Were we not in Europe in 1991/92 season? and if so why not?

Ive just been looking at some old season reviews on youtube and i've only just realised that we were not playing in Europe during the 1991/92 season even though we won the Rumbelows cup the previous season.

Is there a reason for this?

If I am completely wrong and we did play then I apologise greatly, but if we didn't play then I am intrigued as to why?

UTO!!!

Guest BirdonaMaguire

England didn't have enough UEFA co-efficient points to send the League Cup winners into the Cup Winners Cup.

Thank the Scousers for that.

TBF though Kivo the League Cup was never the entry point for the CWC that was ALWAYS the FA Cup.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

True, still should have been in the UEFA cup though. I would even suggest that nowadays, runners up in two cups and 7th place finish in the league (as in 1993) will always get you in Europe some how

Aye strange we missed out then as well!

The blameless ones are to blame, after their (sorry, fans of other clubs who infiltrated them) escapades in Brussels the resulting ban meant it took years for English clubs to get as many European places as they did until then.

We missed out on what would have been a UEFA Cup place in 1986, and later won the league cup and finished as runners up in the FA Cup but didn't get into Europe as other clubs have done since. We may even have qualified with our several 7th place finishes in the early-mid 90s.

But it's never their fault.

Please don't blame the scouters as it upsets some people on here although maybe we should ask for compensation from them due to their lovely do nothing wrong fans causing us to miss out on at least 2 money spinning seasons in Europe and possibly as many as 5.

Blimey Nev, I never knew that Thatcher had singlehandedly attacked and killed 39 Juventus fans at Heysel! She was to blame for a lot of things (some good, some bad) but how you can pin this one on her I simply don't know!

My recollection is that UEFA banned all English clubs and when a place was finally re-instated in 1990 we had to start earning points all over again to secure further spots.

Prior to the ban I believe we had 5 places in the UEFA cup (one of which went to the League Cup Winners) plus the CWC and European Cup itself.

Edited by Utah Owl

On 31 May, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher put pressure upon the FA to withdraw English clubs from European competition,[17] and two days later UEFA banned English clubs for "an indeterminate period of time". On 6 June FIFA extended the ban to all worldwide matches, but this was modified one week later to allow friendly matches to take place. The ban did not apply to the English national team. English clubs were banned indefinitely from European club competitions.[

On 31 May, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher put pressure upon the FA to withdraw English clubs from European competition,[17] and two days later UEFA banned English clubs for "an indeterminate period of time". On 6 June FIFA extended the ban to all worldwide matches, but this was modified one week later to allow friendly matches to take place. The ban did not apply to the English national team. English clubs were banned indefinitely from European club competitions.[

Do you seriously think we would have escaped a ban anyway? What happened at Heysel was both unprecedented and a national disgrace. English clubs had been wreaking havoc in Europe for years and all of the politicians regardless of party allegiance were sick of our name being dragged through the mud. Had Labour been in power I doubt they would have acted any differently.

The political point scoring is a side issue that is deflecting blame away from the real source of the problem which was out and out hooliganism.

Edited by Utah Owl

its funny how the 2 biggest sporting diasters in recent time have included one set of fans on both occasions yet they have no blame?

its funny how the 2 biggest sporting diasters in recent time have included one set of fans on both occasions yet they have no blame?

Totally agree. Try and get that view heard or published, both locally and nationally - you haven't a chance. I've tried many times with letters and comments and they're never published.

Justice for the 39