Rhodes closer to Reading move

Guest Selby-Owl

You're not getting what I'm saying.

I think I do.. you're saying maybe they don't want to sell or that their valuation of him is a lot higher than we think?

I'm just saying if he does go to Huddersfield then it's our fault for not meeting the asking price (if there is one)

I heard from a mate who supports Udders that he will go to Reading, Antonio and Morrison going there way plus cash..

If he does then so be it, i'd be gutted but as the Marshall saga proved move on and get someone else

I heard from a mate who supports Udders that he will go to Reading, Antonio and Morrison going there way plus cash..

If he does then so be it, i'd be gutted but as the Marshall saga proved move on and get someone else

We hear this all the time, The fact is nobody knows where Antonio is going yet.

We can't afford Antonio, we were obviously putting hopes on him not being in their squad and then going after a loan.

Of he goes to Hudds it's only cos they have a commodity they can use, in Rhodes, not that they have more money or ambition.

I think I do.. you're saying maybe they don't want to sell or that their valuation of him is a lot higher than we think?

I'm just saying if he does go to Huddersfield then it's our fault for not meeting the asking price (if there is one)

Of he goes to Hudds it's only cos they have a commodity they can use, in Rhodes, not that they have more money or ambition.

Pretty much summed up nicely here.

Its not a slave dealing market. Players and their agents make all the decisions about their future. Reading may try and get him to move as part of an exchange deal. However, a young player like Antonio is ambitious and he will go where he thinks his future is plus where he can earn a bit more money. We know a move to Hillsborough would feed his ambition, not sure if we can offer the wages he wants right away.

My guess is that he will dig his heels in and resist a move to Huddersfield. That might blow the Rhodes deal for Reading but Antonio won't have that as a priority!

Guest wincobankowl

If they sign Rhodes as well as Pogrebnyak that means ALF will be even further down the pecking order.

Anyone fancy another 50 page ALF transfer thread? :biggrin:

Guest JonTheOwl66

I think the point is.. We couldn't get somebody at such a good age for such a cheap price.

I think the point is.. We couldn't get somebody at such a good age for such a cheap price.

Why couldn't we? What are you talking about?

People say this as if Antonio is the best young winger in the country. A player completely irreplaceable. Seven months ago there are people on this forum who had never even heard of Antonio. Twelve months ago there are people on this forum who had never heard of Marshall. An even greater number might have heard of them but know f*ck all about them. We have a scouting system for a reason, and it's a system that has worked for us before with both Marshall and Antonio.

You have NO idea who they'll highlight next for this club, or who is available as cheap, or as young. You've no f*cking idea.

As for Rhodes, £6m plus two players is one hell of a fee for a player who is largely unproven above League One football. But, eh. If Antonio goes there (and I'm still not convinced he will. Surely that CB they had is a more likely deal at this point) then we move on and we replace him.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Why couldn't we? What are you talking about?

People say this as if Antonio is the best young winger in the country. A player completely irreplaceable. Seven months ago there are people on this forum who had never even heard of Antonio. Twelve months ago there are people on this forum who had never heard of Marshall. An even greater number might have heard of them but know f*ck all about them. We have a scouting system for a reason, and it's a system that has worked for us before with both Marshall and Antonio.

You have NO idea who they'll highlight next for this club, or who is available as cheap, or as young. You've no f*cking idea.

As for Rhodes, £6m plus two players is one hell of a fee for a player who is largely unproven above League One football. But, eh. If Antonio goes there (and I'm still not convinced he will. Surely that CB they had is a more likely deal at this point) then we move on and we replace him.

He's 22.. He's an excellent young player. I highly doubt there are many players that we could sign for £700k that compare to Antonio.

Of course, he ain't a flipping world beater. There are many, many, many better wingers out there we could sign. But how many of them would cost as little as £700k?

Hell, he's had half a season with us. He fitted in. We could sign somebody far better than Antonio and he might not fit in. It'd be a travesty if we let him slip after what happened with Ben Marshall.

I don't doubt that if we do miss out we'll sign somebody as a replacement. But it would be a huge chance wasted, especially if he moved to a rival.

That's just my opinion though. Shoot me down if you like.

Edited by JonTheOwl66