Fantastic video of Hillsborough in 1954

This is brilliant . I should have been there . All the kids were given the day off school and along with my brother we were being taken to see the Queen by our Mum . Sadly ,along with some friends , we found messing about on an abandoned lorry in a field to be a more attractive proposition and with no appreciation of time , by the time we got back home it was too late and my mum was furious . What's more . the following day at school we were asked to write about and draw what we had seen when the Queen visited Sheffield - not easy when I'd not seen her .

Like others my first game was in the old North Stand, against Aston Villa I think . My Dad lifted me over the turnstile.

Good to see what I had missed after all these years . Many thanks .

I was four at the time and vaguely remember waving a flag as the cavalcade shot past on Langsett Road (must have been on it's way back from Hillsborough)....I didn't know better then!

I knew nothing about the Hillsborough visit other than my dad saying that Longdons built her a special loo with a velvet seat, she didn't use it and they then knocked it down........one of his tall stories I fancy!

Interesting to see the demonstation on the pitch and it goes to demonstrate how different life was then...the militeristic marching was a obviously a hangover from the war (only nine years earlier of course).

When you consider that the city had been "cleaned" for the visit and the routes carefully chosen it makes you realise just what level of deprevation there was in the area during the fifties and how black the area was.

Anti royalist I may be, but neverthe less, a great piece of footage and an interesting piece of social history.

Edited by lesbarbeux