Rhodes closer to Reading move

Guest Selby-Owl

I agree with Jon - it's all good losing out on players like Antonio, but if we're not willing to part with 700k (a small amount for a championship club) then I'd be gutted and even now, I'm still a bit miffed we didn't fork out for Marshall earlier on - 750k for him was a bargin.

If confirmed that Huddersfield are interested and let's be right it's not confirmed that they are....then it isn't going to be the news many are hoping for regarding him coming to us.

DJ seems to have already intimated towards it so we will know more once Rhodes' proposed transfer is sorted out. What is abundantly clear is that Reading are holding all the cards with him and are perhaps using him as a make weight to try and get a lower fee on Rhodes whilst getting 2 players they don't want off their books.

Sorry but I don't agree with it coming down to player choice, if he gets a chunk of the last year of his contract paid by Reading and a good deal at Huddersfield then it forces our hand to bid higher. He is not worth any more than 700k.....they are having our pants down if we go over that figure being as he was only being touted at 350k before he came to us.

I hope they don't want him and cannot see that they need him after signing another winger but stranger things have happened.

Guest foreverSWFC

IMO it will be a huge blow if we don't sign Antonio. Lightning doesn't strike twice, we did well to find a player as good as Antonio after Marshall, I really doubt we'd find somebody better.

Are Reading really going to sign both Pogrebnyak, a deal virtually done, and Rhodes? Wouldn't they just get in each others way?

What if we just got lucky with both Marshall and Antonio last season, and there isn't " always another one out there"? If there is why haven't the scouting systems of other clubs spotted these wingers that we can pick up to replace them at Championship level for 350k or 750k or even on loan?

As a matter of interest why hasn't Antonio shown up on more clubs radar after the way he played for us and why hasn't one of them snapped him up?

Finally we know what we would get with Antonio ( and previously Marshall), we could make a marquee signing of let's say 2m and it may not work out, its happened before.

We do not know the ins and outs of the player's contract. For all we know Reading might release something like this so we blink and buy before he gets any bonuses. Or maybe it is the player's agent doing the same but we pay over the odds.

If we sign him, great. If we don',t we can cry about it or move fvking on.

Personally I think Antonio is a more consistant JJ, both have similar issues with stamina, delivery and passing ability but Antonio is young and can work at his game.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey

Guest Fedor

Its a well known fact that Keith Hill likes O Grady and M Jones, could we not get Butterfield in exchange. Thus signing a quality player and getting two players off the books who seem surplus to requirements.

Less concerned about Treacy tbh good enough but doesn't stand out like Antonio. Yes, we can move on, blah blah, agreed and we will find a good replacement I would like to think.

However losing out on him to one of your rivals who came up with you to the same division over money would really sting

Guest Markowl1

01 Jul 2012 16:33:55

Pavel Pobgrenyak's transfer from Stuutgart to Reading will be complete with in 7 days assuming no problems regarding work permit. Also heard number of reports suggesting Rhodes deal off and Defoe is on way to Reading. With Mcclearly, Guthrie and Pavel seemingly signed be sure a CB and/or RB to follow (bassong, gunter, bertrand or clyne)

Says on reading rumours also says they are signing a winger from marseille

Guest Markowl1

01 Jul 2012 09:23:29

Heard from a few reliable sources Rhodes is staying at hudders.. Looking like Defoe could be coming? {Ed001's Note - I take it you mean to Reading instead of Rhodes?}

Rhodes is leaving, that is for certain. Simon Grayson wants him to go to Reading because he wants Morrison back at the Galpharm.

Reading submitted a £5.5m offer last week but it is not clear if it has been accepted yet.

Says on reading website

Guest StamfordOwl

Antonio wont be going to Huddersfield. He has stated that he will only move out of the London area to come to sheffield wednesday, he said that publicly towards the end of the season follow the comment "its down to Reading" a new £450k bid will be accepted next week and he will become our player towards the end of next week.

Keep the faith ;)

Guest Bertyofcleck

01 Jul 2012 09:23:29

Heard from a few reliable sources Rhodes is staying at hudders.. Looking like Defoe could be coming? {Ed001's Note - I take it you mean to Reading instead of Rhodes?}

Rhodes is leaving, that is for certain. Simon Grayson wants him to go to Reading because he wants Morrison back at the Galpharm.

Reading submitted a £5.5m offer last week but it is not clear if it has been accepted yet.

Says on reading website

You are correct that Huddersfield would like to sign Sean Morrison,

and they have enquired about him.

If Reading are unwilling to sell, Huddersfield are making plans for that scenario.

You are totally incorrect about wanting Jordan Rhodes to go to Reading.

Town do not need to sell Rhodes to be able to sign players.

Guest Bertyofcleck

None of this is going to happen anyway is it?

All those Huddersfield fans have been telling us for months that Rhodes absolutely will not be leaving, so that's the end of that.

We did when you were all saying that he was definitely leaving in January lol.

Obviously Jordan will leave one day.

It just won't be for a good while yet.

Guest Dadders

Whilst I have faith in DJ and his scouting, and understand others saying if we don't get Antonio then they'll be another and another, the point should be made that for every Ben

Marshall and Michael Antonio there is a Sanchez Watt waiting out there to seemingly attract but then flatter to deceive. Not to put too finer point on it, I believe Michael Antonio is the difference between midtable mediocrity and a playoff challenge (or better). His time is now and he'll rip up that league

Relax, DJ knows this league inside out. Players may move elsewhere or get injured so we cannot hang our season on one player.

That said I would welcome Antonio and think he was awesome for us last season, but if he aint coming we move on, same as with Marshall.....DJ will have other options and when the time is right Milan will open the cheque book.

It will come down to the kit and unfortunately...udders new Umbro kit is far superior to ours..boo!

I agree, except the stripes are the wrong way round, put our blue stripe in the middle and black shorts and it would be perfect.