An experienced midfielder.

Guest Nejc_Pe�nik

Guest totemowl

Very good suggestion. Barkley reminds me of Watson but he's got a long way to go yet.

I also think we are missing Lines, but not sure how effective he would be.

Certainly the amount of experience we have in the centre of midfield is worrying. McCabe and Barkley could benefit greatly.

We will do well to get someone better than Rhys McCabe, regardless of experience. Even at his young age he shows he can still keep a calm head and doesn't give the ball away

Would do well to get someone with better quality than Barkley as well

So...

Where is this magical (not Semedo FYI), 'experience' midfielder going to come from, because it can't really be a winger as generally if they are 'experienced', that usually means slow...

Those not on the pitch are always great players. Lines did a good job last season but he is not a ball winner or someone who breaks play up. Sadly Semedo has found the step up a struggle so far but he gets no help from the wings

Even I have joined the bandwago clammouring for Lines.

but like you say, the players off the pitch are always great and they don't always offer the solution everyone thinks they will.

If he comes in and we lose, the Lines bandwagon will derail instantly.

Guest Triplej2

Does anyone remember Merson for Wallsall absolutely running the show against us or Barmby for hull (until he took himself off and they turned to sh*t)?

That's what we need, a proper QUALITY footballer with experience and a brain. Someone who the players can look up to, learn from and be marshalled by.

When you look at out midfield can you honestly see them bossing it against anyone other than relegation candidates or teams in disarray?

I think about the upcoming Leeds game and I honestly can't see anything other than a loss because Warnock sides are extrememly clever and organised. We just can't keep going in to these games on a hope and a prayer, hoping for something miraculous and for the other side to have a 'mare. We need solid and creative week in week out and this will not happen until we find such a player as I mentioned above.

Surely DJ has to see this.

Edit: I really don't think Lines is the answer, I saw enough of him in league 1 to tell me he's neat and tidy but doesn't impose himself enough and just doesn't have all the attributes we need. In short i think he's pretty average to be honest.

Edited by Triplej2

Guest Triplej2

I can see the logic in this, but shouldn't Semedo fulfill this role?

Semedo is a workhorse, we need brains, ability and leadership. Semedo actually relinquished captaincy in order to concentrate on his own game which tells its own story.

Even I have joined the bandwago clammouring for Lines.

but like you say, the players off the pitch are always great and they don't always offer the solution everyone thinks they will.

If he comes in and we lose, the Lines bandwagon will derail instantly.

The worry is that Lines will be rushed. He's effectively going to need to do a pre-season, a few practice games and then to be fair to him and for the benefit of player and team, he needs to be phased in gently off the bench. In the recent past we've seen Madine and, even more recently, Bothroyd pitched in too soon to detrimental effect. Two bad games and they're under pressure.

Edited by Dagmeister

Is Steve Watson well know in Slovenia, Nejc???

We always seem to come full circle every season we're doing poorly and land at the "We need an experienced Centre Mid." conclusion.

That said, at the minute I aint got a clue what we need. I was left speechless after Saturday, i can't think of anything we can tweek and make a difference.

That said, at the minute I aint got a clue what we need. I was left speechless after Saturday, i can't think of anything we can tweek and make a difference.

I think thats because at the moment you can argue a case for everything to be changed, we have obvious weaknesses all over the place, nobody is quite sure which one need solving first.

Somebody like Ben Watson of Wigan who is not getting much of a look in would be my idea of a decent loan signing for a month. Without doubt we need someone to help Semedo.

Help Semedo?

I'd say replace Semedo. Been crap this season.

I think a lot of our problems is the way we play, not the players playing. I think our team is much more capable than what it is showing at the moment and what I feel from what I see, is that the players are clearly following instructions. It's not helping there games and it's obviously not getting us results.

Change the way we play and bring the best out of our good players should be the first priority IMO.

I can see the logic in this, but shouldn't Semedo fulfill this role?

he should do but he seems a fairly quiet individual who just goes about his own business, making tackles, breaking up play finding the simple pass. It might not be a bad idea to have someone in there who knows how to manage a game and help out/direct the younger lads (McCabe, Barkley)