Woody coming back ?

Guest intercity0wl

Oh do give over.

Handed in a Transfer request as club captain.

Wasn't that good either and we kept conceding numerous goals at the back post where he was loosing his marker IIRC.

come off it. If i was Wood, id have been livid being told that there was no money to pay him extra, then seeing Purse brought in on more money.

Might have been misadvised and might not have reacted the right way, but not sure he can be blamed either.

come off it. If i was Wood, id have been livid being told that there was no money to pay him extra, then seeing Purse brought in on more money.

Might have been misadvised and might not have reacted the right way, but not sure he can be blamed either.

You're not sure he can be blamed for lying to the chairman, deliberately denying the club several hundred grand in lost transfer fees, possibly securing some of that wedge for himself and his agent in the process, and indirectly contributing somewhat to the club being in the High Court !?

If I'm ever in the dock I hope you're the judge.

Even inspite of all of the contract wrangling and transfer request stuff that went on in the past, the fundamental issue I have with us going back in for him is that he couldn't even get in the team at Coventry (he played 17 times for 'em last season) and that was when they were playing badly (and eventually relegated.) That was after spending 3 or 4 seasons with us in the Championship and him never looking that great either.

We're trying to build a squad to get us out of the Championship- i don't see why we would want to sign Richard Wood (for a fee as well) when there are so many other options out there.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

Haven't you caught on yet?

We're being linked with every Tom, Richard and Harry that might be wanting a new club and a whole load who don't. Not to mention those who have had a past connection with Wednesday or DJ and not forgetting all those who haven't.

I absolutely agree, however it's a long Summer my friend so people are obviously twiddling their thumbs waiting to demolish the Championship. . When there's nothing more to talk about it's natural for rumours like this to be emphasized.

Now excuse me while I go and finish writing my book on sports fan psychology.

Even inspite of all of the contract wrangling and transfer request stuff that went on in the past, the fundamental issue I have with us going back in for him is that he couldn't even get in the team at Coventry (he played 17 times for 'em last season) and that was when they were playing badly (and eventually relegated.) That was after spending 3 or 4 seasons with us in the Championship and him never looking that great either.

We're trying to build a squad to get us out of the Championship- i don't see why we would want to sign Richard Wood (for a fee as well) when there are so many other options out there.

Im not advocating signing him - i also think it would be a strange move and wouldnt be keen on it - just dont think the pilloring he gets every time his name brought up is necessarily fair or objective. "he left us so hes poo poo", typical Owlstalk blinker approach. he wasnt bad for us, infact i thought he was pretty decent in our promotion push, his subsequent actions shouldnt detract from that.

You're not sure he can be blamed for lying to the chairman, deliberately denying the club several hundred grand in lost transfer fees, possibly securing some of that wedge for himself and his agent in the process, and indirectly contributing somewhat to the club being in the High Court !?

If I'm ever in the dock I hope you're the judge.

Really?

Had he stayed instead of signing Purse, we may well have stayed up. Had he stayed and gone down with us, he would have been sold for Peanuts, as Grant and Tudgay were. He was told there was no money to pay him what he wanted (whether what he wanted was realistic i dont know) and then saw Purse brought in on more money. Do i blame him for deciding to **** off? not really. would things have panned out any better for him had he stayed? probably not.

all ifs, maybes and possiblys, we moved on and hes gone backwards. Thats life.

Had he stayed instead of signing Purse, we may well have stayed up. Had he stayed and gone down with us, he would have been sold for Peanuts, as Grant and Tudgay were. He was told there was no money to pay him what he wanted (whether what he wanted was realistic i dont know) and then saw Purse brought in on more money. Do i blame him for deciding to **** off? not really. would things have panned out any better for him had he stayed? probably not.

all ifs, maybes and possiblys, we moved on and hes gone backwards. Thats life.

Some wild and selective speculation in there.

Given that Mr Strafford is a semi-regular poster on this site, I take it you're happy to go on the record that he is a liar then? Because he told us that Wood was made an offer that would make him the highest paid defensive player at the club.

Guest intercity0wl

Given that Mr Strafford is a semi-regular poster on this site, I take it you're happy to go on the record that he is a liar then? Because he told us that Wood was made an offer that would make him the highest paid defensive player at the club.

Can i second that question please.

He told us a lot of stuff.

From memory we could have shifted him in the previous window for a lot more money but he said he wanted to stay. He then stalled in talks asking for too much money. He did not handle it very well.

The club stripped him of his captaincy which was reactive in my opinion. It was not handled very well.

None of this should be judged in the scenario we are in now. We were a club rotten to the core that had a very negative impact on many a good player and manager.

If he is good enough for DJ he is good enough for me. I hope if he comes back everyone gets behind him. Onwards and upwards.

To be fair, Mr Strafford generally praised Wood a few weeks ago when this issue came up. He laid much more of the blame with the player's agent, Imre Varadi.

Was Mr Strafford your teacher or something? Why refer to him like that?

Richard wood is one of those players that brings out the old tensions and divisions in owlstalk.

Seems to me that people's opinion of him is wrapped up in all that past stuff at the time.

He is a good defender who took a bad decision. If he comes bac k- fine by me. But I don't think we need another defender.

Can i second that question please.

Disagreeing with your opinion isnt illegal, so im not sure why you are trying to twist my words into saying things i quite clearly havent. at which point have i called Lee a liar? FWIW My opinion is based on what iv heard, i tend to think that most people rarely tell the full truth so im sure there are parts of both parties versions that are true, and perhaps parts that arent the full story, or are told with an obvious bias to their own version.

Personally, i think Wood showed a weak character by allowing his agent to try and play hard ball, but i think the signing of Purse quite clearly pushed matters on. And again, would you blame him? Purse wasnt worth the money we paid him and again, by accounts, Wood was on less than Purse. Im sure if im incorrect, someone will come on here and tell me different and im happy to be corrected.

My original point, before you turned this into a me-defending-wood discussion, was that Wood wasnt really that bad for us. I thought he was a decent centre half who probably should have done more with his career than he has done. And he had his reasons for leaving, some of which i can understand from his point of view. Not that i agree with them, just that i can see them.

Id be surprised if he was the kind of player we were looking at now, but i cant agree with people who say hes sh!te, and who only say it because they are bitter about the circumstances he left us in.

Disagreeing with your opinion isnt illegal, so im not sure why you are trying to twist my words into saying things i quite clearly havent. at which point have i called Lee a liar? FWIW My opinion is based on what iv heard, i tend to think that most people rarely tell the full truth so im sure there are parts of both parties versions that are true, and perhaps parts that arent the full story, or are told with an obvious bias to their own version.

Personally, i think Wood showed a weak character by allowing his agent to try and play hard ball, but i think the signing of Purse quite clearly pushed matters on. And again, would you blame him? Purse wasnt worth the money we paid him and again, by accounts, Wood was on less than Purse. Im sure if im incorrect, someone will come on here and tell me different and im happy to be corrected.

My original point, before you turned this into a me-defending-wood discussion, was that Wood wasnt really that bad for us. I thought he was a decent centre half who probably should have done more with his career than he has done. And he had his reasons for leaving, some of which i can understand from his point of view. Not that i agree with them, just that i can see them.

Id be surprised if he was the kind of player we were looking at now, but i cant agree with people who say hes sh!te, and who only say it because they are bitter about the circumstances he left us in.

+1 . Totally agree with you.

Disagreeing with your opinion isnt illegal, so im not sure why you are trying to twist my words into saying things i quite clearly havent. at which point have i called Lee a liar?

It is a matter of public record that Strafford said he offered to make Wood the highest paid defender at the club. This and your quote below are mutually exclusive. So if you believe what you posted is true, then by inference you are very clearly saying that the chairman lied to the press and the fans.

I agree with pretty much all of the rest of your post.

He was told there was no money to pay him what he wanted (whether what he wanted was realistic i dont know) and then saw Purse brought in on more money.