how did you start watching wednesday

Coming from a family of Blades I was taken to the Lane , 3 sided with a cricket pavillion , just felt nowt for it. Went to Hillsborough for a mates 9th birthday as a treat with him and his dad and it just felt so right. Proper ground with a cantilever stand, electric scoreboard and the Kop just seemed massive to a young lad and I was hooked. Although the team was going into decline it was as others have said on here 'you don't choose Wednesday, Wednesday choose you'. Even the amount of grief I took from my family during the dark days of the seventies, when Utd were the better side , I knew I was right. Right up to his dying day my father couldn't believe I was a Owl and often told me he couldn't have been more disappointed if I'd told him I was gay.

WAWAW

WTID

:-)

Proof that Darwin was right

I chose football really rather than being pushed. From being young my dad always tried to get me involved in team sports as I was very shy (crap in social situations (geeky)) so he thought he get me playing sport. I played rugby for a good few years before football and it was cheaper for him to take me to watch the eagles with 2 kids than take me and my sister to Hillsborough. But I really got into football during Euro 96 when I would've been 9 loved the England games and I cried when Southgate missed his pen. Before this I'd been taken to Bramall Lane with free tickets from school but didn't really think much of it.

But my first Wednesday game was the first home game of the 96-97 season straight after euro 96 all the flags were still up and ground seemed massive and compact in comparison to what I was used to (Don Valley for Eagles games), I loved Wednesday and Hillsborough from then. I still couldn't go regularly, my dad knew I loved going but they never said it but looking back we didn't go regularly as they couldn't afford it and the games I went to between 96 and 2000 were odd treats(my parents alwasy made sure we didn't go without but rightly so when money was tight £40-£50 for my dad and me and my sister to go to Hillsborough was out of the question). And I continued to go to Don Valley watching the Eagles that was affordable for my dad and I enjoyed it too there I was a ballboy for a couple of seasons. But throughout that time I continued my love of Wednesday and as I got older I became more enthusiastic towards football and was older so of an age (11) where as I knew some older kids from my area my parents allowed me to go with them to the games from 2000.

Going to the games with my new mates it was great we went all over for a couple of years on away trips some good memories, Walsall, Birmingham,Rotherham, Stockport, watford, Grimsby, Burnley, Birmingham, just no name a few my mum was worried the time we were going to Millwall, no issues there though and one time we went down to Gillingham and found out when we were in London that the game was off. Wednesday or any team isn't just about football, if anything any football club doesn't just appeal because of the football it's an oppurtunity to spend time with mates and have a laugh. The football during these years was pretty poor but I had some great laughs. Then as the years have gone by I now still have my season ticket on the Kop and I always hope to see a good game but whether the game is good or not I enjoy the company of my best mate and his dad and the fellow fans around us we've got to know. Don't have my dad's company at many games anymore these days but will be bringing him along for the palace game as my £10 guest, will persuade him to get a season ticket one day.

I'm not 100% certain, but think school ran a trip there, Teacher Mr Herbert was a mad owl so it had to be there. Didnt go for a while after that as my dad was a Miller, but it was still in me.

Mate of mine from Maltby comp moved up near Hillsborough in the mid 80's so I used to stay over on weekends and go to the matches with him and his dad.

my dad in 1956 , he was killed in a mining accident a year later ,kept up the tradition with my uncle until old enough to travel myself always ept the faith ,moaned and groaned about the downsides , but will remain wednesday until my last breath ,

Trev, Did your dad work at Creswell ?

My dad's family were all Wednesday and he took me to Hillsborough for my 10th birthday (a 1-1 draw against Port Vale). It was like that scene in Fever Pitch when the kid first enters Highbury, I climbed the steps and saw the inside of the stadium and the pitch and fell in love with the place. Up until then I had been following Liverpool, probably as they were the only team on telly at the time.

My dad was ill over Xmas and we missed watching Town play. I was 11 and just wanted to see some football. He found only local game on New Years Day was Wednesday V Man City, We won 2-0, Hirst played in goal and i was a hooked. Turned all my family from town fans to Wednesday Fans and now am doing the same in Caterham!

A bloke that will be well known by some on here, called Billy Page first took me. His mother, Mary, used to have a season ticket with him, towards the Kop end on the North Stand.

They used to take me whenever they could and I used to bloody love that feeling when the ground came into view on Penistone Rd. Got me hooked at an early age and forever more!

UTO!

I had no connection with Sheffield as a teenager, went to Hillsborough in November 1960 to watch the undefeated Spurs play the Owls. Stood on a packed Kop and with 56,000 others saw a brilliant display from the Owls. Hardly missed a home game since.

You jammy so-and-so. :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

I am Bolton born and bred, however for a short time between 1989-93 I lived in Scarborough. I used to go to all the Scarborough home games for a while, then when in my first job I had a mate who was a Sheffield United fan so I went to Bramall Lane a couple of times with him  :ph34r:

Shortly after I had passed my driving test and developing a liking for the city of Sheffield i decided to go to Hillsborough and watch a Sheffield Wednesday game, this was in late 1990 against Notts County. Before the game had even got to halftime I knew that I had found "my team" and that I would bleed blue and white for the rest of my life.

Interestingly in 2000 back in Bolton I had a chance meeting online with a woman who lived in Southampton but was originally from Sheffield and was from a family of Wednesdayite. That same person then moved up to Bolton so we could live together and a couple of years later get married.

My Dad is an Owl, so was his dad. Took me when I was eight in 83. Went a few times a year with him and my brother for the rest of the 80s. Started going on our own and with friends in late 80s\ early 90s. Moved to uni in Birmingham in 93 and kind of lost interest for a while.

Don't know why but started going again in late 90s and lots during the grim years of the early 00's. Gone full circle now as I usually meet my brother and Dad for home games a few times a year. Living just outside Birmingham still but means there are usually a few localish away games I can manage each year also.