Woody coming back ?

Guest intercity0wl

He isn't any better than what we already have.That alone is reason enough not to sign him.

Well said Edinburgh.

Whatever happened in the past is completely irrelevant. Bottom line is he's isn't good enough.

It is a matter of public record that Strafford said he offered to make Wood the highest paid defender at the club. This and your quote below are mutually exclusive. So if you believe what you posted is true, then by inference you are very clearly saying that the chairman lied to the press and the fans.

I agree with pretty much all of the rest of your post.

I hadnt read the comment from Lee about making Wood the highest paid defender. I would never infer, if i thought lies were being told, i would just say it. My opinion is that each party believes they were in the right, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Wood probably should have just stayed with us, he could have helped keep us up, in all honesty iceberg Purse sunk everything around him so i cant see what would have changed with Wood.

Facts are i cant see that we need him, no way we should pay a fee for him and certainly cannot see him getting in ahead of Llera, Gardner, Reda or even R jones. That much i think we can both agree on.

Facts are i cant see that we need him, no way we should pay a fee for him and certainly cannot see him getting in ahead of Llera, Gardner, Reda or even R jones. That much i think we can both agree on.

Absolutely. But it was inevitable that the main purpose of this thread would revisit old business.

Yep get him back ,get him and beevers together again ...

Great League 1 standard centre half pairing! Struggled to hold down a place in a very poor relegated side last season, add to this the fact that he has had a serious knee injury and he was a complete poo poohouse engineering a move away, why would we bother?

feck off. greedy, ego-maniac who rates himself too highly.

we have better CB's now

Greedy? He signed for Coventry for exactly the same wage as Wednesday were paying him at the time. Laws treated him very badly, and gave him no option other than to leave. Remember when he slaughtered him in the press, and then played him in that game, where Wood had a stinker, causing the fans to criticise him mercilessly. And as for Wood sh1tting on his boyhood club, as was stated somewhere in this thread, he's from either Dewsbury or Batley, so I doubt Wednesday were ever his boyhood club.

Regardless of why he left though, I wouldn't want him back as he was never much good, and as a twenty year hobbled about like an old man with arthritic knees. The thing that really clinched it for me though, as I've mentioned before was when he was interviewed by Radio Sheffield the night before we played Barnsley, and they asked him if he might struggle against a small striker like (I think it was) John Macken. Wood actually said he'd rather play against smaller forwards, because big old fashioned centre forwards, were big and rough, and he didn't like playing against rough forwards. We don't need a centre half with no balls.

I don't despise him. I just think he is rubbish.

Agreed - i'm sure he's a decent guy and everything

But he's a poor player and i'm staggered if anybody thinks he would be a progressive signing for us in what is shaping up to be an extremely tough division

Watford have just signed Fitz Hall on a free - thats a helluva lot better player and more in keeping with the standard of player required

It's the old "tongue up Strafford's arse" - effected many on here for a while but it was a passing phase and most never mention him now.

Those who appreciate his efforts for the club may have moved on, but clearly those who were jealous and embittered have not.

Was Mr Strafford your teacher or something? Why refer to him like that?

It is called respect.

Something a lot of people do not have these days.

It's the old "tongue up Strafford's arse" - effected many on here for a while but it was a passing phase and most never mention him now.

As you can see here, from Mr rat.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Three problems with this.

1) We don't NEED another CB

2) If we do get one, we must get a RIGHT FOOTED centre back

3) He's throw!

Guest We Shall Overcome

Was Mr Strafford your teacher or something? Why refer to him like that?

get the hand bags out and have a rumble :biggrin: .

Guest pwilkysowls

You're not sure he can be blamed for lying to the chairman, deliberately denying the club several hundred grand in lost transfer fees, possibly securing some of that wedge for himself and his agent in the process, and indirectly contributing somewhat to the club being in the High Court !?

If I'm ever in the dock I hope you're the judge.

im sorry but you are on a mission over the wood transfer

you only got half story but formed your opinion

because its what you want to believe happened

so you think richard wood helped put us on the brink come on get real you are a little deluded and WRONG

Guest pwilkysowls

Richard wood is one of those players that brings out the old tensions and divisions in owlstalk.

seems to me that people's opinion of him is wrapped up in all that past stuff at the time.

He is a good defender who took a bad decision. If he comes bac k- fine by me. But I don't think we need another defender.

im with you pal why all the fuss dont get it myself

im sorry but you are on a mission over the wood transfer

you only got half story but formed your opinion

because its what you want to believe happened

so you think richard wood helped put us on the brink come on get real you are a little deluded and WRONG

Isn't it a matter of public record that we received a seven figure offer from Coventry?

Isn't it a matter of public record that we turned this down because we believed he would sign a new deal with us?

Isn't it a matter of public record that the club offered to make him it's highest paid defender?

Isn't it a matter of public record that we were subsequently forced to sell him for a considerably reduced fee?

Isn't it a matter of public record that the chairman at the time claimed player and agent colluded to engineer these circumstances?

Isn't it a matter of public record that we went to the High Court for a sum not too dissimilar from that which we missed out on in these events (although as I pointed out previously it would be unfair to blame Wood for that as many circumstances came together in that matter that he was only a small part of)?

Forgive me for believing that those things are likely to be true on the balance of the available evidence. Presumably you have evidence to the contrary on one or more of these points?

But while you're making assumptions about my motives and opinions (whilst ironically complaining that I'm doing something similar) perhaps you'd care to note that I have also acknowledged that Strafford largely praised Wood's character and contribution for the club, that Laws apparently did not deal with the situation professionally and that these events should not preclude him from coming back to Hillsborough?

Perhaps you are "on a mission" and believing "what you want to believe" about my opinions and why they were formed?

:dry:

Edited by DJMortimer

To those wanting him back please answer me this:

If he is not good enough to get in the starting XI of a team that was comfortably relegated from the Championship, why is he good enough for us?

Re-signing Richard Wood would show a shocking lack of ambition. Stop being so sentimental.