how did you start watching wednesday

I was the fourth child in my family to a Wednesdayite father. However I was the first one who he ever encouraged to get into football.

...and I think it was solely down to the 91 cup final.

My Dad used to go to home and away games in the 60's and 70's but for some reason drifted away and only watched from a distance. I always remember him watching them on the tele and listening to the radio every game as I was growing up. However during the 91 cup run I think the romance really started to bite again. The match after the Chelsea semi was WBA at home and my Dad decided to take me to my first game as a 9 year old.

....the rest is history. Even though it's 22 years ago, I still remember coming under the Herries Rd arches for the first time and seeing the kop - first ever time seeing it unbelievably. The kop in full swing, great team. We went a few more times that season and until the last few years when his health isnt what it was, we went together a few times a year. Once I was old enough I went with groups of friends.

Shudder to think who I would have been supporting (if at all) if it wasnt for that special season.

All Bob Boulders fault, failed to collect a back pass which bobbled on a divet and I think Ronnie Moore scored (a historian will confirm)

I should have known then the heartbreak in store

Remember that match

FA cup first round replay 1978, beat scunny 1-0 with a goal from Ian Nimmo, I was 8 and my old man took me, he got the Wednesday bug when his dad took him to Hillsborough to watch an exciting young player called JImmy Greaves.

Unfortunately Jim couldn't hold his booze and never made it as a pro.

Same time as me, approximately Trev. Lincoln City at home in 1956 or '57. We beat them 5-2 (apparently). My dad was from Ecclesfield, and my mum's family, although from the Hope valley were all Wednesday, so there was only one place for me. They really did pass you down to the front of The Kop, over the heads of the adults, didn't they. The thing I remember, being only five or six, was the noise. I found it quite scary, but I was hooked, and have been hooked ever since.

they did wolfie scared me to death the first time it happen'd mate , just enjoyed the ride after that ,health and safety would have a fit nowadays , lol

Dad took my Brother and I to see Luton at Home in 82 I think it was. 3-3 draw. I've never lived in Sheffield (Dad had moved to Newcastle for work), so if it hadn't been for him I'd support some one else I suppose, but I can't even imagine it.

My little ones who are both American are already being trained as Wednesdayites, poor little buggers.

Dad took me when I was 7, I genuinely thought that Beckham played for Wednesday and that we played in red and white at the time because I knew nothing of football. Then I went to one game because my Dad thought I'd enjoy it and boy did it hook me! I was in awe of the Kop, the atmosphere and the feeling of being at a football match that I felt so proud, excited, amazed and inspired (obviously as a 7 year old those feelings came out like ARGAHGAHAGHAGHAGHGHH). I got into playing football the same year and picked it up naturally playing it for years, and went to games regularly ever since. It was a magic moment that I'll never forget and like most it was my dad.

I still remember one of the last thing I ever said to my granddad before he died, he could hardly speak and I didn't understand how ill he was. I took him my Wednesday programme that I had bought at my first ever match the following week. I showed him it and he just smiled with a huge grin and nodded, 'good lad'. I feel teary every time I think of that moment, an induction into the Wednesday family.

Guest Phoenix

3rd generation Owls fan, even though I was brought up near London and went to school with Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal fans my entire childhood. Of course it was my dad who instilled Wednesday into me from a young age. One of my earliest memories was an FA Cup 7-1 thrashing of Grimsby Town ( lol ) in like 1997 - we were 4-0 up and I was desperately bugging my dad to buy me the latest keepers jersey (Pressman was my hero back then!). He said if we scored at least 7 then he would. Gutted for him.

Still got all my kiddies kits back at my parent's house somewhere!

Edited by Phoenix

neither of my parents where from sheffield so i wasn't really sure which team to support but after David Grant and another player came up to Greenhill school in the mid 70's and asked me who i supported i could only give one answer and have stuck with the owls ever since.

OK, my Grandad went to see United in the 1936 FA Cup final, my Dad was born on Sheldon Street and for years they lived on John Street. Then they moved further up Sharrow Lane, my dad used to go to both grounds in the late 50's / early 60's, but far more preferred playing sport to watching it and had got out of the habit before i was born (1966)

I first got interested in watching football in the early 70's (on TV) and even more unfortunate than becoming a Unitedite, I became a fan of Dirty Leeds and saw my first ever game at Bramall Lane (many apologies) SU vs LU (again apologies).

Now, here's the fortunate part, the same season, 74-75 ( I believe) a mates Dad took us all to see a reserve game at Hillsborough, this is when I realised that my three best mates were all Wednesdayites. So, when I got old enough to go on my own, rather than walk the 5 minutes down Sharrow Lane, I chose to catch the 97 bus to Hillsborough, and the rest is history.

Edited by sharrowl

all my family are owls but the problem i had was my dad swore blind he would never go again after he went to every one of 1966 cup matchs and didint get a ticket for final ,he watched in a telly shop window in london,he stuck to this to his dying day.so when i was 7 my uncle (johnny)started taking me ,we went in uncoverd seats.when i was 12 my mates dad stated to take us to away games on old supporters club coachs from ground,then at age of 14 we where allowed to go on our own on same coachs and to hillsboro.15 we started to go away with darnall owls and sneak a couple of halfs in woodburn (happy days) then later on i started to run coachs firstly from new crown at handsworth and then george at woodhouse,these where in our top time of wembly visits etc,many top lads went with us ,interesting if any of you are on here

Dad started to take me when I was 6 or 7 on the kop, on the sloping wall down the left hand side as you look at the pitch. He would hold on to me with one (dead, probably) arm and we would see roughly the same people all the season. My first game was Blackpool a 2-0 (or 2-1) win. The team with Ray Blackall in it. THE HAPPIEST OF DAYS!!!!

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

Wednesday chose me in the late 80's. I've no connection to Sheffield or to Wednesday in my family.

My dad was a Liverpool fan and my grandad was a Newport County fan.

My earliest football memories are of watching Newport County and not being impressed by it at all.

Whilst I was a kid everyone seemed to support the likes of Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal but I didn't know who to support.

And I wanted to be different didn't want to support any of the teams everyone else seemed to support.

And so I became a Wednesday fan after watching them play against Liverpool in the late 80's.

I remember watching football on the TV with my grandad from the age of 6 or 7 and Wednesday hooked me after seeing

them impress on the TV highlights against Liverpool despite losing and been a loyal supporter ever since through the highs and many lows.

Through the lows I've had to endure plenty of jibes from Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal fans during our decline

but I was always stick up for our proud history and I've been saying to them for years and years how we'll come back and how the top flight is easier without us. lol

Edited by Sweet&TenderOwl

AT Blundell Park in the Grimsby end as a 7y/o EARLY 80s (had been to 1 or 2 Grimsby games already)

but this time vs SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY.

all I remember is the 'massive' in the Osmond stand (away end) and the adjoining corner,

GY town 1-0 up most of the game but the massive still made loadsa noise,

owls equalised last minute, scrambled in at the far post from a corner (Megson I think)

an the noise from the away end was incredible.

approx. 5 yrs later (kop was roofed) 12 of us on the train from Grimsby (first time without parents)

to MAN u VS stoke at old Trafford. train waiting ten mins in Sheffield

an one lad (owls fan) says "WEDNESDAY @ home to liv'poo l today, i'm getting off the train, anyone coming?"

without hesitation me an a mate went with him, went in standing kop for a 2-2 draw. (owls was 2-0 up)  

great atmosphere - WTID ever since.

All Bob Boulders fault, failed to collect a back pass which bobbled on a divet and I think Ronnie Moore scored (a historian will confirm)

I should have known then the heartbreak in store

Bit harsh blaming Bolder for that. :biggrin:

The ball was heading comfortably towards his welcoming arms before that divot sent it sideways.