Steve Darby interview

Guest Big Guns

What do you think about that though BG? A good thing?

No it's not a good thing but it's how it is and it's about time Wednesday fans realised that and pushed for some major spending

Then we wouldn't have people crying about Connor wickham or fryatt it's time to get with the times

if he spent a few more of his millions we wouldnt be in this mess now its all about spending money modern football

But he did spend his millions when we were about to get a beheading from the taxman, since then he's continued to invest, unfortunately some of that investment was wasted by a poor appointment - DJ !

It's not just about spending money, any idiot can do that, it's about spending money wisely FFS, check out the Rangers thread to see just how well chucking money away without any balance can get you...

You must be loved in your local, always buying everyone a round and never allowing anyone to get you one back.. Keep on spending tho' don't disappoint anyone..

Guest Big Guns

But he did spend his millions when we were about to get a beheading from the taxman, since then he's continued to invest, unfortunately some of that investment was wasted by a poor appointment - DJ !

It's not just about spending money, any idiot can do that, it's about spending money wisely FFS, check out the Rangers thread to see just how well chucking money away without any balance can get you...

You must be loved in your local, always buying everyone a round and never allowing anyone to get you one back.. Keep on spending tho' don't disappoint anyone..

And who's saying it shouldn't be spent wisely ?

So many fans were lost because of this period.

Annoys me when players like Sibon are put up on a pedestal.

Agree totally. See below

A lot of them were on long contracts and sadly the only club daft enough to buy them was us.

Exactly.

But surely it was part of the coaches and management job to make sure they worked their rounduns off or got out of the club.

There are ways with getting away with it though aren’t there?

Cutting corners on the fitness training. Making sure your first lap is a slow one so that it’s easy to show improvement without really having to make any effort.

Turning the gears down on the stationary bikes. Knocking the weights off when no one is looking.

Not sprinting for thru balls and feigning knocks.  “I can’t do the running boss, what with this hamstring, but I think I’ll be ok for the 5 a sides and some shooting”.

You could say they should all have been dropped, but most will have been on tied appearance money anyway and got paid whether they played or not.

And like as not most of the lazy ones were also technically the best and players we relied on to produce something.

We could have got rid of them, and I’m sure that all the managers in that period will have tried.

But how ?

Football is a small community. People know what goes off at other clubs. No one would willingly pay for a player everyone knows is unprofessional, doesn’t try a leg, is a bad influence on young players and is on astronomical money on lengthy deals for doing sweet FA.

And with the club being bled dry already there was no money to get replacements in.

And if they could get players in who did want to work hard it’s likely they would have been cheaper lower end players, and no doubt the managers would have got heckled for dropping the big name  â€˜Popular with the fans’ heroes.  Imagine the outrage if they had been dropped.

A no win situation for at least 4 of our managers and a very sad time for our club and indictment of the way football at that time had the potential for turning.

The thing is about Sibon, yes he was lazy, yes he wasn't interested unless he wanted to be............

But............

He was by far, still the best player/performer and top goal scorer two seasons on the trot, from midfield.

What does that say about the others.

Don't know how people can really slate Sibon.

Fair enough he was lazy and looked uninterested when he played, but for at least two seasons he contributed a lot more to the team than any other player in that squad. If my memory he scored 10+ goals for two seasons in a row? And was more than likely our biggest assist contributor.

The best of a painfully bad bunch. He'd be the last person to blame for our form throughout that period.

Guest Big Guns

The thing is about Sibon, yes he was lazy, yes he wasn't interested unless he wanted to be............

But............

He was by far, still the best player/performer and top goal scorer two seasons on the trot, from midfield.

What does that say about the others.

This

Don't know how people can really slate Sibon.

Fair enough he was lazy and looked uninterested when he played, but for at least two seasons he contributed a lot more to the team than any other player in that squad. If my memory he scored 10+ goals for two seasons in a row? And was more than likely our biggest assist contributor.

The best of a painfully bad bunch. He'd be the last person to blame for our form throughout that period.

And this

Teams full of kids and sloggers look for leadership from 'good players'. I'm not on about shouting and balling and organising. I'm on about leading by example.

First in to training. Eating the right things. Looking after himself. Not smoking special fags in 'health spa's at 4am on the morning of a game and grabbing a McDonalds on the way to the ground for breakfast and then strolling around like it had interrupted his weekends plans.

Some players with flair did do some tremendous things. Usually one game a month.

Whilst for the other three or four games the lowly paid workhorses carried them and took the pelters from a frustrated crowd.

Guest Big Guns

who the fooks steve darby? sounds extremely bitter cos hes had to eek out a meagre living in armpits like vietnam........

good point i bet no rumbleer knows who he is but they will pretend they do

don't talk to me about scouting at ours , ,they tell you one thing then do another (example) villa scouted my lad and watched him for two years ,was trial'd for a week and offered a place at their academy if he proved is fitness , wrong decision's by his mother cost him ,(we weren't together at the time)and I didn't find out till later

swfc scouts have been to see him twice on two separate games 3 years apart , the first couldn't wait to get my lad in ,

unfortunately he got injured against Blackburn where the coach said he had some good touches before he was injured 25 minuits in , nothing heard for two years then told he was to old at the time of his trial ,development squad then se sent a scout out sometime later as he was old enough for the squad , scout was very fair on the one occasion he came ,gave the lad some good reviews and said it was like putting my lad on a Skegness donkey and asking him to win the national and would like to watch the lad against better opposition , which was fair enough ,then nothing again for a few months,when I contacted the youth development officer ,the scout had told him there was no one up to swfc standard ,so I was told a load of bollux by the scout in the first place ,or he dosent know what he is on about ,

and please don't think just because i'm his dad I say he deserves a place that's just not so, as better people than me who are up in the game can't believe he is still in amateur football ,this,is not sour grapes by the way I,m just a bit bewilder'd by it all ,

I really disliked Sibon, loads of talent but a flipping waster.

John Pearson tells a story about Sibon being told to get in the gym and do weights by the manager at the time (Turner?) and his reply was 'i don't have to, I'm a millionaire'.

Complete w@nker.

Guest Big Guns

I'm not surprised. We really were a shambles back then...and people try to compare our current situation to that era. lol

explain why were not still a shambles