flexible in that if it appears to be a mistake, its ease to switch to a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 so long as the players on the pitch can adapt from attacking midfield to striker for example.

We won again on Saturday playing 4-4-2.

It can't be true can it, not with all the experts on here saying we need to pack the midfield and go 4-5-1and not get over run

"in the modern game".

I would say that we did the "two banks of four" thing but had a 4-4-1-1 formation with the second forward was playing a bit deep until Nuhiu came on at which point, we definitely were playing 4-4-2.

We did score the winning goal (and actually looked like we could score) when we played 4-4-2. I thought we looked a bit toothless when playing 4-4-1-1, we weren't getting behind Boro's defence and the ball kept coming back every time we played it forward. All credit to Stuart Gray for going to 4-4-2 as this occupied Boro's centre-halves more. Credit must begiven to Nuhiu also. Not only for his nerve to take and score the penalty but also for his hold-up play.