He was excellent, especially second half, and I agree with pretty much all that's been said, but he's not on his own in having good and bad games. They've all got it in them.

I thought Antonio was bobar yesterday for example.and despite his god like status for last seasons impact he had some poor games then aswell such as Huddersfield. Not knocking him, just making the point that they cant all be brilliant every week.

JJ was absolutely on fire today. He impressed me also with his determination to win the ball back after losing it, and his fitness levels look great.

If he could shoot on target, he'd be worth a fortune.

It's a while ago since we actually had him on the field at the start of the season, as he always seems to get injured during pre-season and then playing catch-up.

Well done for the square ball to Buxton after the mazy run for our second goal, you actually used your brain for once instead of shooting into the upper tier.

If we actually came out for 90 mins in a game, lord knows what we could achieve. Brilliant yesterday lads, roll on Tuesday and a win for my birthday would be nice please. :biggrin:

So it's unanimous, JJ was amazing yesterday.

One question though...

Do none of you find it frustrating that he creates a clear cut chance out of nothing, then fails to pick out the simpe pass that would almost definitely lead to a goal? Credit where it's due, his dribbling can be spell binding, and he's absolutely rapid. But his decision making is terrible and shots are so wild. Why does he always think that having a random lash at it is a better option than any of his teammates every time? He must have a 1% goal to shots ratio. It's such a shame because he could be a real world beater. As it stands he's great to watch, but rarely effective.

If it wasn't for jj and his end product last season we would still be in league 1 now.....

That's not really true though is it.

If you're thinking that we'd still be there if his goals and contribution were removed, then yes; but then that's assuming we were only allowed to p,lay with 10 men, which would clearly affect any team. If he wasn't playing, someone else would be - i.e. Antonio/Marshall/Treacy. All of which are more effective at achieving an end result.

I didn't post with the intention of suggesting that JJ doesn't have his positive points. I don't want to discredit him as a player. I think he's brilliant at what he does. I just find him frustrating and this thread seems to have nothing but "JJ is the best player ever" type comments.

Guest Big Guns

He stepped up when marshall left and the consistency and end product were there for the run in ,proving his doubters wrong let's hope he can keep it going.

The rashness that JJ has in the game is what makes him JJ.

Seems like an odd thing to say, but I think you sort of have to let JJ do what JJ wants to do (assuming he knows himself half the time).

Sometimes it doesn't work and he looks like a numpty, but heck it can be awesome to watch when he is on fire.

Plus he's 32 now, so he isn't exactly going to iron out all the flaws in his game.

Coming from someone that listens to most games over the net, as soon as the ball reaches JJ I know we're at least going forwards.

Whether that's a dig at the commentary sometimes I don't know, but you instinctively get the feeling that 'something' is going to happen.

Glad most of those somethings were positive yesterday.

One question though...

Do none of you find it frustrating that he creates a clear cut chance out of nothing, then fails to pick out the simpe pass that would almost definitely lead to a goal? Credit where it's due, his dribbling can be spell binding, and he's absolutely rapid. But his decision making is terrible and shots are so wild. Why does he always think that having a random lash at it is a better option than any of his teammates every time? He must have a 1% goal to shots ratio. It's such a shame because he could be a real world beater. As it stands he's great to watch, but rarely effective.

Seems like DJ shares this point of view too. Obviously he recognises the guy's talent and put him in the starting 11, but he was clearly frustrated by his end product and in the post match interview he refused to give JJ the unqualified praise that most are putting his way in this thread.

He may be a relatively 'old dog' but let's hope that he's not too old to learn a few new tricks; hitting the target and making a final telling pass.

Well done JJ - keep improving and you'll be everyone's darling :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One question though...

This at times. The thing is, when he is on song, he'll go on enough runs that he'll still make the right decision and play a killer ball or unleash a good shot enough times to make the difference. If might be only one in 5, but if he makes 10 mazy runs it is still enough.

He was superb (never thought I'd ever write that). I'm one of his biggest critics, mainly because he usually beats about 3 players, gets me out of my seat, then chooses the completely wrong option. His running was tireless, always available for the ball and actually passed to players in positions where they could do some damage. One run in the second half he beat about 4 players and when I expected him to blast it over, he played O'Grady in (I think) who had a great effort on goal. Brilliant JJ hope you keep it up!!

He was quality yesterday, had the beating of his man every time, think he was quite clever aswell, he drifted inside for about 10minutes midway through the 2nd half just to give himself a breather, which meant he was full of energy right up to the final whistle, caused them a lot of problems in the last 10 minutes, really good show.

Do us a favour JJ, keep it up and stay fit, cheers.

The one thing that has stuck out for me is just how much his fitness has improved. He now lasts a full 90mins running at full pelt he really seems up to the challenge and with another winger signed I'm looking forward to him upping his game even more. Great start from JJ long may it continue.

I know I started this thread and he's received a lot of praise and rightly so, but I don't want to build him up too much. We know what he can be like, one of the most frustrating players that we have ever witnessed. However after yesterday's first half you could be forgiven for thinking that JJ was going to have the attitude where he doesn't try or is frustrated and thinks

the games already gone but his drive along with others in the 2nd half won us that point. Hope he can keep this up for longer than he usually manages it.

Edited by TheEnchanter

Slotted into The Championship like an old glove.

He is beyond leagues - he would play the same in The Premier League or Vauxhall Conference.

Thats because he has his own game, he is what he is.

And that Arthur is spot on mate