how did you start watching wednesday

all my family are owls but the problem i had was my dad swore blind he would never go again after he went to every one of 1966 cup matchs and didint get a ticket for final ,he watched in a telly shop window in london,he stuck to this to his dying day.so when i was 7 my uncle (johnny)started taking me ,we went in uncoverd seats.when i was 12 my mates dad stated to take us to away games on old supporters club coachs from ground,then at age of 14 we where allowed to go on our own  on same coachs and to hillsboro.15 we started to go away with darnall owls and sneak a couple of halfs in woodburn (happy days) then later on i started to run coachs firstly from new crown at handsworth and then george at woodhouse,these where in our top time of wembly visits etc,many top lads went with us ,interesting if any of you are on here

My old man took me on my 6th birthday - I had just got into football and my hero from the TV was Keegan. He decided I needed educating on SWFC and proper live football.

He also took me down the Lane over the next couple of years to watch the Pigs v Scousers games, I saw 3 of the worst games ever and as he says these days it was done to show me the light

So it was a family thing - no Blades ever disgraced our family and never will

My grandparents used to sit me on Saturday mornings and my grampa and I watched 'soccer' every weekend morning. One game we saw was Coventry vs Wednesday circa 1998 and Benni Carbone attempted some freak bycicle kick out of nothing and rang it off the bar from about 6 yards out. Instant favourite prem player, and naturally Wednesday became my favourite club. No reason to bail on a club during its bad times, the inner hipster in me wouldnt allow it.

Guest Fulham Fox

With both eyes closed!

No seriously, I was 5 in the Upper West and fell asleep and asked to go home (bit like some others on here I suspect :biggrin:)

Then went down to uncovered seats (South) and asked shareholders who got 2 seats in those days if I could use their spare ticket.

I could never stay at home on match days as the roar of the Kop was clearly audible in our house and I would have felt I was missing out

If no spares, then had to wait until nearly half time and then get in through the emergency exit on Leppings Lane end.

I used to think a box was what shoes came in..

my dad in 1956 , he was killed in a mining accident a year later ,kept up the tradition with my uncle until old enough to travel myself always ept the faith ,moaned and groaned about the downsides , but will remain wednesday until my last breath ,

Coming from a family of Blades I was taken to the Lane , 3 sided with a cricket pavillion , just felt nowt for it. Went to Hillsborough for a mates 9th birthday as a treat with him and his dad and it just felt so right. Proper ground with a cantilever stand, electric scoreboard and the Kop just seemed massive to a young lad and I was hooked. Although the team was going into decline it was as others have said on here 'you don't choose Wednesday, Wednesday choose you'. Even the amount of grief I took from my family during the dark days of the seventies, when Utd were the better side , I knew I was right. Right up to his dying day my father couldn't believe I was a Owl and often told me he couldn't have been more disappointed if I'd told him I was gay.

WAWAW

WTID

Guest Harry the Owl

All my familly's Wednesday, had Wednesday shirts from a young age. Didn't really go to many games though so didn't have a strong allegiance. Came home from school one day when i was about 5 and told my dad I supported Leeds. That was that.

My family are more or less 50/50 split between Wednesday and United. I'm not sure if I ever went to a United game but went to see Wednesday in the late 90s a few times. I got a season ticket for the first time in the early 00s and went with a friend and his Dad for maybe 3 or 4 seasons. I went off football for a while, stopped playing, didn't watch very often, and I've just got back in to it since moving to Birmingham nearly two years ago. I enjoy it more than I have in years.

Coming from a family of Blades I was taken to the Lane , 3 sided with a cricket pavillion , just felt nowt for it. Went to Hillsborough for a mates 9th birthday as a treat with him and his dad and it just felt so right. Proper ground with a cantilever stand, electric scoreboard and the Kop just seemed massive to a young lad and I was hooked. Although the team was going into decline it was as others have said on here 'you don't choose Wednesday, Wednesday choose you'. Even the amount of grief I took from my family during the dark days of the seventies, when Utd were the better side , I knew I was right. Right up to his dying day my father couldn't believe I was a Owl and often told me he couldn't have been more disappointed if I'd told him I was gay.

WAWAW

WTID

:tango:  Brilliant. Mine was an uncle who tried to convert me to Dingleism and after a ripping 0-0 draw against Bournemouth, I got the Burroughs Bus from Wombwell one damp Wednesday night to see us get beat 1-0 by Rotherham in the League Cup [66/7 season I think]. The scale and newness of it all was gobsmacking after seeing Barnley's Coal heap kop [yep, really]. Been going ever since. Never missed until '75 when I had to move abroad with work.

WTID

Edited by sten

I have no connection with Sheffield at all really. I just started watching football as a kid when Waddle and Hirst played for us, and it stuck... Especially after the 'Waddle' game against West Ham.

As a Birmingham lad, I could have done a lot lot worse!!

my dad in 1956 , he was killed in a mining accident a year later ,kept up the tradition with my uncle until old enough to travel myself always ept the faith ,moaned and groaned about the downsides , but will remain wednesday until my last breath ,

Same time as me, approximately Trev. Lincoln City at home in 1956 or '57. We beat them 5-2 (apparently). My dad was from Ecclesfield, and my mum's family, although from the Hope valley were all Wednesday, so there was only one place for me. They really did pass you down to the front of The Kop, over the heads of the adults, didn't they. The thing I remember, being only five or six, was the noise. I found it quite scary, but I was hooked, and have been hooked ever since.

Guest Harry the Owl

My brother started it. 8 years older than me he started going, then I started going with him when I was 8.

Lost first game to Rotherham 1-0 I cried all the way home. From that point onwards saturday = wednesday games.

When I was really young I couldn't sleep Friday nights I was that excited for the following day. Life was so simple then. Brilliant memories

On occasions i cry on my way home from Hillsborough. 

Like so many it was my dad who took me to my first match.

He was a Londoner and a a hammers supporter coming from East Ham himself.  He and my mum moved up up to Sheffield in 1955 to become the landlord and lady of The Bradway. As you will know that was much closer to Bramhall Lane than Hillsborough but being a hammer my old man knew where he had to go to see proper football.

First game he took me to watch was Wednesday v Spurs in the 60-61 season when we were runners up to Double winning Spurs team.  Well Wednesday won 2-1 and the whole noise, and smell and excitement of it all was utterly overwhelming. Next season he bought us two season tickets in the North - Block B Row 4 and that was it, hooked for life thank God.

Made sure that I followed the same pattern with my son, who is also a lifer now.  It'll be interesting to see what he does with his son because he now lives and works in  London. Only hope he takes him to Hillsborough first but if not then maybe to see WHU; at least there be a sense of completing the circle if he becomes a hammer. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: