Steve Darby interview

Don't think there's that much here in that interview that we didn't already know.Even at the time the rumours circulated.

Very bad times those.

I've never booed a Wednesday player. It's not in my nature. But watching some of those players in that period stealing a living is about as near as I've ever come to wanting to.

Terry Yorath, Peter Shreeves and Paul Jewell were battling against the financial position before I came .  They had a lot of players signed during the Premiership days on high salaries who couldn’t or wouldn’t’ be moved on.  From what I heard and saw, a number weren’t interested in playing or training.

The difficulties for all those managers were insurmountable.

Peter Shreeves inherited a squad of players who had three years on their contracts who weren’t doing the business. While managers came and went, these players stayed

Chris Turner

"We had to try and get them out but the deals they were on…..bloody hell.

I fixed him (De Bilde) up with three months on loan at Aston Villa with a view to a permanent move but when I called him in to tell him, he said: ' I've got nobody to look after my dogs if I go there'.

I said, 'Give us your house keys, I'll feed the bloody dogs'. That was the sort of thing I was up against. I couldn’t get rid of them."

Paul Jewell

Times may not be great now. There are lot's of things that can be improved.

But I do feel we're at the footings of a mountain putting our gear on ready for a steady climb rather than that horrible feeling back then as we fell like twigs in an inevitable and unstoppable avalanche that we could all see coming down the football slopes.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Peter Shreeves inherited a squad of players who had three years on their contracts who weren’t doing the business. While managers came and went, these players stayed

Chris Turner

Who gave them the long contracts? Serious question, I was out of the country at the time so my Wednesday history for that period is lacking.

so much has to come out about what imo was rank bad, some may allegedly say scandalous management top to bottom of the club during those years - absolute disgrace and they got off scot free some still even sit in the directors' box 

Chris Turner

Who gave them the long contracts? Serious question, I was out of the country at the time so my Wednesday history for that period is lacking.

I have no idea who was in charge of the actual deals. Though it was at that time that managers were being eased out of the actual negotiations.

I have a feeling they were the last works of Sir Dave before his promotion to the Premier League Board as Chairman in late '99.

Certainly he was there when Wilson was given the 'spend the £5m quick or it's gone' board. Which saw the rushed signings of De Bilde and Sibon.

Who the chief executive was at the time I don't know. I think Mackrell had possibly already departed for West Ham.

Chris Turner

I have no idea who was in charge of the actual deals. 

Certainly it was DR in this case.

There's loads of these stories...

WIM JONK will take his appearance money to a staggering  Â£80,000 this afternoon - despite becoming Hillsborough's invisible man. 

The former Dutch World Cup star will bank another £5,000 for missing his 14th game of the season against Norwich as Paul Jewell looks to maintain his mini-revival at the club. 

And Wednesday will have to keep throwing away cash they cannot afford on the Dutchman for another three months, while the 32-year-old recovers from an operation on a damaged groin muscle. 

Jonk has the extra payment written into his contract, which has to be handed over on top of his £12,000-a-week basic salary unless he is dropped by manager Jewell. 

After figuring in the first two games of the season against Huddersfield and Wolves, the £2.5million signing from PSV Eindhoven 18 months ago has become the costliest waste of money in Jewell's squad. 

The transfer-listed midfielder turned down a loan move to Chelsea a month ago and Jewell has made it clear that he wants Jonk out of the club. But now his spending power is being hampered by the crazy contract the club's former chairman Dave Richards agreed when Jonk signed for Danny Wilson. 

Despite the extra problems created by Jonk, his influence has not been missed as Jewell continues to turn the corner after a difficult start to the season. 

The 3-1 midweek victory at Watford was a terrific boost after the disappointment of their heavy defeat at Crystal Palace last Saturday. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Unbelievable the amount of stick Sibon is getting.

He may have been a bellend but he carried that team for the best part of two years.

Sibon gets stick as a reaction to some of our fans who seem to regard him as some kind of icon. I've even heard him referred to as a club legend. In truth, he had a worse goalscoring record than Shefki Kuqi. And 3 games out of 4 he was about as useful as a gangly lamppost.

He was by no means our worst player, maybe even one of our best of that very poor era, but no other Wednesday player in my lifetime has been so undeservedly revered.

i remember driving a minibus to Gillingham the day before Hirstys testimonial, we got batterd and lost 2-0, i don't think we had a shot at goal, Sibon was lucky to get off alive down the tunnel in the corner by the away end, in the next few away games, especially Preston and Burnley, he was sung about as the white Kanu, inconsistent performer? you could say that