Remember this lad?

Me too, class player. Did Simon Stainrod make his debut in that game as well?

Pretty sure Stainrod made his debut at Norwich on a Tuesday night. Won a penalty in the last minute which Andy Blair blazed over with the score finishing 1-1.

I saw his debut at Leicester too, technically he was very good, but he wasn't equipped for the hustle and bustle of the English game, back in those days players were allowed to actually go in for tackles, not like today's non contact version of the game.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

One word: Busst.

Yeah I know his break was horrendous, as was the less publicised tackle on our own Ian Knight, but the game has gone too far the other way, good tackling is an art too, and musn't be forced out of the game.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Grahem Souness ended any prospect of him becoming a world class star with a horific tackle in a Scotland v Iceland game.

Correct, Nev.......Siggi was giving him the run around, and you just knew Souness would try and break his leg eventually....flipping hated Souness ever since.

Loved Siggi.....the one player that could have filled Tommy Craigs boots.

Yeah I know his break was horrendous, as was the less publicised tackle on our own Ian Knight, but the game has gone too far the other way, good tackling is an art too, and musn't be forced out of the game.

Plus the busst thing was a freak accident, not from a bad tackle

As a sixteen yearold Siggi had captained his side in Iceland (Akranes, I think) to an Icelandic league, FA Cup and League Cup treble, and I remember reading an article on him in World Soccer at the time we signed him. He was wanted by the top clubs in Italy, Holland and Belgium, but chose Wednesday, over the likes of Ajax, Anderlecht and Juventus because Howard Wilkinnson was the only person to tell him what he could achieve as a player. The other clubs all told him how much he could earn if he signed for them, without mentioning the football side of things.

Wilkinson actually turned him into a weightlifter before selling him to Arsenal, where he had a bad injury, which stopped his progress. He did play for either Dundee or Dundee United though at almost forty years of age.

If he had a manager like dave Jones instead of Howard Wilkinson, who knows what he could've achieved?